JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your in the woods hiking or hunting your real concern should be the 2 legged critters.
Anything you carry for that will be plenty for a cougar.
They are not known for being real tough when they get shot.
Probably the reason they are the only big game that the wdfw allows you to use .22 cal centerfire to harvest.
My.02

If your in the woods hiking or hunting your real concern should be the 2 legged critters.
Anything you carry for that will be plenty for a cougar.
They are not known for being real tough when they get shot.
Probably the reason they are the only big game that the wdfw allows you to use .22 cal centerfire to harvest.
My.02
Shooting an attacking animal is a lot different than shooting one out of a tree.

who shoots them out of trees anymore?
Using dogs for hunting cats was banned long ago.

Most cougar attacks are people jogging or riding bikes not paying attention to their surroundings and emulating cougars prey.

mulelion01_zpst9dkgacp.jpg
index_zpshmlgcdu0.jpg
indexw_zpsyl5gnest.jpg

Just get a mule:)

who shoots them out of trees anymore?
Using dogs for hunting cats was banned long ago.

Most cougar attacks are people jogging or riding bikes not paying attention to their surroundings and emulating cougars prey.
Montana & Wyoming still allow cat hunting with hounds, but that is really beside the point. It keeps the cats out in the wild very wary of man. As I said, with the loss of agricultural land and the encroachment of people, there is very little hunting anywhere close to town for deer or antelope (or anything else for that matter). These animals have pretty much moved right into town, and there is virtually no way to control that. The cats have likewise moved into town to follow their natural prey. The first thing folks got upset about was the deer moving in and destroying gardens. Then the cats followed.
A little over a year ago, I flew back to Billings from Portland to shoot a rifle match with some friends. I rented a car, and the first night one old buddy and I went out for dinner and a couple of brews. When I dropped him off at his house at around 11PM, there were six Mule Deer in his front yard, and he walked through the little mini herd without even alarming them. That is but one example. And people wonder why cougars are in town.

Cougar attacks on men are fairly common However there is a new species of Cougar that is evolving. One that had planned to mate for life but lost it's male companion due to death or other circumstances. This new breed has adequate resources for survival and is well equipped to re-enter and survive in the the jungle. Because of it's years of experience it is considerably more dangerous than it's male counterpart, is very sly and cunning and bears considerable watching. It is very selective and will take whatever new male companion it chooses. Even the strongest male can fall victim as it displays and offers a larger more comfortable cave/home it has created, ample sustenance and comfort. Also because of it's years of coexistence with a dedicated male, and possible domination by same, it will no longer allow itself to be controlled and will, in fact, dominate the new male it has taken as a companion. This new breed displays an insatiable desire to mate and any incapacity, carelessness or neglect by the male will result in his immediate ejection by the now dominate female.

And people wonder why cougars are in town.

Wolves are next.

There was a special on Coywolves on Netflix. Apparently there is one species of wolf up around Ontario, Canada that can successfully breed a coyote. The resulting critters are not shy at all and are living in towns and parks down to NY. Interesting pest.

Wolves are next.

There was a special on Coywolves on Netflix. Apparently there is one species of wolf up around Ontario, Canada that can successfully breed a coyote. The resulting critters are not shy at all and are living in towns and parks down to NY. Interesting pest.
Ahhh, isn't diversity a wondrous thing??

Cougar attacks on men are fairly common However there is a new species of Cougar that is evolving. One that had planned to mate for life but lost it's male companion due to death or other circumstances. This new breed has adequate resources for survival and is well equipped to re-enter and survive in the the jungle. Because of it's years of experience it is considerably more dangerous than it's male counterpart, is very sly and cunning and bears considerable watching. It is very selective and will take whatever new male companion it chooses. Even the strongest male can fall victim as it displays and offers a larger more comfortable cave/home it has created, ample sustenance and comfort. Also because of it's years of coexistence with a dedicated male, and possible domination by same, it will no longer allow itself to be controlled and will, in fact, dominate the new male it has taken as a companion. This new breed displays an insatiable desire to mate and any incapacity, carelessness or neglect by the male will result in his immediate ejection by the now dominate female.

Ha-ha why do I feel like we aren't talking about feline cougars anymore?

what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
Comfortable but rugged clothing, good, well fitting footwear, carry gloves in case you are in a rocky terrain, high protein, low fat trail snacks, water or an electrolyte drink - sugar free of course and DON'T WORRY ABOUT COUGARS!

I try very hard not to tell other people what to do!!!! But I will say this, I don't go into the woods too often anymore... but when I do, I carry at least one firearm. For many reasons but primarily because by American Express don't work out there.

"I don't know if you've been keeping up on current events, but we just got our a**es kicked pal!"

"Yeah, I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit...it's the only way to be sure."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top