JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The most local movie when I was a teen was Vision Quest, filmed in Spokane, WA.

Featured Matt Modine and the hottest girl I had seen up to that point in my young life, Linda Fiorentino. Also was Madonna's first appearance on the big screen, IIRC.

View attachment 568551

Holy carp. I watched this movie in high school for a film class while I was actually on the wrestling team. I had no idea it was filmed in the PNW and I have actually repressed the memories of the movie until right this moment.

Loved it, a stellar ending!!! A great movie from back in the day.;)

Sometimes a Great Notion (1971) - IMDb
I'm always in motion with projects, and seldom is the moment I don't have an audiobook going in my earbuds or vehicles. Recalling this epic movie from my teens, I listened to the book a few months ago. Predictably, it was better than the flick - even more so since I already had wonderful faces in mind for all the characters.

Kesey was a master. Besides, the amazing story itself, he deftly dredged up decades of my inner feelings about the soggy, foggy gray, dark green costal Northwest.

Most of the outdoor (non-Chicago) scenes in Continental Divide w John Belushi were filmed at Crystal Mountain (WA) and Glacier Nat'l Park, but I believe it was supposed to be set in Wyoming.

I was gonna mention Shoot to Kill w Tom Berenger, Danny Glover, and a (still-hot) Kirstie Alley, but I think it was shot in BC so technically not PNW... more like CSW.

Also Stakeout w Emilio Estevez and Richard Dreyfuss... set in Seattle but filmed in Vancouver BC.

How 'bout A River Runs Through it and Legends of The Fall... ? Both great movies that take place in MT, although I've read that the latter may have been filmed in Canada...

.... I think I'm not playing this game right

Last Edited:
Holy carp. I watched this movie in high school for a film class while I was actually on the wrestling team. I had no idea it was filmed in the PNW and I have actually repressed the memories of the movie until right this moment.
I know a guy who was in that movie.
My step brothers uncle was Otto the big guy on the team .
That confronted Mathew in the lunchroom.

The Deer hunting scenes in the God Awful movie The Deer Hunter...Were filmed near Mt.Baker Wa...even though the hunt was supposed to be in Pennsylvania.
Andy

I never thought that was a good movie although many people raved about it.

It was supposed to be in PA. Thanks for the info on WA state.

So many, many movies are filmed in Canada and they talk about being in 'western states' in their films.

Cate

The Hunted (2003)
We still have a dvd or blue ray copy of this movie.

It is a good movie!

Cate

This one took some real imagination for me to watch, as I was there for part of the filming, and minutely involved in the set making. My mind would not allow me to accept a person jumping off the Hawthorne Bridge in Portland, and coming to the surface at the Falls in Oregon City.:D

Last Edited:
The most realistic horror movie I've ever seen.. "Seattle Is Dying" is a real hoot.

^^^

This! Thank you.

People/citizens showed this movie, eerr, YOU TUBE news story, to many city council members across my state, not just in my college town, because the CC is just plain crazy blind-deliberately blind to the FACTS and so are many of the SENTENCES (LOL even though it is NOT funny!) when it comes to DEALING with specific problems.

They are tired of complaining and NOT getting anywhere with criminal behavior and health/safety issues!!!

This is what is happening across MANY western states and other states across this nation because of 'many reasons'. Cities, small towns and rural areas.

I will leave it there.

Cate
Typos and the SEATTLE IS DYING link.

Last Edited:
Several years ago I was driving up a steep road in the Deschutes Ntl Forest to a butte near my house called 'Sugarpine Butte' and suddenly realized at a certain point I was looking west out towards the Cascades and I had seen this exact same spot in a movie. It finally came 'to light' when sometime thereafter I watched 'Rooster Cogburn' and realized the place on the butte was the opening scene where Anthony Zerbe and the other bad guys were riding down the road!

I knew about and/or saw several of the movies that were listed here but there were MANY of them that I never saw.

LEGENDS OF THE FALL and A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT are two of my MT born/raised husband's favorite movies. I enjoyed watching them. He kept the dvd or blue ray copies of those movies.

He loves OLD western movies/shows and a few newer ones too. Me too! Grin.

He likes a couple of other movies and shows out there in a few subject matters (Some war movies and some spy movies.) but not too many of them.

(Both of us enjoy many of the BRITISH shows on PBS. Mysteries, some historical type series, etc. Not a NW contribution or filmed there.)

Cate

Several years ago I was driving up a steep road in the Deschutes Ntl Forest to a butte near my house called 'Sugarpine Butte' and suddenly realized at a certain point I was looking west out towards the Cascades and I had seen this exact same spot in a movie. It finally came 'to light' when sometime thereafter I watched 'Rooster Cogburn' and realized the place on the butte was the opening scene where Anthony Zerbe and the other bad guys were riding down the road!

That's cool!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews