JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anyone ever done it with firearms? Will I have to register to have mine to compete, etc.?

Thanks.

Oh, why why why? Move to NY? We went the other way, don't even like going back there to visit the wife's relatives. It is a beautiful state, but the state and local taxes are carzy and the gun laws are horrible.

Ok, this is the true scoop if you are actually going to live there, not just go to a specific nra sanctioned compitition. To POSSESS a HANDGUN (called a firearm in NY Penal code 265 and 400) YOU must be licensed. Now this is handgins only, but this is in your home, car, RV, anywhere in the state,,, as well as to carry. If you are looking at NYC it is even worse. You might want to google NY Code 265.00 and NY Code 400.00 265 is the code that prohibits all firearm ownership, 400 is the code that has the licenses and exceptions.

NYS license to possess a handgun are cheap (I think they still are $10). License to carry is totally at the discression of the local Judge and you may be restricted to your home and licensed range, or general carry, or no carry. NYC you are talking like $350 every three years, To POSSESS, each weapon...not to carry You are in for a real culture shock. If you are actually going to move there you might want to look at the NY Firearms forum. NY Firearms

Process...find someone to hold your weapons for you while you go through the process of getting you license to POSSESS...it will probably take 6 months. If you know anyone in PA, that is a lot closer that WA. If you do bring handguns into NY, and you do not have a license to possess you will need to either find an FFL to hold them, or turn them into the police. Yes, it is that bad. Long guns are not so bad, but hand guns and carry are crazy. Especially in NYC.

I am assuming you are not in the military? If you are military there are exceptions, but you still need a license to possess.
Oh, edited to add: NY has an "assault" weapons ban, and mag size limits on anything newer than 1994.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top