JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No judgement here. Heck, I might have said "Oh, well." myself. But I wouldn't "out" myself on social media like that. Those game wardens make a lot of busts off of social media posting. :s0062:
"Oh well", in this instance, meant that I didn't shoot. I tried to take two more steps to get off of the road and the buck disappeared behind the ferns. It would have been cool if I had been able to take that deer, because it would have been a two-fer for us. I was on my way to help my wife who had shot a buck a little while earlier.

I just saw of a cougar attack on a couple of hikers in northern California. One died. What really bugged me was that when law enforcement arrived at the body that the cat was guarding, they made shots to scare the killer cat away. Shouldn't they have killed that cougar?

"Oh well", in this instance, meant that I didn't shoot. I tried to take two more steps to get off of the road and the buck disappeared behind the ferns. It would have been cool if I had been able to take that deer, because it would have been a two-fer for us. I was on my way to help my wife who had shot a buck a little while earlier.

I just saw of a cougar attack on a couple of hikers in northern California. One died. What really bugged me was that when law enforcement arrived at the body that the cat was guarding, they made shots to scare the killer cat away. Shouldn't they have killed that cougar?
My guess is that they didn't know the guy was dead and wanted to get to him ASAP... maybe they thought it might take longer to reliably shoot and kill the cat than to scare it off? Or, maybe it was too close to the guy on the ground and they figured it was a bad shoot with him in such close proximity 🤷‍♂️

I figured you didn't shoot. Just funnin' you a little. :s0084: :p

I had to go read an article about the killer cat. When I saw the story on the news, they said the wildlife officials "euthanized" the cat. They didn't include the part about law enforcement scaring it away. Hopefully there was a good reason they didn't shoot it themselves. Something along the lines of what @Paolung suggested above.

I've shot a bunch of larger critters with the 9mm.. hog, deer, coyote, probably forgetting some others. No brain shots, not one got away.
Anyway, a friend of mine, long ago got him a 9mm and a boner to shoot a deer with it back home in Idaho. I told him like ten times not to use jmj/hardball. When he got back I grilled him and he confessed he'd used fmj and the deer got away, never found. I scolded the turd pretty harshly.
The brain shot matters when you are being charged by a cougar or bear because you need an instantaneous kill so the predator doesn't maul or kill you while it is dying. In hunting the animal is normally farther away, and a noninstantaneously killing broadside shot works fine on medium size lightly built animals like deer, coyotes, and small pigs. Most people like to carry something more than a 9mm while hunting because even hunting deer means you could get charged from close range by a bear who has taken over your kill or some other hunter's.

WhenThe brain shot matters when you are being charged by a cougar or bear because you need an instantaneous kill so the predator doesn't maul or kill you while it is dying. In hunting the animal is normally farther away, and a noninstantaneously killing broadside shot works fine on medium size lightly built animals like deer, coyotes, and small pigs. Most people like to carry something more than a 9mm while hunting because even hunting deer means you could get charged from close range by a bear who has taken over your kill or some other hunter's.
When I tromped grizzly country in Montana I'd mainly carry a 4" S&W .44 magnum loaded with cast-by-me 320gr SWC's.
Mountain lions generally weigh less than a human and I know what a 9mm can/will do. I'm comfortable carrying it and confident in my skill using a handgun at close quarters or long range.

IMG_2150.jpeg
Why have any doubt! One press of the trigger and the bear, cougar, or whatever will be no more lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top