JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe I am wrong but the question appeared to be for hiking, something that is lite, and with dog presence? My thought for minimal weight but with stout power would be a Ruger SP 101 3" or 4" in 357 and this is a 5 shot [all are 38 special compatible or 38 plus p]. Also, a Smith Model 60 in 357 with 3" barrel is even liter. Dogs encounter cats. The Smith model 60 is likely as lite as you want and works will for occasional 357 with 158 grain ammo. And, it is accurate. There are super lite 357 or 44 mag revolvers that might work as well.

Those that recommended a 10 mm would work but with increased weight. Or, something like a 40 caliber and 3" compact or 4" barrel. Some of the standard size 40's would work. And, if you had the Glock 19 with special 9 mm ammo that would work as well.

Hiking with "weight" is a problem if you are carrying a 40 ounce gun loaded. I have faced "Charles Atlas" muscle ripped cougar in the woods at less than 35 years facing me and my 10 year old son. I'd think one shot and they would run into the next county--but in a hands on scrap or with a dog, I'd want something that is controllable for that second or third shot.

If I was not carrying gear, but for water and snacks and or overnight survival kit; I have hiked with Ruger GP 100 6" on my hip with no problem-but adding backpacking weight I would want to shed the 2 extra pounds and get something less than or equal to 2 pounds. Just that critical. There is a lot to choose from less than 2 pounds and will fit your needs.

Last Edited:
I only shot one cat. A 145 pound Tom. It is a long story but what surprised me was the shot to the arm that was intended to keep it from killing the dogs. This was from 5 feet with no exit wound. It was in 1990 using 158 grain semi jacketed 357. Now I would use a Keith style hard cast lead bullet pushed hard. The aforementioned semi auto would work since you have many shots. However you may not have many chances to pick your shot. Most autos are not capable of using these types of loads. Revolvers are the top choice for an outdoorsman. I can understand using a semi since two legged beasts are more common. If I was able to hike at this time the .357 would be with me. One January night I caught up with my first treed cat. I was on a hillside and we were face to face. She stayed calm. We were chasing only. At day light we got our pictures and backed off. She dropped 35 feet and hit the ground on the run. What a sight!

I agree with using flat nose hard cast for penetrating animals other than human. The revolver is best suited for the task. If using a semi,like a 9mm (which IMO is plenty),use a jacketed FN or something that will feed other than a hollow point. Penetration is more important than expansion. If your hiking, weight is a concern. You don't need a big heavy hog leg, so why carry one. In Griz. country what you need is different. I doubt I will ever encounter a Griz, since I live and hunt Oregon. I guess a 10mm would be a great choice,but I will carry a 9 and feel safe. I know how to shoot it, and am confident in my ability to place the shot in the right place to stop an attack.I know nothing is written in stone, but that's life, and I know that no matter how hard we try, we'll never get out of this world alive.;)

You are eminently correct my pistol packing friend. I have heard of what I would call a lucky kill on a lion or the old world leopard. A person must use what is available. Generally mountain lions are not on the big side, meaning 150 plus pounds. The only one I have ever killed slashed a dog and was busy trying to hook another. He is a very nice male that weighed 145 pounds. He appeared to be deceased but when pulled in opposite directions by two hounds he came back to life. So any side arm would likely send an attacking cat on his way.

Why just carry one when you can carry all of the above if you have the right holster HEHEH want_vs_need_33_photos13_1426561339.jpg

The good thing though is all you have to do these days is be able to hear a fur covered gunnysack being dragged across the ground.. fat cat ballin'!.. and trying to eat you. lolz

Nothing less than .357 or equivalent with expanding bullets. You need both penetration and stopping power.

That is what I carry when I'm working or hiking in the woods. A rifle or shotgun is even better but can't be carried out of hunting season w/o risk of hassle from LEOs. A buddy shot one in the midst of it charging down on his 12yr old while hunting and he said it wasn't easy to stop.
Ya, a long-arm isnt always something we want to lug around but we still need to be armed... I like the idea of a 10mm Glock- Ben Told informs me that a .45acp will do the trick on large cats and small bears, but unless I have Uncle Dunne's .45acp Super-Especial Hunting soft-points it is hard to conceive of using the .45 auto on either bear or cat.. tho I havent any experience with the 10mm mag, it sounds as if it would be a useful round on anything likely to encounter in Colorado.
Someday I might luck into a Glock 20- since owning a Glock 21 I have overcome most of the loathing felt toward the Gblock pistols:s0108:.
No problem with a .357 on the bigguns and I own a couple, same with .44mag.. But most often these days carrying an auto seems to be my preference, reason being "I'm funny that way", and a quick mag change can give me a fast and wider selection of bullet type..
Agree whole-heartedly with the need for a knife or three on the person at all times. Even my jama's have small pockets, so even a-bed and asleep there's always a sharp knife within reach...:s0110:

Last Edited:
I would think any good 9mm or .45 would put the hurt on a 120 lb cat.

I would even carry my single six with .22 mag.

I'm still hoping to see one some day. I got to see a bobcat in our driveway and heard a lion cub in the woods behind the shop. I didn't go looking for it , had that feeling momma would have ate me.

Can I ask?

I'm a WA resident. And, I'm not hunting. Nor do I have a hunting lic. So, is it even legal for me to go hiking in OR, while armed (open carry). Say the trails near Multnomah Falls? Not that I'd really be expecting a mountain lion around there. But, just asking?

Aloha, Mark

LoL that's where you'd least want to be attacked, and they are in those hills. I think there was a jogger attacked on trail 420 a few years ago.
Tho I believe it is legal to carry in national parks and OC is legal statewide.

Yup. If you are carrying a pistol, no ODFW can rightfully say you are hunting w/o a license. Unless, of course, you are sporting a TC in .308 with a 12X scope on it. ;)

I used to carry on the belt of my backpack, nowadays it is on the belt of a fanny pack.

^^ Apparently not. Please explain to me how my good friends son managed to intercept one with a bow at 6yds as it stalked him!!!

Many stories of man encountering cougars. Especially since they are no longer hunted with dogs and have become unafraid of us. Maybe the ones on campus where you live. :p

A good friend also shot one as it was about to spring on his young son out in the woods of E. Oregon.

Ever heard a cougar scream? Sounds like a woman dying horribly. Not something you would forget if you lived rurally.

Not sure it this has been posted yet. Like the guy on the commercial with the Brittish accent. And ya have a gun.

I stated earlier I would carry a .22 mag. I doubt I would if I was in an area where pissed off Lions were known to eat people. Since I have better choices.

Mountain-Lion-Encounter-3.jpg

Not sure it this has been posted yet. Like the guy on the commercial with the Brittish accent. And ya have a gun.

I stated earlier I would carry a .22 mag. I doubt I would if I was in an area where pissed off Lions were known to eat people. Since I have better choices.

View attachment 392303
The thing about a .22 mag is they are pretty lame out of a handgun. The velocity is very low and the bullet (it's an actual copper jacket) is unlikely to expand.. though of course if you're hunting them, a .22lr is often used.

The thing about a .22 mag is they are pretty lame out of a handgun. The velocity is very low and the bullet (it's an actual copper jacket) is unlikely to expand.. though of course if you're hunting them, a .22lr is often used.

Out of a 6.5" barrel a 40 grain cci maxi mag is going around 1600 fps. No slouch. Way more than the standard .22 guys would use after they were treed. And .22 mag ammo has some great choices these days. Like Hornady 45 grain expanding flex tip. Around 1500 fps on the same barrel length. Plenty for expansion, I would think.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top