Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Movie Preview - The Purge

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ATCclears, May 27, 2013.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

I'm sure it's not an original premise, as most in Hollywood aren't anymore; but it's new to me. I think that looks pretty darn cool.

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Premise is from an OS star trek episode. And thats probably from somewhere as well.
    My woman and i are still going to see it.
    We were talking about the premise itself and it seems like the idea of a kind of "get away with anything day" is for the "have-nots" and thus it would just turn into a looting and rape day marathon.

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looked stoopid to me! "If you don't give our prey up too us we will kill you all!" Really! This is a .308 battle rifle and I reckon if I clear my front yard messily enough the rest of you scum will leave!

5. 206thsense

206thsense Seattle, WA, USA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Seems like a dystopian premise + home invasion-style horror movie.

If this ish went down in real life, imagine - what would stop rich people from hiring their own private mercenary armies and using said armies to murder / loot / burn any and all perceived threats, including competing companies or consumer critics? Or religious groups waging their own private purges against Jews / Muslims / Atheists / Catholics / Mormons? I doubt total anarchy could be controlled in just a 12 hour time span, but it does make sense that only the rich would be able to afford live in a home fortress while the rest of regular folks are subjected to unrestricted violence via random criminal and/or vendetta from someone you offended sometime during the year.

The idea of lawless mob violence / slaughter of undesirables isn't new in human history, BTW.

Jewish pogroms and the Spanish Inquisition in Medieval Times. Various Native American tribes, either through direct action or omission of action by the US government, have had land seized, homes burned, and people murdered / forcibly relocated. Seattle had anti-Chinese riots in 1886, the Nazis had Kristallnacht, Mao's "Cultural Revolution", and during the LA riots after the Rodney King trials, Korean businesses were purposely targeted.

The only thing that helped many Koreans protect their livelihoods and lives? Yep... OWNING GUNS.

Korean store owners defend their business during the 1992 LA riots. - YouTube

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I just watched this movie
    WOW what an idea! Scary that someone thought of this kind of thing

7. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Well I hope it doesn't take you another 3 years to watch #2 and #3....:p

Dyjital likes this.
  8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah it just showed up and I rented it. Kinda forgot about it.
    The thing that scares me is it looks like something the gubment might like. Just wash their hands of the killing that needs done

9. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Full disclosure, I don't watch much movies and I've not seen any of the Purge movies. That said,
    I totally get what your saying. Crazy chit for sure!