JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some really terrible and dangerous advice in here.

Alot of people get maimed and killed every year trying to move safes and other heavy objects.

USE A PRO. They have the equipment and knowledge.

Bros at the gym know nothing of rigging and moving heavy equipment safely. What is this 1970 people just think they will find people willing to do very hard work for free or a happy meal?

A 1800 pound safe is a wrecking ball and can do 50 times its value in damage to your home.

A 1800 pound safe could destroy concrete steps/stairs, especially if it falls and there is no rebar in it, or depending on attachment.

A motorcycle dolly will not only fail but when it does it will probably kill whoever is behind it.

You aint sliding a safe that heavy on carpet. You can't even slide a 500 pound safe on carpet.

Last safe I moved was 700 lbs. With the use of a bobcat and lots of tennis balls, lots of straps. 2 very strong and intelligent people could move it after taking the door off.

It sounds like a nice GUNSAFE, not a cheap RSC. Sans moving costs, you could probably get $3k for it if you are lucky. Subtract another 4-800 for transport and moving costs.

If you really want to sell it, contact a safe store and see how much they will give you to trade in on a smaller model and they can move both. You might take a bath sans private sale then again may come out ahead factoring in moving costs.

The other aspect is anything smaller than what you have is not a real safe. More like a tin can. Anything short of something like a AMSEC BF can be popped open in less than 5 mins with an angle grinder and a pry bar. You may end up severely downgrading and having much less security as a result.

I would Just keep it. Its a quality safe and you never know what else you may want to protect. You could build out shelves in it for document/electronics/ect storage as well.

This is what is required to properly move a 800 pound safe:

Here is what happens when bronies try:

I bought my gun safe from NW Safe and they did an excellent job. They used a unmarked truck and left the box on the safe until they got the safe inside. I assuming this video was done just to show steps involved so that why the box was off. You don't want to know someone has a gun safe in you home if at all possible.

Safe movers are also bonded and insured. So in the rare case something does happen, you are covered. Many safe companies also require backround checks on their dealers and employees to ensure criminals are not walking into your house.

At the end of the day, A penny of prevention is cheaper than a dollar of cure.

An option is that you could put the moving cost on the buyer with a statement that the buyer is responsible for hiring a licensed/insured professional mover. I would wager you could get more out of the deal this way.

An option is that you could put the moving cost on the buyer with a statement that the buyer is responsible for hiring a licensed/insured professional mover. I would wager you could get more out of the deal this way.

Agreed. I bought a used safe, and had a pro company pick it up, transport it, and install it for me. Was easy and painless, and well worth the money.

Biggest issues are potentially:

Home or property damage
Personal injury
Overall liability for injury or damage

In the end it's just not worth it to mess around with something like this by yourself, or allow others to do so on your property.

Some really terrible and dangerous advice in here.

Alot of people get maimed and killed every year trying to move safes and other heavy objects.

USE A PRO. They have the equipment and knowledge.

Bros at the gym know nothing of rigging and moving heavy equipment safely. What is this 1970 people just think they will find people willing to do very hard work for free or a happy meal?

A 1800 pound safe is a wrecking ball and can do 50 times its value in damage to your home.

A 1800 pound safe could destroy concrete steps/stairs, especially if it falls and there is no rebar in it, or depending on attachment.

A motorcycle dolly will not only fail but when it does it will probably kill whoever is behind it.

You aint sliding a safe that heavy on carpet. You can't even slide a 500 pound safe on carpet.

Last safe I moved was 700 lbs. With the use of a bobcat and lots of tennis balls, lots of straps. 2 very strong and intelligent people could move it after taking the door off.

It sounds like a nice GUNSAFE, not a cheap RSC. Sans moving costs, you could probably get $3k for it if you are lucky. Subtract another 4-800 for transport and moving costs.

If you really want to sell it, contact a safe store and see how much they will give you to trade in on a smaller model and they can move both. You might take a bath sans private sale then again may come out ahead factoring in moving costs.

The other aspect is anything smaller than what you have is not a real safe. More like a tin can. Anything short of something like a AMSEC BF can be popped open in less than 5 mins with an angle grinder and a pry bar. You may end up severely downgrading and having much less security as a result.

I would Just keep it. Its a quality safe and you never know what else you may want to protect. You could build out shelves in it for document/electronics/ect storage as well.

This is what is required to properly move a 800 pound safe:

Here is what happens when bronies try:

I bought my gun safe from NW Safe and they did an excellent job. They used a unmarked truck and left the box on the safe on until they got the safe into the house.

got mine form FT Knox NW.. same guys who were at the gunshows.. it was the same, unmarked truck, cover was not removes till it was in the house.. so anyone who saw knew, i got a new fridge ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top