JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I'm walking in the woods, I simply dress like this and have had zero cougar problems.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.09.11 PM.png

your choice would definitely get the job done but I believe hes looking for something he can carry while hiking. A 45/70 is not something i would care to lug around on a hike
Not necessarily.. I've been packing iron in the big bad woods for a ways and have hunted with regular handguns a bit from the getgo, finding it efficient and sporting.
I started the thread to just start a discussion on the subject and for people to share their thoughts.

Not necessarily.. I've been packing iron in the big bad woods for a ways and have hunted with regular handguns a bit from the getgo, finding it efficient and sporting.
I started the thread to just start a discussion on the subject and for people to share their thoughts.
oh thought you were looking for a carry gun for cougar protection while you were hiking. Since your accustom to heavy iron get a 416 rigby and be done with it

I've watched videos of a lion hitting a full grown cow elk, she didn't know what hit her.
I personally carry my EDC 9mm every day all day and if I have the time to put one in the big kitty's boiler room it should do the job. Otherwise I'm toast anyway!
Gabby

oh thought you were looking for a carry gun for cougar protection while you were hiking. Since your accustom to heavy iron get a 416 rigby and be done with it
Yea, the query is intentionally click baity, musing about what people would recommend for the activity could easily be construed as asking for personal advice.
It's worked perfectly since I get a kick out of people recommending they or me carry 416 Rigbys, shotguns, AR's and whatnot.
Watch yer topknot!

In a rifle, a light weight Winchester 73 in 357 or a 94 in 30-30 (both about 5 lbs)

In a revolver, a medium size 357 (like a SP101) in a 3 or 4 inch barrel

In a pistol, A 9mm or better in a compact size (like a G19)

In all cases, use appropriate ammo.
Heavy for caliber, jacketed soft point, If you go with hollow point ammo, make sure it is a brand/type that has a record of good penetration, and cycles well in your gun.

It's simple.

Carry what you are comfortable with and shoot well regularly. No need to seek out a specific Mountain lion 'defensive' pistol.

Stay alert when you are in the woods to everything - there are far more 'threats' in the woods than mountain lions - and not all are living and breathing.

Respect and enjoy the 'grandeur' and beauty of the woods. No need to be 'paranoid' and think everything out there is determined to leave your half-eaten corpse out there.

I second RVTECH's statement. I have worked in the woods for over 20 years with a few mt. lion encounters. My thoughts are to carry what you are most capable of accessing and shooting.
I also work with a dog for this purpose. My dog has alerted me to more than one cougar.

your choice would definitely get the job done but I believe hes looking for something he can carry while hiking. A 45/70 is not something i would care to lug around on a hike
But with the 45/70 he would be ready for LIONS TIGERS AND BEARS oh my.
And dinosaurs .
OH MY.
Lol

In a rifle, a light weight Winchester 73 in 357 or a 94 in 30-30 (both about 5 lbs)

In a revolver, a medium size 357 (like a SP101) in a 3 or 4 inch barrel

In a pistol, A 9mm or better in a compact size (like a G19)

In all cases, use appropriate ammo.
Heavy for caliber, jacketed soft point, If you go with hollow point ammo, make sure it is a brand/type that has a record of good penetration, and cycles well in your gun.
Great recommendations. One thing I take issue with though is using heavily constructed bullets in instances where their benefit is marginal at best. The classic 158gr and 240gr jhp/jsp bullets out of .357 and .44 magnum handguns won't expand on deer-sized animals unless large bones are hit, just pencilling on through.

Your best protection is to look up as well as toward your back trail regularly. Don't walk under overhanging branches, especially at night. You are probably more likely to be killed or injured by a falling dead tree or branch--a "widow-maker"--than a cougar. If a cougar pounces down on you from a tree branch overhanging the trail because you didn't look up, it is likely to land on your back, knocking you to the ground, and grab you by the back of the neck or head. This isn't going to be fun, whatever you're carrying.

I think a big protective dog is actually better protection against cougars or bears than a gun.

As for what to carry, cougars don't have heavy skulls like bears. Anything you carry for protection against bad humans will do. However, anywhere wild enough to have cougars may also have bears. And getting through a bear skull may require more power and a more penetrating load than is needed for SD against cougars or bad humans. During my most active hiking and camping days, my woods combo was a big protective dog and a concealed .357 mag or .44 mag with bear loads.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads