JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its been about a week an half since the horrible events of the Colorado shooting and I just wanted to see what--if any--were the experiences of members trip to the theater.

Summertime is major movie time for my girlfriend and I and we've already seen seven movies since the "summer movie season started" with the Avengers which we saw at midnight. (Yes we go to a lot of movies)

But since the shooting I've was surprised to see the contrast in our two most recent movie outings.

First was for the Dark Knight just a couple of days after the shooting, we went over the theater and noticed that there wasn't a huge line, I asked how packed the theater was for the showing and the attendant said, "not very." Well we clearly had two different definitions of, "not very" but we managed to easily find a seat despite this.

However I noticed that there was one uniformed officer and at least two other undercover officers or armed private security (perhaps off-duty?) that were doing their very best (read: not well) to blend in as regular employees. There i was with a 9mm in my pocket, thinking I was going to get noticed, stopped and/or searched (pocket carry prints) but nothing as we walked right by the ticket taker and uniformed officer.

I kept thinking to myself, "they are only searching for one type of threat" they are only prepared for some lunatic to come in guns blazing (if that) and these extra security measures seem to ease the populace rather than actually prevent another (unlikely) attack.

Second was tonight as we went to go watch Ted, different theater. No signs of any security armed or otherwise. And the ticket attendant asks to look into my girlfriends purse for a gun and gives it a quick once over. While I stand there with a .22 mag in my pocket. Thinking, "really? You think the next mass shooter is going to a) be female and b) carry an arsenal in her purse?

How is that adding to security whatsoever? Seems to me that its all just for show until some new event takes the country's mind off of this tragedy.

Thoughts? Any recent experiences with phony security measures?

heck - TSA has been "putting the public's mind at ease" (read sheeple's minds) by groping people and taking finger nail clippers, water, and nail files away from little old ladies for years now... seems to work for them.

I saw Batman on the Sunday after the shooting, so 2 or 3 days after, at Clackamas Town Center, at 9PM. The rest of the mall was closed but there was one unarmed security officer hanging around the movie theater, aside from that it seemed completely normal, nothing out of the ordinary. When I left around 12AM no security was to be seen. I came back to see Batman again on Saturday I believe (yes it was that good), around 4:30PM, saw a few more unarmed security officers making their rounds, the mall was still bustling at this time but again nothing different. When I was leaving I saw one armed private security officer hanging inside the theater near the concession stands.

It's all knee jerk.

Holmes came in unarmed, bought this ticket, went and got his seat, and then went out through the exit door and came back in the same way.

So security guards at the ticket booth, and checking purses wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Why don't they have alarms on the exit doors. Even just to protect your own sales. You know how many people could sneak in soda and snack brought from home?!!

but nope... lets check purses in the lobby.

Thoughts? Any recent experiences with phony security measures?

Not a recent one, but flying to and from the US in November 2001, 2 months after 9/11. Planes were fairly empty and lots of security only to ease the public. Flying out of EWR to AMS, they had pseudo-random checkpoints at the gate and there was an orthodox Jewish guy in traditional clothing praying before the flight. As I had my share of "random" checks on the way over (a student stands out like a sore thumb in a time of underoccupied planes with only business travelers :)), I got in line boarding right behind this guy. He "randomly" got picked, I could board without hassle.

Since the shooting my wife and I have seen: Batman (twice as well), both at an 8 am IMAX show at Bridgeport village, the Sunday after the shooting in Colorado- no security whatsoever, and at Cinnebarre in Salem last Sunday (11:30 show)- again no security whatsoever. Both shows I had my standard summer carry Sig P238 HD IWB. Can't fault anyone for not noticing that pistol- it's pretty much invisible on me, even with a tucked in shirt. Saw the new Spider Man, in Independence last Sat night- also no security at all- Maybe the PDX metro area has higher security because of the greater population density. I'd never set foot inside Lloyd Center or Clackamas Town Center without a CCW anyway- especially Lloyd...

I would assume they were searching the purse not for a weapon, but rather for outside food - you know, something that affects their bottom line.

I went to a sporting event once carrying concealed, forgetting that the location had a no-weapons-even-with-CHL policy. The confiscated my still-sealed bottle of water, yet left my weapon alone. Either it was the least-observant searcher ever, (he had me lift my jacket, which revealed the end of the grip, magazine-finger-extension plainly visible,) or they just didn't care. (I was prepared to go put it back in the car, but nope, didn't have to.)

I would assume they were searching the purse not for a weapon, but rather for outside food - you know, something that affects their bottom line.

I went to a sporting event once carrying concealed, forgetting that the location had a no-weapons-even-with-CHL policy. The confiscated my still-sealed bottle of water, yet left my weapon alone. Either it was the least-observant searcher ever, (he had me lift my jacket, which revealed the end of the grip, magazine-finger-extension plainly visible,) or they just didn't care. (I was prepared to go put it back in the car, but nope, didn't have to.)

No the lady in front of us had her purse searched as well and the ticket attendant specially mentioned "gun" and "because of Colorado". Also before my we've "smuggled" in food many-a-times and not one search prior to Monday.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top