JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your going to get attacked its most likely going to be a momma protecting her kittens. Remember, they prefer venison, not humans and toms will 99.9% of the time flight if encountered by human. They aren't brown bears for crying out loud. Curiosity is the main reason why they get killed.
This is true, but a friend of my dad's was once stalked by a cougar. He never knew it was behind him until it let out a roar.
It was sitting on top of a small knoll that dad's friend had sat down on the other side of.
It was deer hunting season, so any kittens would've been born at least 6 months prior. Chances are good they were grown and off on their own by then.
Fortunately, dad's friend kept his head and the cougar eventually wandered off.
Just goes to show, though, that the old saying about curiosity and cats may be something to keep in mind, if you choose to go hiking in cougar country.

Dean

This is true, but a friend of my dad's was once stalked by a cougar. He never knew it was behind him until it let out a roar.
It was sitting on top of a small knoll that dad's friend had sat down on the other side of.
It was deer hunting season, so any kittens would've been born at least 6 months prior. Chances are good they were grown and off on their own by then.
Fortunately, dad's friend kept his head and the cougar eventually wandered off.
Just goes to show, though, that the old saying about curiosity and cats may be something to keep in mind, if you choose to go hiking in cougar country.

Dean
If it roars at you first, it's not trying to eat you. :)

More academic animal killing, like the rattle snake killers. What caliber gun should I pack with me if I come across a white shark in the cascades...?
s-l1000.jpg

More academic animal killing, like the rattle snake killers. What caliber gun should I pack with me if I come across a white shark in the cascades...?
Forget exactly where it was but Elmer Keith liked a .44 magnum (with Keith loads) for white sharks as it had way more penetration through water than the hunting rifles they had along.

Oh, and maybe you accidentally overlooked the "defensive" part in the title of the thread.

Happy 5th birthday, Thread!

Point: There are not 102 fatal cougar attacks daily in the US. But, there are 102 fatal traffic accidents. So, drive carefully or you may die on the highway before a cougar can get you.

Last Edited:
At 52 I am too old for the typical 2 legged cougars. They prefer tender young meat.

I used to get paid to walk in the woods. Mostly at night. 4am can be like rush hour when the elk are on the move, deer are getting going and the bears headed back from a long night of knocking over campground trash cans.
Deer, elk, bear are all easy to hear. Cougars mostly nothing but maybe a single bit of leaf crush. Also you will hear the morning chorus dim down sometimes when they show up right at dawn.
I worked alone in the woods for years and honestly the most scared i got was when I came across a meth cook in a trailer at the end of a logging road.

What did you do for work and how do I get that job?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top