Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mountain House

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by riverrat373, Aug 24, 2010.

1. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

I plan on buying and storing Mountain House #10 size freeze dried foods. They have a longer storage life than MRE's and taste pretty good. Storage temperature is critical in getting the maximum life out of any kind of survival or emergency food supplies. Mountain house foods should store for close to 25 years if you can store them around 60 degrees max. Before buying the large cans, I would recommend buying the same food in smaller quantities and trying them. What one person says is good you may not agree with!:D

2. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

Mel Tappan said almost the same thing about mountain house and I have to agree they are pretty tasty.

3. Ragingpit

Ragingpit Rochester,WA Member

I like the MH as well. Although I have been turned on to eFoodsdirect.com They will send you 3 sample meals to try, you pay for shipping. Both my wife and I think that they taste great and have great storage life. My next order will contain their non-hybred seeds with a 5 year storage life as well as some food.

4. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Agreed - I have plenty of Mountain House #10 cans around here & just bought some for my mother.

5. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

They are produced in Oregon also,down around Albany IIRC.
    ( Mountain House, a division of Oregon Freeze Dry, Inc.)

6. jhc5

jhc5 Seattle, WA Member

I know I'm being lazy, but how big is a can, how much does it cost per can, and how many do I need for a two person week-long supply? My existing stash is small and needs rotation.

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

About this big (holding up hands)......

8. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

Got two meals in my pack and will be eating them this weekend in Albany, what are the odds? :) Jetboil and MH = light good eatin for the trail

9. jhc5

jhc5 Seattle, WA Member

:) . Well played. I'll go google the info in shame. :p

10. CJ49er

CJ49er Lake Oswego Member

I love my Jetboil, well.....and the Mountain House grub:love:

I think I have eaten most of there menu (except the new wrap fillings) and I have liked them all. Sweet & Sour Pork with Raspberry Crumble for dessert..hmmm hmmm good.

All my experience is with the pouch meals, havent had any of the #10 cans.

11. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

the couple that I have eaten when camping have been pretty good. Although the cheese in the lasagna was a beeyotch to clean out of the mess kit. Don't think I will get that one again just so I don't have to clean it up.

12. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Chili Mac is one of my all time favorites from them -- I'd almost eat that for lunch everyday if I could :p

13. sir-frogman

sir-frogman Prineville Or. Member

MH + Jetboil : luxery in the woods

14. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

I certainly wouldn't debate the quality or convenience of Mountain House. I especially love the Beef Stroganoff... and so easy to prepare when camping.

What I would debate though is the cost. They can get prohibitively expensive, especially if you are building up a long term supply of food. For the cost of a years supply of Mountain House, you can buy bulk wheat, corn, beans, lentils, etc. for at least 3 years.

Yep, the bulk staples are more tedious to prepare, but in the end, I would rather live 3 tedious years than 1 convenient year (wife handles the cooking anyway, and she doesn't mind).

Personally my philosophy is a mix. Mountain House to handle short term emergencies and bulk food for the long term.

The one "issue" I have found after eating MH for a few days in a row is the accompanying gas....;)

15. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

I recently purchased 7 of the large cans from Sportsmans Guide. Go to thier website and search for Discounted Mountain House, that may save you a few bucks. The cans I received were all current production run. The diced beef was $47.00. A serving of a meal may be as low as 350 calories so store the foil packed instant potatoes $2.00-4.50 at Safeway to kick-up the calorie count as well. Be sure to buy a can of green veg for fiber!
    Visit Mountain House web site for thier best seller list!
    At this stage I think things are getting close to a tipping point. If the Dems loose in NOV there will be riots. If the Dems win there will be tyranny. Canned goods last for a few years. Cheap, heavy, available,,,it's an option.
    Oh and cooking oil, lots of cooking oil, needed to transport nutrients through the body!

16. riverrat373

17. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I just ordered a case of six - dimensions are 18.5" L x 12.5" W x 7.5" H. On average, there are about ten servings per can and each serving is around 225 calories. This can vary considerably with some of the vegetable dishes only delivering 30 calories per serving while some entrées get above 300 calories.

Let's assume 28,000 calories for two people over a week. You should be able to do it with two cases if you choose the right meals. I've found that a case costs around $170-$200 depending on what you choose.

In my opinion, the big (huge) plus-side to Mountain House stuff is that it lasts for 25+ years (thus eliminating the worry about rotation - or at least postponing it for a very long time) and it's stuff that you can try by buying the smaller foil pouches first. If you don't have to worry about rotation, then it's easier to build-up your supply over time since you're not spending money on replacements. Downside of Mountain House is cost & need for fuel/water to reconstitute.

I have no doubt that you can obtain long-term storage foods much cheaper by buying bulk wheat, honey, salt, etc. However, I don't eat that stuff normally & wouldn't want to rely on my skills at utilizing it during an emergency. No criticism of the folks who make this work; it's just not for me.

18. riverrat373

Not only does freeze dried food take up less space, but it also weighs much less if you have to bug out. Probably the best option would be a combination of both types of food.:D

19. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I have tried Mountain House products (in the pouches) and I like them. Good flavor and I can get two meals out of most of them. I am storing them in clear plastic totes. You can use food grade buckets, too. You will find these buckets (used) at Delis and bakeries for a dollar or so. I buy my MH products at Bi-Mart.

20. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

It is important to note that the pouches only last for 5-7 years