JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm jazzed!

A while back, Oldkim put out a very generous invitation to attend an IDPA-style introductory course at the Renton Fish & Game Club.

Today was the day, and quite a number of interested newbies like myself showed up for a fun and instructive learning experience - and hot dogs!

We all got the chance to discover just how challenging shooting on the move can be.

I can move...or I can find my front sight...you want me to do both at the same time? And remember the course of fire and keep track of how many shots I've fired and reload?

It aint easy - but it sure is fun!

We also got to shoot some reactive steel (another first for me) - and that was great fun, as well.

I've only been shooting seriously for a couple of years, mostly at a range (Sam's) standing still. Drawing from the holster is not allowed there, and moving is out of the question.

Of course, that will NEVER be the circumstances in a self-defense shooting incident.

Drawing from concealment, obtaining a sight picture, moving and firing is a much closer approximation of the real thing.

I need to do this a whole lot more - and I'm pretty sure I'll be joining RF&GC and getting involved in IDPA.

Thanks again old(young)kim! And thanks to the club for allowing a bunch of non-members to share their range.

I attended this event as well - it was a very enjoyable experience. Nice to be able to practice drawing your weapon, moving while firing, and using cover. Much more useful (and more fun) than a typical day at the range. Fun group of people to shoot with, too.

A huge thanks to oldkim and his range assistants for putting this event on! :s0155:

hey guys sounds like you all had some fun if you got the time come down to Puyallup for my steel match at Paul Bunyan sportsmens club the 3rd sunday of each month and have some fun with us to ....:D:D

...come down to Puyallup for my steel match at Paul Bunyan sportsmens club the 3rd sunday of each month and have some fun with us too...

I'd love to! Do you shoot frangible only, or is any old target ammo OK? I'm having a problem finding regular .38 special - and no luck at all finding frangible ammo.

Thanks to everyone that came to the shoot on Saturday. Randy and Christian were great assistants and I really appreciated how everyone pitched in to help out and make it a fun day.

Yes, there are events out there for competition but nothing to just let you shoot and have fun. This is really a day to go out and have fun and do something most folks don't get a chance to do.

From a practical sense concealed pistol carriers were able to practice, drawing from their holsters and also shooting on the move. Things unheard of unless you drive to the hills and risk shooting in an unauthorized area or run into some risky people. Some ranges will allow you to draw from a holster but you can't move and engage multiple targets.

The best part for me was to see all the happy grins on the folks that just shot a long string, from drawing, to shooting on the move and to reload and shoot 3 or 4 magazines at one continuous stage.

For those out there - get your CPL (concealed pistol license) and join me next time!

Young Kim, NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
RFGC member

Any chance that this event will happen again? I missed your first one. =( I have a CPL and a membership at RFGC but I'm still intimidated and don't know how to get started in competitions let alone stepping in the action bays. Please throw another event!

Thanks

Any chance that this event will happen again?

You may be in luck! the following was recently posted by Young, aka "oldkim":

Another chance to go practice....

Looking at Sunday, May 17th for another practice day for CPL holders at Renton Fish and Game Club.

Format will be a bit different as I'm doing just one block time. So, start at 10 and goes until 1pm (so only 3 hours). No walk on's and if your late past 10:30 you don't shoot. Everyone starts together and you can go home anytime.

I'm planning to have 3 bays open so you can choose which one you want.

Bay 1 will focus on running basic and intermediate scenarios

Bay 2 will be more one to one basic instruction for those interested. Basic movement forward and back and

Bay 3 will be open for you to use and practice what you need. I'll have a role of steel plates up (30 feet for safety) No you do not need frangibles. Everyone will be 30 feet back. This will be a fast shoot and we'll run as many people through.... so be ready.

As usual everyone will go through a safety check at the beginning and we'll go as a cold range. No ammo, no magazine in the firearm, no handling firearms except on the firing line. Anyone breaks these rules and they go home. No second chances. Safety area will be explained at the beginning of the shoot.

So, email me back so I can put you down. For those that have not shot with me you'll go through Bay 2 until your cleared by the RSO (Range Safety Officer) then you can shoot either bays.

Let's have some FUN. Bring lots of ammo and load the magazines up!

Again, Christian and Randy will be helping to run the ranges - thanks to them for their great help in doing this.

Sunday, May 17th at 10! Come a bit early to help set up.

To sign up please contact me and I'll send you more info.
(No walk on's)

Young

This the day-after-tomorrow - so contact him immediately and sign up for a fun day of shooting!

Young Kim ran another great shooting day at RF&GC yesterday. This format allowed everyone to move from bay to bay and keep shooting throughout the four hour session.

Thanks again to Young and Randy and Christian for so generously donating your time and experience and give us the opportunity to move and groove.

In addition to keeping the action moving safely and efficiently, these gentleman were available to answer questions, provide feedback, and make suggestions for improving our technique.

I hope we can do this every month (at least!) until the weather closes in again. I realize these three guys are doing this out of love of the sport and are probably not motivated by monetary gain...

BUT...

I would not be averse to paying a nominal fee ($10-$20?) in order to make it worth their time to keep this going. At least enough to pay for their ammo.

Hello...new member to the forum here.
After getting back into shooting (after a 25 year absence!), I looked online to see what kinds of "practical pistol" shooting events there were in this area. I found that Marysville Rifle Club was putting on an IPSC match yesterday, so I went (as a spectator only). Although it looked like fun, the guns and holsters seemed to be very specialized, which is not really what I wanted...I'm more interested in using the gun/holster combo that I already own, and that I would actually have with me in a self-defense situation.

From both the description here and the info about it on the Web, it sounds like IDPA is really what I'd like...so if you guys are having something on any kind of regular basis, count me in!...and I'd be willing to pay an entry fee (as long as I can find enough 9mm ammo:(

rict

Rict,

If you are interseted in IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) www.idpa.com or USPSA come down to Renton Fish and Game Club in the Renton Highlands. www.rfgc.org

The IDPA match are every 3rd Saturday of each month and USPSA is every 4th Sunday. I believe cost is $10 for range fee and $15 for match - so $25.

You can check out nwppa-idpa.com for the local IDPA discussion on the net.

They have great info on what a new shooter needs in regards to equipment and also what to expect. It does sound like IDPA would be better suited for you as a concealed pistol shooter as your equipment will be almost the same.

It's great fun and a great group of guys running it. Do know that there are many areas in this region you can shoot. You can find that info on nwppa-idpa.com

We had a great time putting it on this time. The change in format is nice and I hope it ran smoothly from your point of view. Your getting really good with that revolver.

Yes, we (Christian and Randy too) do this not for any money as we don't charge anything, therefore, we don't make any money but for the sheer love of our sport. The range fee goes directly to RFGC for non members and members of RFGC are free.

Stay tuned for the next one. No date set yet but I'll get back to you. If you are interested in shooting on the move, drawing from your holster and shooting at a rapid pace - double taps and such - drop me an email.

Please include:
1) Your name
2) contact phone
3) shooting history so I can get an idea of your experience

I'll add you to my email list and send you a direct email of my next practice session.

Please note this is really designed so that people that do carry concealed can practice their carry gear. It's also a great way to see what it feels like to compete without the timer or stress of competition (IDPA or USPSA) and everything else put aside - ITS GREAT FUN!

Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Life Member
RFGC and IDPA member

The change in format is nice and I hope it ran smoothly from your point of view.

I thought it ran very smooth this last time. The best thing about that format is that I was able to start at one station, and when several shooters moved over to that station, I could move to the one they came from. The result was that I never had to wait for more than three or four shooters before it was my turn again. Everyone had the opportunity to work with different scenarios and different instructors and keep shooting.

Well, once again Young Kim, Christian, and Randy put on a great shoot at Renton Fish & Game Club. I shouldn't be advertising this, because every month there are more shooters getting in on this low cost opportunity to learn about practical shooting exercises.

Where else do you get the chance to draw and fire, move and fire, take cover, reload and shoot from cover? All that AND a hot dog roast and a bag of chips!

Thanks guys! I can't wait until next time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top