JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One winter when I was a teenager, my brother, a friend, and I were in the woods behind our house after a heavy snowfall. A large limb broke out of a Maple tree about 50 feet away and dropped about 30 feet to the ground with a HUGE sound. It certainly got our attention! :eek:

Had a friend killed by a "widow maker".

Last wind storm we had here on the mountain left a number of widow makers stuck in the ground, and a lot more just laying around. Took better part of a week to clean up some of that mess.

Trees do just randomly come down. My brother and I were at an Earthwalk Northwest event years ago and were sitting in our camp chairs in the darkness having a bourbon nightcap. All of a sudden this crazy sound started up like a landslide or something coming our way. We hightailed it and then there was a huge THUD. Coming back we found a tree on the hillside had fallen down into the camp area. It wasn't particularly windy or wet. I'm guessing it had some rot but who knows. An hour later and a few feet closer and we both would have had a rude awakening. Nature happens.

TreeTent2.jpg

TreeTent3.jpg

I've decided to go camping in the Olympics from Halloween morning (a Saturday) until the following Tuesday morning. Coming home then will ensure I don't miss the election results. I'm not blowing off my regular ammo on this trip unless needed. That's getting precious. The Colt Navy will have to do.
CampfireDark.jpg

bearspray.jpg

blackbear2.jpg

I pulled off at the top of the hill and took out this ancient bolt action Enfield. I couldn't tell you exactly what it was about. Had a 20-round box mag installed and I think it shot Win 308?

I had an original unmodified Enfield... it shot the standard British .303, as do most Enfields, a pretty decent round. But hard to find a box for sale.

Trees do just randomly come down. My brother and I were at an Earthwalk Northwest event years ago and were sitting in our camp chairs in the darkness having a bourbon nightcap. All of a sudden this crazy sound started up like a landslide or something coming our way. We hightailed it and then there was a huge THUD. Coming back we found a tree on the hillside had fallen down into the camp area. It wasn't particularly windy or wet. I'm guessing it had some rot but who knows. An hour later and a few feet closer and we both would have had a rude awakening. Nature happens.

View attachment 762839

View attachment 762840
Same here. Below is a picture of the woods on the south side of the house.
I've heard a few of those trees fall over the years (so far, only one has hit the house. Thank GAWD it wasn't too big).
The first time it happened, it was like 3am and I just happened to have woken up. All of a sudden, I start hearing that "creaking door" sound and the thud was so strong I felt it.
Second growth pines have had 130+ years to grow.

DSCN2167.JPG

Anyone here actually been attacked or at least been seriously confronted by a cougar? Or known someone who has been attacked? Or seen the stats about attacks on humans BY cougars?

Trouble from cougars? That's a laugh. I chased one off just by cussing it out like a sailor. This happened in the Olympics at a place I call the High Lake, but is actually known on Google Maps as Goober Pond. Cougars can be dangerous, but what's a lot more dangerous is a dead tree suddenly falling on your tent during the night if the wind kicks up. Now that's REALLY scary. MIssed me by inches and wrecked the tent. BEARS are DEFINITELY dangerous.

Cougars scare me little, if any. If I saw one I wouldn't shoot AT it. Just shooting into the air will scare it off easily.
@Ura-Ki shot one off of his brother..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top