JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok, i have reduced my firearms by quite alot in the last few years and i don't really need the safe that I now own. I am thinking of selling it and getting something smaller.. now the question.. The safe is VERY heavy and i dont know if id trust Larry and Mo to come and move it without the real risk of it tipping and someone getting squashed.. or worse, my house being damaged..

What would someone recommend? the buyer getting a pro? or just letting someone deal with it and letting them move it themselves ?

ps. the person who installed it.. was 1 guy and I helped some so i know it can be done.. but i have a feeling that he did it many many times before.. and we know how most of us are " oh hell, it only weights a ton and a half, bubblegum.. i can do that myself.." :rolleyes:

ok, i have reduced my firearms by quite alot in the last few years and i don't really need the safe that I now own. I am thinking of selling it and getting something smaller.. now the question.. The safe is VERY heavy and i dont know if id trust Larry and Mo to come and move it without the real risk of it tipping and someone getting squashed.. or worse, my house being damaged..

What would someone recommend? the buyer getting a pro? or just letting someone deal with it and letting them move it themselves ?

ps. the person who installed it.. was 1 guy and I helped some so i know it can be done.. but i have a feeling that he did it many many times before.. and we know how most of us are " oh hell, it only weights a ton and a half, bubblegum.. i can do that myself.." :rolleyes:
Call a safe company (Liberty?) and ask if they will move it. They'll have the equipment and the dollys to get it done.

that might be the best plan, get a quote and then bake the cost into the price if I do sell it. I have a feeling that it wont be cheap. I think the install was $300 ? maybe more.. i dont remember now

there are 3 steps at the front door. I think it was installed with levers and rollers. I was a little suprised 1 person could do it tbh, the thing literately weighs a ton or more

Maybe the outfit that sells you a newer smaller safe will give you a discount in moving the old one to the buyers address if it's local.
That might be attractive to a potential buyer.

Hang outside the gym amd just ask any groups of big dudes if they could help you, especially if they are college age. Offer to pay them something decent for their time, and/or buy fast food too. I played offensive line in college, and was always moving big stuff. My principal in High school pulled all of us out of class one day to move a piano at his house. Remerember safes can slide on carpet, and if you have hardwood you can put a moving blanket under it and push/pull. Use ratchet straps (big ones) to strap a dolly to the safe, maybe two dollies, make sure the wheels are solid rubber/plastic. You can swap cheap new ones on at harbor freight that have high weight tolerances. As for the streps, I use a motorcycle ramp. Remember you can always patch drywall if something goes south.

theres rental safe dollys at some of these tool rental/moving places around salem like herc rentals, budget, uhaul or united rentals type places. a co worker rented one and moved his 60 gun safe by himself up stairs onto his porch then into his house.

and yes. always be on the uphill side...:D

Some really terrible and dangerous advice in here.

Alot of people get maimed and killed every year trying to move safes and other heavy objects.

USE A PRO. They have the equipment and knowledge.

Bros at the gym know nothing of rigging and moving heavy equipment safely. What is this 1970 people just think they will find people willing to do very hard work for free or a happy meal?

A 1800 pound safe is a wrecking ball and can do 50 times its value in damage to your home.

A 1800 pound safe could destroy concrete steps/stairs, especially if it falls and there is no rebar in it, or depending on attachment.

A motorcycle dolly will not only fail but when it does it will probably kill whoever is behind it.

You aint sliding a safe that heavy on carpet. You can't even slide a 500 pound safe on carpet.

Last safe I moved was 700 lbs. With the use of a bobcat and lots of tennis balls, lots of straps. 2 very strong and intelligent people could move it after taking the door off.

It sounds like a nice GUNSAFE, not a cheap RSC. Sans moving costs, you could probably get $3k for it if you are lucky. Subtract another 4-800 for transport and moving costs.

If you really want to sell it, contact a safe store and see how much they will give you to trade in on a smaller model and they can move both. You might take a bath sans private sale then again may come out ahead factoring in moving costs.

The other aspect is anything smaller than what you have is not a real safe. More like a tin can. Anything short of something like a AMSEC BF can be popped open in less than 5 mins with an angle grinder and a pry bar. You may end up severely downgrading and having much less security as a result.

I would Just keep it. Its a quality safe and you never know what else you may want to protect. You could build out shelves in it for document/electronics/ect storage as well.

This is what is required to properly move a 800 pound safe:

Here is what happens when bronies try:

Some really terrible and dangerous advice in here.

Alot of people get maimed and killed every year trying to move safes and other heavy objects.

USE A PRO. They have the equipment and knowledge.

Bros at the gym know nothing of rigging and moving heavy equipment safely. What is this 1970 people just think they will find people willing to do very hard work for free or a happy meal?

A 1800 pound safe is a wrecking ball and can do 50 times its value in damage to your home.

A 1800 pound safe could destroy concrete steps/stairs, especially if it falls and there is no rebar in it, or depending on attachment.

A motorcycle dolly will not only fail but when it does it will probably kill whoever is behind it.

You aint sliding a safe that heavy on carpet. You can't even slide a 500 pound safe on carpet.

Last safe I moved was 700 lbs. With the use of a bobcat and lots of tennis balls, lots of straps. 2 very strong and intelligent people could move it after taking the door off.

It sounds like a nice GUNSAFE, not a cheap RSC. Sans moving costs, you could probably get $3k for it if you are lucky. Subtract another 4-800 for transport and moving costs.

If you really want to sell it, contact a safe store and see how much they will give you to trade in on a smaller model and they can move both. You might take a bath sans private sale then again may come out ahead factoring in moving costs.

The other aspect is anything smaller than what you have is not a real safe. More like a tin can. Anything short of something like a AMSEC BF can be popped open in less than 5 mins with an angle grinder and a pry bar. You may end up severely downgrading and having much less security as a result.

I would Just keep it. Its a quality safe and you never know what else you may want to protect. You could build out shelves in it for document/electronics/ect storage as well.

This is what is required to properly move a 800 pound safe:

Here is what happens when bronies try:

Yea, listen to this guy, my first round of advice probably wouldn't work for one this big. Forgot about the 1800 pound part! Worked for me eith one other guy, but mine is in the 700 pound range. Your safe would have ALOT of force if it got off balance, injuries are good to think about.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top