JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone recommend how to have a 1300 pound (empty) gun safe moved from state to state within the Northwest? It will be from garage to garage and no steep/long driveways. It will be empty and I will transport the contents myself.

Just have a moving company do it? Most gun safe move/install places I've read about seem to be within a region.

Dang - that is a big safe! If you don't have the wherewithal or inclination to do it yourself [I probably wouldn't] I would contact a freight company. Might be a little pricey.

PS - where are you going in Idaho?

We took a small utility trailer and tilted it up against the back of the safe and used the trailer as a lever to lay the safe down on it's back in the trailer. You can slide it around, if you lay it on several sheets of plastic.

Caution!!! :eek: This process requires the use of three gorillas.:p :rolleyes:

We took a small utility trailer and tilted it up against the back of the safe and used the trailer as a lever to lay the safe down on it's back in the trailer. You can slide it around, if you lay it on several sheets of plastic.

Caution!!! :eek: This process requires the use of three gorillas.:p :rolleyes:

That's a good idea - I was thinking Tommy Lift, but using the trailer axle as a mechanical advantage is good!

Now you just need some gorillas! :p

i have one about that size......I used "suction handles" you can buy at Harbor Ft, a couple BIG guys, and some teflon sheets about 18" x 12".....moved them as I move the safe, so I did it with 4 pieces.

Loading it by tilting it and again sliding on teflon worked well.

Good Luck!:)

Watch your Back!!:D:D

Enterprise rents trucks with lift gates. I don't know the weight capacity of the lift gate so a call would need to be made.

Rollers, lifting straps and as many young strong backs as you fit around the safe.

It would help to know what resources you have available (i.e. dolly's, engine hoist, tractor, etc..) and also to know a bit about your plans for the move to Idaho. Are you using/own a utility trailer, renting a u-haul, etc... I have helped with a handful of safe moves and each one required a different creative solution due to the specific circumstances. You have already received a lot of great options. I am a do it yourselfer because I don't usually trust the monkeys used by professional moving companies.

Garage to garage no steps. rent a liftgate truck, buy a couple pvc pipes cut it to about 2ft lengths you will need about 5 or 6 of them. tilt the safe roll the pipes under the safe. At the truck lean safe back, liftgate down back under the safe pvc pipe again in the truck. Reverse for unloading 2 people no monkey's.

These are some great ideas, I'm not inclined to do it myself - hoping to hire it out. However, you've all given some good ideas to tempt me if I find enough gorillas. Sorry I didn't give a ton of information/detail. For example, I knew we'd be moving in few years when I bought it, so I left it on the pallet (add that to the list of things I should have mentioned). So, yeah, that's an option with a pallet jack & lift-gate truck.

re: what resources I have. My wits and a big arse heavy safe, and a couple of vehicles not rated for towing that much weight. I'm not the trusting type either, but if someone moves heavy safes all the time, I'm willing to hire that out rather than risk screwing it up myself.

Still, I'll be renting a truck for the move, so choosing one with a lift-gate and hiring some gorillas on either end could work.

re: time for a new safe. Man, I thought about that. Wife would kill me.

Have a Machinery sling, call a tow truck with a boom have them load it and do the same at the other end to unload it.

Or rent a large tractor with a bucket big enough to do the lift. Should be able to rent one at each end.

Or a shipping yard size forklift.

The pallet makes a big difference. Ask around or check Craig's List for someone with a small forklift or front end loader with forks to come and pick it up and put it in the truck for you; use a pallet jack in the truck. A lot of guys with those types of machines will work on the side on the way to or home from work for a reasonable rate. My safe is smaller and I used a refridgerator dolly and a couple of big sons in law. Good luck.

A 3/4 ton truck would suffice in moving an empty 1300# safe.
I had a 400?lb safe once and moved it my self fairly easily. I just picked it up with those sheetrock straps and.....oh yeah I dreamed that.
Actually I put a strap around the bottom of the safe and hooked it to the bumper,as to keep the bottom from sliding away from the truck. Then I put a strap around the safe and under the handles. Now this was done loading it in a mazda pickup ,so it was lower than the middle of the safe. I took a come-a-long and hooked the strap and the front of the truck box and pulled the safe into the truck,on it's back.
I reversed the process to get it out.
Kinda scary how easy it was to move
This could be done with a sheet of plywood under/behind the safe,to pull it into a pickup.
So if you have a friend with a 2wd 3/4 ton truck,have them help move it.
Then you have someone you trust knowing where your safe is.

Just to close the loop on this in case anyone finds this thread later. I rented a pallet jack at Home Depot and loaded it into an ABF pod. The lip is only about 6" high but higher than the jack can lift alone so I built a ramp. Strapped it down safely in the pod, it was easy-peasy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top