JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I've posted this before, but this is my Mountain House (and other food) list - gives you some idea of what calorie counts & servings are. I basically buy an additional case of food anytime something bad comes up - 9/11, Earthquake, Katrina, etc. - it adds up over time.

View attachment 202322

I also purchased from eFoodsdirect.com and had to sample it, good stuff, I also bought enough of their non-hybrid seeds to last us a few years :s0155:

I like the MH as well. Although I have been turned on to eFoodsdirect.com They will send you 3 sample meals to try, you pay for shipping. Both my wife and I think that they taste great and have great storage life. My next order will contain their non-hybred seeds with a 5 year storage life as well as some food.

Just took delivery of a box of Mountain House meals last week. We didn't do a lot of research, so it's comforting to see the endorsements of this company's products. As a military member, I also stockpile MREs when they are issued to me and add them to our armagedon pantry.

I read that Mountain House put away a bunch of the pouches and that they were still good after 5-7 years. They are currently storing them for longer periods to determine their shelf life. It is possible that these products could last just as long in the pouch as in the can. Time will tell.

Unless they have radically changed the packaging, the pouches will not last anywhere near as long as the #10 tins. They say that themselves. Read the full skinny here: Mountain House: The Shelf Life of pouches and #10 cans.The cans are vacuumed and then pumped with Nitrogen to get all of the O2 out while the pouches are just vacuum sealed. As one who has personally eaten an expired pouch, I learned that 7 years comes quickly, and I can assure you that disgusting is an apt word to describe it. I still buy pouches for hiking and camping, but #10 tins are IT for long term storage. Mountain House is the best freeze dried food I've ever eaten, and I've probably tried most of them.

I'd never heard of an SOS bar before that Sun mentions above (top item in his list). How many of you eat them and what do you think? <broken link removed>

I'd never heard of an SOS bar before that Sun mentions above (top item in his list). How many of you eat them and what do you think? <broken link removed>

Your link goes to the SOS energy bars - I've had these before & didn't care for the flavor/texture much. I prefer the <broken link removed> - a little more plain in flavor, but not offensive.

I posted a short review of the food rations in this thread.

Not only does freeze dried food take up less space, but it also weighs much less if you have to bug out. Probably the best option would be a combination of both types of food.:D

That's what I'm doing.

A combination of beans, pasta and canned goods type foods for short to medium term SHTF, but I'm also stashing some freeze dried foods for long term storage, just in case.

I also keep a decent number of MREs on hand because they're easy, and not too bad for transport, in case we end up needing to leave in a hurry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top