JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
Will this pistol be for the lions that you see approaching on the ground or the ones that pounce on you from up in the tree and tear your head off before you can say Oh sheet?

Second the knife...

I'd just take any old 9mm pistol. However I'd wonder about protecting the back of my neck somehow...

Not that I actually do that in the woods, but still it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea.
7d3a66a048bc9bff65acc6cebfa74b3e.jpg

Although attacks are rare cougars often pounce from behind the best protection when jumped on unexpectedly is trojan brand condoms since they are the strongest and the cougar has likely been around the block a few times... "Ive heard" that in many cases if you play dead they have their way with you for a bit but then get bored easily and move on as they like the resistance... in that case a pack of cigs might be a good idea to go with the condoms.

View attachment 281269
That's no cougar, it's a dragon.
Note the scales.

I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
A female is 120. Get a mature Tom and you can push 200. There are no these parts. Lions do not have a home range. They are not " hard to kill" just most people crap themselves.

We have had on and off Cougar issues in my neighborhood so I often carry a 1911 when I am working alone out back. When I have gone looking for kitty I carry a (don't laugh) 10/22 with a 30 round mag because it's set up for night hunting (we had a fox problem years ago) and looking for kitty means I was looking for a missing goat in the dark.
As for hiking in cougar county my advice is don't wear earbuds(sounds basic but you would be surprised how many train runners I have come across in remote places jamming to the tunes), stop periodically and look around. Look up. Cats hang in trees. They have a very unique scent learn to recognize it. Most often cat has seen you for awhile before you see it, and is letting you see it because he has decided not to hunt you so your best defense is to pick up on tracks or sign before you see it.
That being said despite having seen a half dozen cougars in my life and maybe twice as many signs I have only been stalked twice seriously (that I am aware of- see above) and one was sent running by a flashlight set on strobe and I hit the other with a rock and it took off because I didn't have a gun. A third time I saw a Cougar above me in a tree pretty close above me and while it was scary as heck he was eating something and seems more annoyed than interested. I just backed away and went elsewhere.
Living where I do I have noticed that Cougar sightings are weather dependent. We had a mild winter so no Cougars this year. A heavy snow brings them down. My guess this winter means more young survivors so a cold winter next year means more problems then. Seems like the typical problem animal is small (50 is pounds) and skinny. One that was bigger and ODFW guy shot him in my yard so you never know. Once they get a taste for goats/ sheep (or "dumb slow deer" as the cougars calm them) they will be back so you gotta get rid of them. ODFW told me that any cougars stalking livestock is fair game and just call them afterwards but that was some time ago and YMMV.

We have had on and off Cougar issues in my neighborhood so I often carry a 1911 when I am working alone out back. When I have gone looking for kitty I carry a (don't laugh) 10/22 with a 30 round mag because it's set up for night hunting (we had a fox problem years ago) and looking for kitty means I was looking for a missing goat in the dark.
As for hiking in cougar county my advice is don't wear earbuds(sounds basic but you would be surprised how many train runners I have come across in remote places jamming to the tunes), stop periodically and look around. Look up. Cats hang in trees. They have a very unique scent learn to recognize it. Most often cat has seen you for awhile before you see it, and is letting you see it because he has decided not to hunt you so your best defense is to pick up on tracks or sign before you see it.
That being said despite having seen a half dozen cougars in my life and maybe twice as many signs I have only been stalked twice seriously (that I am aware of- see above) and one was sent running by a flashlight set on strobe and I hit the other with a rock and it took off because I didn't have a gun. A third time I saw a Cougar above me in a tree pretty close above me and while it was scary as heck he was eating something and seems more annoyed than interested. I just backed away and went elsewhere.
Living where I do I have noticed that Cougar sightings are weather dependent. We had a mild winter so no Cougars this year. A heavy snow brings them down. My guess this winter means more young survivors so a cold winter next year means more problems then. Seems like the typical problem animal is small (50 is pounds) and skinny. One that was bigger and ODFW guy shot him in my yard so you never know. Once they get a taste for goats/ sheep (or "dumb slow deer" as the cougars calm them) they will be back so you gotta get rid of them. ODFW told me that any cougars stalking livestock is fair game and just call them afterwards but that was some time ago and YMMV.

Thats a lot of couger experience. Where do you find these bars?

Option 1:
-357 or larger pistol
-rearview mirrors on your cap. (lions prefer to attack from behind)
-large ball of twine

Method:
If you see a lion following you, throw the ball of twine (optional). Then while it's distracted playing with the ball of twine(unlikely)...shoot it! Tell the Ranger you attempted to get away by distracting the cat but you were forced to shoot it.

OR.....

Option 2:
-22lr pistol
-a hiking buddy that you don't much like (maybe a hipster or PETA member?)

Method...use the 22 pistol to shoot buddy in the legs, run like he1l.

OR.....

Option 3:
-big ol' monster caliber revolver
-hiking buddy you sorta like (should be shorter, fatter, slower than you)

Method... if you see lion sneaking up behind, turn and shoot it. If it attacks from the front, turn and run, then turn again and shoot it while it's chewing on your shorter, fatter, slower hiking buddy.

OR.....

Option 4:
-Pick up your best bud after telling your wife you're going "hiking"
-go to a breakfast buffet
-go to a good gun store and look at big revolvers
-go to a friendly bar

Method:
While you're chewing on waffles and bacon between hiking several times around the buffet, devise a story of how you chased off a mountain lion by sticking it with your knife, pick up your buddy's meal and bar tab so he'll back up your story. Tell your wife that you really don't think you can talk about now...and don't forget to add "all I could think of at the time, (sigh) was if I would make it home to you".
You're not doing anything wrong...
....After all, there really was some "hiking" and "Lyin'" involved:rolleyes:

you so had me intrigued with the ball of twine in option one. God bless you for that laugh sir:D

Thats a lot of couger experience. Where do you find these bars?
At 52 I am too old for the typical 2 legged cougars. They prefer tender young meat.

I used to get paid to walk in the woods. Mostly at night. 4am can be like rush hour when the elk are on the move, deer are getting going and the bears headed back from a long night of knocking over campground trash cans.
Deer, elk, bear are all easy to hear. Cougars mostly nothing but maybe a single bit of leaf crush. Also you will hear the morning chorus dim down sometimes when they show up right at dawn.
I worked alone in the woods for years and honestly the most scared i got was when I came across a meth cook in a trailer at the end of a logging road.

If your going to get attacked its most likely going to be a momma protecting her kittens. Remember, they prefer venison, not humans and toms will 99.9% of the time flight if encountered by human. They aren't brown bears for crying out loud. Curiosity is the main reason why they get killed.

If your going to get attacked its most likely going to be a momma protecting her kittens. Remember, they prefer venison, not humans and toms will 99.9% of the time flight if encountered by human. They aren't brown bears for crying out loud. Curiosity is the main reason why they get killed.

They prefer... but like I said depends on the season. They have gone after my goats for sure, sheep too. Neighbor had one that was trying to get into a chicken coop and it's kit died right next to the coop. A cold winter makes them hungry. The one I hit with the strobe got within 20 feet of me before I noticed and was creeping. Would it have attacked me? IDK but it was sure considering it's options. March after a long snowy winter seems the worst.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top