JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As some of you may know the wife and I will be making a move to Arizona some time this year. Worst case will be in late October or early November.

My biggest concern is moving my guns and reloading equipment. I am going to start packing things up now but want to know how you guys that have moved longer distances transported your guns. I figured the safe would go into the moving truck but the guns somehow have to come with me. :confused:

Guns in locked Pelican cases in the car with me. Cheap-appearing articles like kids' stuffed animals covering them from view.

Don't have kids and or stuffed animals and I would need a way bigger car! I will be driving my Dodge truck with a locking cover on the 8 foot bed. But I also don't want to carry all the guns in and out of hotel rooms on the drive. :(

I wouldn't trust a locking bed cover overnight. In that case I would back up the pickup to a motel door to minimize visibility when you do the shift. Or backup the truck to your motel door and instead of only relying on the bed cover, run chain through the pelican case handles and padlocks and lock the chain to your truck. If someone is breaking into that setup ten feet from your motel bed I'd think it would make enough noise to wake you up.

Why not a one way U-Haul box truck?

It has crossed my mind but its not cheap by the time you pay for mileage and fuel. And then there is the not all my crap will fit in a U-haul. I found a company that will drop a semi trailer in your driveway, we do all the loading and they charge by the foot. After that they put up a curtain and drop it at the next house and then deliver it. Again don't trust my guns in something like that.

Find a buddy or if your wife is up to it , tag team that drive straight through.

Thought about that as well and let the wife just fly so she doesn't have to worry about anything. Straight through would be a bubblegum but I could stop and catch naps in the cab of my truck. Or I find a couple friends that want to make the drive and we just rotate driving.

If you are driving the truck, keep the guns in the safe. Safe should be loaded first anyways so the weight is closer to the cab. So thieves would have to dig all the way to the front of the box to get to a locked safe. If your at a hotel type thing. I don't see that happening.

If using services it should be fine, if you don't trust them I get it.

Perhaps you could ship them all to a FFL in the area of your new home.

Moving is stressful. I wish you the best and I hope Arizona will make a good new home for you!

I've done 900 plus miles solo a couple of times in the last 10 years. Doable but the older I get the less I like it. Better to have a buddy to bs with and spell you on the driving. Probably just cost you some meals and a one way plane ticket for the right guy.

Guns in locked Pelican cases in the car with me. Cheap-appearing articles like kids' stuffed animals covering them from view.
When I moved from Nevada to Idaho this November, I bought some cheap $10 plastic single rifle cases. Ended up buyin 5-6 in addition to what I already had.Had them in the back of my Mega Cab. My dog was a little cramped, but she dealt.

I did decide to leave my safe in Nevada. My friend / R.A./shooting bud did me an incredible favor on selling my house. She charged me almost nothin, saving me $25K in commisions. I bought her a Ruger GP100 and gave her my safe.

It has crossed my mind but its not cheap by the time you pay for mileage and fuel. And then there is the not all my crap will fit in a U-haul. I found a company that will drop a semi trailer in your driveway, we do all the loading and they charge by the foot. After that they put up a curtain and drop it at the next house and then deliver it. Again don't trust my guns in something like that.

Okay....For some reason I figured you were hiring a moving company for the "regular" stuff. No way I will try to move my regular house stuff when we go. I figure I'll rent the truck for the safe and reloading, some garage stuff and misc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top