JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tell us about it?

What I remember is that a guy who was a year or 2 ahead of me had made some money from a side business & bought some Mtn Property on one of the forks of the WW River. He really wasn't looking for company.

This most likeley dates to sometime from 1966 to 1968.

While out walking 1 day he spotted the big footprints, told a freind who told somebody and some folks who today would have their own Reality Show came up to look....

Their conclusion at the time was that there was NO Indication of Fakery or Skuduggery...

Again, abt the last thing the land owner wanted was attention.....

I can check w/ a buddy who is on one of the Sasquatch forums to see what he recalls...

The Wallowa Mts was me hunting Grouse between WallowaLk & Ice Lake,

A really loud Screeching type of a noise,
The Sound of something moving fast thru underbrush / trres, that DID NOT sound like a 4 legger...

More like a 2 legger....

Then shortly after rumors were going around abt similar experiences in the area......

We could start in abt objects in the sky demonstrating
"NON BALLISTIC FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS..."

:):):):eek::eek::D:D

What I remember is that a guy who was a year or 2 ahead of me had made some money from a side business & bought some Mtn Property on one of the forks of the WW River. He really wasn't looking for company.

This most likeley dates to sometime from 1966 to 1968.

While out walking 1 day he spotted the big footprints, told a freind who told somebody and some folks who today would have their own Reality Show came up to look....

Their conclusion at the time was that there was NO Indication of Fakery or Skuduggery...

Again, abt the last thing the land owner wanted was attention.....

I can check w/ a buddy who is on one of the Sasquatch forums to see what he recalls...

The Wallowa Mts was me hunting Grouse between WallowaLk & Ice Lake,

A really loud Screeching type of a noise,
The Sound of something moving fast thru underbrush / trres, that DID NOT sound like a 4 legger...

More like a 2 legger....

Then shortly after rumors were going around abt similar experiences in the area......

We could start in abt objects in the sky demonstrating
"NON BALLISTIC FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS..."

:):):):eek::eek::D:D
I have a strong suspicion that fellow close to the mouth of blue creek was running around making footprints. Why else would he have so many different castings in his garage (along with all the other stuff, I mean who has a 9 foot Sasquatch in their garage made of what looked to be real hair)? Again I won't speculate on motivation cuz I didn't ask and I don't know.

I have a strong suspicion that fellow close to the mouth of blue creek was running around making footprints. Why else would he have so many different castings in his garage (along with all the other stuff, I mean who has a 9 foot Sasquatch in their garage made of what looked to be real hair)? Again I won't speculate on motivation cuz I didn't ask and I don't know.
It does make one wonder...

Moar later..:cool:

It does make one wonder...

Moar later..:cool:
Yea that's why I'm so careful about guessing at motivation. There were funded Sasquatch studies up blue creek, the guy has tons of fake deer, birds etc in his yard next to mill creek road so maybe he's just into plastic and stuffed animals, some people just have hobbies. Could be lots of explanations. Heck if a
person asked him he might show u all the stuff (if it's still the same owner). I was not in that position to ask at the time, it was more work-related visit unrelated to that.

Last Edited:
Yea that's why I'm so careful about guessing at motivation. There were funded Sasquatch studies up blue creek, the guy has tons of fake deer, birds etc in his yard next to mill creek road, some people just have hobbies. Could be lots of explanations. Heck if a
person asked him he might show u all the stuff (if it's still the same owner). I was not in that position to ask at the time, it was more work-related visit unrelated to that.

A subject worthy of further discussion..

Here is what I would suggest. Something you can shoot well and something you will always have with you, and, as a bonus no matter how much ammo your gun holds, carry an extra mag. Something that is easily concealable, unless you are going cowboy with a OWB holster. What do I carry? A Kel Tec PF9 with a CT trigger guard type laser.

I shoot this little gun well so I feel ready enough, but hope that a cougar attack never happens. Think I would rather take on a person in a fight, even if it is a gun fight then be attacked by a full grown adult cougar. The thought scares the crappers outa me because odds are you are not going to see it coming.

I love the laser and after dusk, I feel even better about it. I live on the edge of town and frequently walk my dogs in the evening and at night and some times at 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 am etc. Never walk out of the house without that gun. Cougars have been spotted in my general area/town so....

Consider this.... in a cougar attack you are probably not going to have the luxury of a clean well aimed shot where you have your gun drawn, standing feet well planted with squared shoulders etc. You know your normal range stance etc. You may be seriously fighting the beast hand to claw and have to get that gun and and some how get it in position to shoot a cat that is mauling the he-ll outa you.

While this is not the reason I put that laser on, I do think if I am fighting an attacking cougar and must shoot from some weird position hoping I hit the cat, that laser could be invaluable in making one or more of my 7 rounds count. If I had to, as they say, shoot from the hip or some other strange position I can be a little more certain of hitting it.

Ammo should be buffalo bore or equivalent, that stuff kills griz bears in 9mm. If it can do that it can kill a cougar. your gun should be rated for plus p ammo. Mine is not really but handles it OK.

When i am outside, I do feel much better when carrying the gun, maybe it is a false sense of safety? But certainly better then being unarmed.

I have a house cat that wrights 10 lbs and that little son of a gun kills everything he finds and his claws are serious wicked. The thought of a 150 lb cat with correspondingly HUGE claws it would have, on my back, with those claws buried in me some how.... no thanks, god I hope that never happens.

I don't think most people really think much about how serious a predator a adult cougar really is. There is the sports show that comes around every year and there is a guy who brings big cats. He has a giant cougar, thing must weight 300 lbs plus. I have walked up to the edge of the cage and looked straight at it and had it look straight back at me.... all I can say is not doing that again... it was like looking into the face of death. had to get home and have a whisky. :cool:

I cougars in the wild where that big I'd be getting me a 1911 in 10mm for sure. :D

My woods carry right now is a Glock 27 (in 40, of course) with DoubleTap 200gr hardcast flatpoint lead. Plus it holds 11+1, which would also help against 2-legged predators, which is still a greater chance of encountering than mountain lions.

Something that has not really been mentioned besides capacity is ease of access. In the few times I have been stalked or followed, only one time was I really confronted and I'm here to tell you those cats are FAST!

Most of the cat activity I have been involved with has been hunting in the Blewett Pass area but we had a big cat around our house west of Ellensberg. My scariest two encounters though were just outside of Leavenworth WA., one was being stalked while the family was on a short hike from our house ( The last time I have left the house not armed) and the other was walking out my back door just in time to see my dos disturb a big cat sleeping on my car. All I had time to do was "think" about grabbing my pistol before it thankfully cleared the yard, two, maybe three strides. That SOB was fast and did it leave some nice claw marks on the cars trunk. Better it than me! The dog only made 5' before the cat was gone!
The adventures of living in the country!

Consider this.... in a cougar attack you are probably not going to have the luxury of a clean well aimed shot where you have your gun drawn, standing feet well planted with squared shoulders etc. You know your normal range stance etc. You may be seriously fighting the beast hand to claw and have to get that gun and and some how get it in position to shoot a cat that is mauling the he-ll outa you.

While this is not the reason I put that laser on, I do think if I am fighting an attacking cougar and must shoot from some weird position hoping I hit the cat, that laser could be invaluable in making one or more of my 7 rounds count. If I had to, as they say, shoot from the hip or some other strange position I can be a little more certain of hitting it.
Exactly. Those who survive bear attacks more often than one would like had to shoot the bear while scrabbling on the ground getting chewed on. Maybe their dominant arm getting chewed on. This is part of the reason guys like Garrett felt that being able to control the gun with either hand, including rapid follow-up shots, was critical, and that power beyond a certain level was actually counterproductive because of this. Hence the Garrett .44 mag bear defense load, which is about 800 - 900 ft lbs, a relatively mild .44 mag load. The HSM Bear loads seem to follow the same philosophy. For example, about 1000 ft lbs. In .44mag. Both loads with wide flat points and super hardcast for max penetration. But easy to control from a six inch revolver with either hand and from weird positions.

These considerations are one reason I strongly prefer a revolver--especially a muzzle heavy revolver for self defense. With such a gun, my hand knows where the muzzle is pointing, even when shooting from weird positions where the gun is not in my line of sight at all. I can fire such a revolver from the hip, for example. Have never been able to hip shoot very accurately with a pistol. Even my SW 686 snubby .357 has a very muzzle heavy feel because of the full underlug. In addition, it sports a Crimson Trace laser.

Note that there are firing-pin activated laser cartridges that are great for dry fire practice, including from weird positions. Especially fun for revolvers. I have six G-sights in .44 and six in .357. I have my Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5-inch loaded with them and handy so I can pick it up and practice a few dry-fire shots many times a day. I figure the first shot is most critical. And in a shooting session you get just one first shot. However I can get equivalent of dozens of first shots with my SRHK with laser cartridges. Also useful because I need that sort of regular practice to strenghthen hand/arm muscles enough to handle such a heavy gun. Especially fun to do various kinds of point shooting practice using the laser cartridges.

As the originator of this thead, I felt it my duty to link thisy here so bumpsidaisy..

Seen that yesterday, my woods gun has never changed. Glock 20 with underwood 1500 fps rounds. Plenty of power, plenty of extra rounds. Magnum revolvers are a good choice for some but in a high stress situation where you are faced with a predator that gets the jump on you the long heavy pull of a revolver doesn't do it for me. If you have plenty of time to be accurate it becomes a non factor. I always keep the worst situation in my mind and prepare that way for myself. You guys opinion may differ tho. And that video is why when in the woods you carry adequate protection.

As the originator of this thead, I felt it my duty to link thisy here so bumpsidaisy..

That was a young sick lion.

I saw the video on the news.
I suspect something very important to that Lion was nearby and it didn't appreciate the hiker being so close to whatever it was.
MHO.

Dean

I saw the video on the news.
I suspect something very important to that Lion was nearby and it didn't appreciate the hiker being so close to whatever it was.
MHO.

Dean
Excellent observation.
A kill or maybe some cubs...

That was a guy that was wishin' that he was carrying.
He had quite a while to think about it, too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top