JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been thinking about a lightweight hunting rifle no set caliber but I favor 308 win.
Handled a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 it was light and seems to have good reviews
What do you have and what are your recommendations?

6.5 x55 1896 Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori Mauser. Timney trigger. 4x Tasco scope. Inexpensive Champion stock. Weighs a just at 6 pounds. (If I pulled the extra rounds and minimal survival kit from the stock pouch, it would weigh even less). Not to bad for a 100+ year old rifle. Might not be what some would call a "Mountain Rifle", but it works well for me.
20181014_153653.jpg 20181014_153721.jpg

Last Edited:
Before I sold it. Never harvested any deer with it. I'm hoping the next owner did. Though I never followed up with her on her hunt.

Single shot 223.

222BD6ED-F96C-4A9E-9059-846C30B2049B.jpeg

DSC06725.jpg
If we are only considering "new" rifles ...Here is mine...
JC Higgins Model 50 , caliber .30-06 with a Leupold 3x9 scope...in a aftermarket stock.
( originals came with a walnut stock..mine came to me with the pictured stock )
Weighs in around 7 pounds.
Andy

So, what are the outfitted weights of your rifles?
What do you think is optimal as far as weight, and balance?
Factoring in packability, accuracy, and recoil?

what are the outfitted weights of your rifles?

My Fieldcraft is 5.2 lbs. on its own and 7.1 lbs. with scope, rings, lens covers, sling, and three cartridges in the magazine. It could be lighter, but I opted for a 20 oz. scope. A second similar rifle (Forbes model 20B) is 6.9 lbs. all in.

This guy weighs 6 pounds with a 16" barrel and synthetic stock.

upload_2019-5-5_13-10-35.jpeg

Mine had a slightly longer barrel and laminate stock with optic. Still was a very nice lightweight 308. 2392DB4E-C48F-4C85-AE1F-C36ECED9A04A.jpeg

So, what are the outfitted weights of your rifles?
What do you think is optimal as far as weight, and balance?
Factoring in packability, accuracy, and recoil?

My mountain rifle all up weighs 7 pounds. The only thing that sucks is it had to be restocked to balance forward of the trigger guard. From the factory, really azz heavy. Its just a skinny barrel on a full grown action. The Tikka is marginally heavier but balances well out of the box. Its a bit heavier, but doesnt feel that way. Its also easier to shoot from field positions because it balances more toward the front screw.

I carry a Kimber Montana in .308 with a Leupold Ultralight 3x9x33 in tally lightweight rings. I don't use a sling and it carries like a Ruger 10/22. The picture is of the rifle unloaded... 5lbs 8oz
74149-bab8befcbd7640b18493446ca76154fe-2.jpg
On the other end of the price spectrum is a Savage Axis I just bought in 6.5 CM, it has a 4x12 Nikon in Weaver Quad locks. This set up only weighs 7lb 5oz. So in cost per ounce, this is the clear winner. It shoots great as well.
IMG_5807.jpg

Last Edited:
I have an aversion to plastic bolt rifles.

So, I chose a 1A in 7x57. Nice wood. Shoots 140gr Partitions into 3/4 moa.

When I burn the barrel out, it will get a new tube without the open sights or barrel band. Maybe 25" or so.

Might have a new forend made up when new barrel is done. Factory one is ok, but checkering is sloppy, and fit between stock and barrel is mediocre.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top