JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a Trailer Iv got that I'm trying to customize to my "needs" I put a truck Box on it ( see pic) and Iv also came up with the idea to put a Air Compressor inside of an enclosed box on the tongue of the trailer... that way if im at the dunes or mountains or whatever I always have that with me...(even in a SHTF situation) cause I know there are times i wish i did have one...

So my Question is what is a good one that i could get that would do the job? I got one from my brother Inlaw for free but i think its to big to put on there... i was thinking of maybe getting this one from sears Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more or they have a 4 gallon for 120...

1133789296_photobucket_78006_.jpg
1133789296_photobucket_78005_.jpg

So I have a Trailer Iv got that I'm trying to customize to my "needs" I put a truck Box on it ( see pic) and Iv also came up with the idea to put a Air Compressor inside of an enclosed box on the tongue of the trailer... that way if im at the dunes or mountains or whatever I always have that with me...(even in a SHTF situation) cause I know there are times i wish i did have one...

So my Question is what is a good one that i could get that would do the job? I got one from my brother Inlaw for free but i think its to big to put on there... i was thinking of maybe getting this one from sears Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more or they have a 4 gallon for 120...

1133789296_photobucket_78006_.jpg
1133789296_photobucket_78005_.jpg

Well you might need a bigger trailer for that compressor

I have a small compressor that works great.Just needs a bigger tank.So if you can figure a way to incorporate a tank in your trailer you will have it made.
Maybe weld a 6" pipe across the front? I was looking at an old propane tank,but it was 100 gallon or so.Wouldn't take much,just has to hold ,what 120#? Caps welded on the ends CORRECTLY should hold way more than that easily.
Then ,while you're packing,let the compressor fill the tank,or use that big one.Then when you're out and about,you have enough to do at least one tire right away.The little compressor can top the tank off.

Some guys just use dive tanks for storage

So how are you planning to power your compressor? Generator, Inverter, AC outlet at a campsite?

As a diver I would not recommend scuba cylinders, they are much too heavy for their volumetric capacity with respect to welded low pressure tanks (Propane or CO2 tanks).

Before engineering a solution you need to know how much volume at what pressure is to be delivered, time between demands, how it can be powered, how is the tank drained/dried, etc.

You have to think out your system, or just bolt down whatever your get for free and hope it don't go up in smoke.

Its going to be ran Off a 1000w inverter.. at least i hope thats enough??

First things first, that is one fine trailer you got there.

Second, the pancake compressor you flagged claims a 10 amp draw, that means 1200W minimum and 1500W to keep from an early death to your inverter. You need to keep a close eye on the rated current requirement, and give yourself a good 20% cushion. There are extreme light weight, light duty compressor that can fill the bill on DC supply. There is also the home-made solutions.

So, we are back to the question: What are you ultimate requirements?

Its mainly going to be used for the ATV's air up tires, as well on cars, and MAYBE be used with an impact gun to remove tires if needed...

PS I traded a used Glock 23 with 1 mag for the trailer.. :)

I would build a tank to attach to the trailer, like the pipe with properly welded ends previously mentioned. Install a Shraeder valve on it so you can fill it with air before you leave home. I would add 2 bungs (or one with a T) and install 2 quick disconnects used in air lines. One would be for the 12 volt compressor to hook up to and the other for the line you want to run air out of.
I have a heavy duty 12 volt compressor from Q Industries that I pretty pleased with. Much better and faster than the best I'd found before. This is a link that may show what I'm talking about.
Northern Tool and Equipment MV 50 Air Compressor/Tire Inflator

The 12 volt compressor would be ok, but it would be slow to fill the tank.
I used to take a pancake compressor and a generator to the dunes with me. It worked, but was kind of a pain.....
You could put a 1850-2000w generator and a pancake compressor in that box, but then there wouldn't be much room left for anything else!

I would just get one of these and be done.. <broken link removed>

I've got one mounted permanently on my pickup, ran to a small 3 gallon tank to run an air horn and air up tires. I've had it for 4 years and it's been dead solid reliable. For airing up tires, I'd just throw it and the bag inside your toolbox and be done.

Great compressor, runs off 12v, you don't have to mess with the inverter and is dead solid reliable and pretty fast.

Well since Im not going to be using it ALOT I may just go with the pancake model an toss it in my trailer box...

But Also I had an other idea for power... Back in the day... (about 6 years ago lol) I used to run pretty powerful Subwoofers and Amps in my car.... I Installed an additional battery in my car for it to maintain proper power... could i put an additional Battery in my trailer box and connect that to my Jeep Battery and then run the compressor off that?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top