JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
1577693711759.png

...yeah, that should do it ( ;):s0140: )

...ok, seriously...something with decent stopping power is about the best answer I can give.
Might be .38 special, might be .44 mag, might be .22 rimfire. As long as it can get the job done and not be too much of a nuisance when not in use, that should do the trick.
I'd be more worried about bullet performance and accuracy than how much "power" the thing makes. It might make a million ft./lbs. ME, but if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, its no good to you.
Lately, I'm into replicating "factory" velocity with a heavier bullet of a better shape.....like a 300gr. wide flat nose wadcutter in a .44 special.
You can drive tacks with that round at 50 paces, while handing out quite a bit of destruction at the same time.

Dean

Last Edited:
View attachment 645469

...yeah, that should do it ( ;):s0140: )

...ok, seriously...something with decent stopping power is about the best answer I can give.
Might be .38 special, might be .44 mag, might be .22 rimfire. As long as it can get the job done and not be too much of a nuisance when not in use, that should do the trick.
I'd be more worried about bullet performance and accuracy than how much "power" the thing makes. It might make a million ft./lbs. ME, but if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, its no good to you.
Lately, I'm into replicating "factory" velocity with a heavier bullet of a better shape.....like a 300gr. wide flat nose wadcutter in a .44 special.
You can drive tacks with that round at 50 paces, while handing out quite a bit of destruction at the same time.

Dean
Yea, when I was a kid I hotrodded a charter .44 with some Lee 320gr SWC's.. carried that thing everywhere.

I have decided my woods rig will be a G23 with hot .40 S&W Gold dots and hot hard cast alternating. It might not be a 10 mm, .357, or .44, but should be adequate for nearly everything.

I have decided my woods rig will be a G23 with hot .40 S&W Gold dots and hot hard cast alternating. It might not be a 10 mm, .357, or .44, but should be adequate for nearly everything.

Should do quit well. What grain bullets were you intending to use? I was looking at BB the other day and saw that their 155 or 165 gave the greatest foot pounds of energy. I do not think stopping cats is a big deal if they are squarely hit. I'd think the same with wolves. I came across one late last spring which was a supersized German Sheppard and I'd think, again, if squarely hit they would go down.
Unfortunately, most of my woods fears have to do with two footed creeps that I might encounter way back at the end of a dead end wilderness road.

Friend was issued a Glock 22 when he was an FSO.
We took it out and shot it.
I thought it wasn't a half bad shooter. Recoil was more mild than I expected.
Still not a Glock fan, but it wasn't a totally terrible experience.

Dean

I'm going with Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore heavy outdoorsman in a Guides Choice chest holster. Should take care of anything in the lower 48 and won't get too much attention from the man-buns along the trail or fly fishing on the Gallatin.

I'm going with Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore heavy outdoorsman in a Guides Choice chest holster. Should take care of anything in the lower 48 and won't get too much attention from the man-buns along the trail or fly fishing on the Gallatin.

Should work nicely. I would suspect that you would either get an eye or grimace from the "sissy's" that own the trail. If they come from Cali or NY you might get their mouth as well.

I like the 165 and 180's. My hardcast loads are designed for penetration, while the HP's are for energy transfer. I prefer a chest rig to a side arm while walking in the woods, especially with a pack. I find the G23 to be powerful enough and light enough as a compromise. I also have a Keltec Sub2K that uses the same ammo and magazines.

I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?

Skip the pistol and just hum this diddy whilst out hiking.....,

Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh can't you see what I mean

:s0155:

Last Edited:
Meth tweekers cooking thier garbage out in the mountains is what i,d be more concerned about. I use to carry my357 Ruger GP100. I personally k ow three people who ran into tweekers and thought that was going to be their last day on earth.
Since then I bought and started carrying a 10mm Glock 20. Fifteen rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber and two extra mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Shoulder holster and a S&W 642 in my right front pants pocket.

Meth tweekers cooking thier garbage out in the mountains is what i,d be more concerned about. I use to carry my357 Ruger GP100. I personally k ow three people who ran into tweekers and thought that was going to be their last day on earth.
Since then I bought and started carrying a 10mm Glock 20. Fifteen rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber and two extra mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Shoulder holster and a S&W 642 in my right front pants pocket.

Where did they run into tweekers?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads