JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've just mounted a beautiful new Bushnell Trophy 2-6X handgun scope on my Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5 inch revolver using Ruger scope rings.

I was expecting the two halves of each scope ring to fit snuggly once I snugged them down around the scope tube. But they don't. There is a gap between the two halves of the rings with the screws seeming to be tight. The scope is a 1 inch tube, and the rings are for a 1 inch tube.

Are those gaps between the two halves of each scope ring supposed to be there when the scope is mounted? Should I be tightening the screws more? If a gap is normal, how do I know how hard to tighten the screws? I am reluctant to tighten them more for fear of damaging the scope tube.

I bought a torque screw driver to mount my scope, and I also have a small gap.

Edit to add that if you crush the scope by over tightening the rings Bushnell would probably replace it for free, but then you will still have to worry about crushing the new scope. So maybe take it to a gun shop and have them do it for $50 or so.

I bought a torque screw driver to mount my scope, and I also have a small gap.

Edit to add that if you crush the scope by over tightening the rings Bushnell would probably replace it for free, but then you will still have to worry about crushing the new scope. So maybe take it to a gun shop and have them do it for $50 or so.
Were you using Ruger rings?

I've got a neighbor who has every sort of tool. Assuming I can borrow a torque screwdriver, how hard do I tighten the screws?

And is there somewhere that tells me that sort of thing about mounting a scope using Ruger rings? The rings didnt come with any directions. The scope did, but said nothing about that issue.

The gap is normal. Every brand of scope ring I've ever had including Ruger has a slight gap in between the halves. This is to accommodate scope tubes that may be out of spec by a few thousands here and there. They never clamp down without a small gap.

Thanks Stomper, Kruel J, and gunnails. I just ordered a Wheeler torque "wrench" from Amazon. Figure I need one of my own.

Carol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads