JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope this is posted in the right section. I am planning on getting a sport bike again and am wondering how others carry while riding. When I had my Ninja, I carried a different gun, and almost always OWB. I used Galco brand holsters with a thumb break that snapped together to hold the weapon in place. They never came unsnapped on short or longer rides.

I currently carry either an XD9sc or XD45 service in a Galco IWB, no thumb break. Is thumb break necessary? Thoughts on suitable holsters? Thanks:s0155:

P.S. keeping the gun completely covered while riding is preferred, but not that big a deal to me.

It would depend on your percieved need to draw while moving and needing to draw left handed. I would suggest a nice shoulder holster or a pocket inside the jacket. I ride cruisers so what works for me may not work for the sportbike riding position but a nice small of back works for me along with a back up in my coat.

I hope this is posted in the right section. I am planning on getting a sport bike again and am wondering how others carry while riding. When I had my Ninja, I carried a different gun, and almost always OWB. I used Galco brand holsters with a thumb break that snapped together to hold the weapon in place. They never came unsnapped on short or longer rides.

I currently carry either an XD9sc or XD45 service in a Galco IWB, no thumb break. Is thumb break necessary? Thoughts on suitable holsters? Thanks:s0155:

P.S. keeping the gun completely covered while riding is preferred, but not that big a deal to me.

I ride a cruiser style bike as well and picked up a very nice Buffalo hide vest at the Expo Gun Show a year or two ago that has 2 inner pockets one on either side of the front closure that have heavy duty velcro closures. I used some industrial fabric/leather glue to affix a large hunk of velco to the inside of each pocket and used one of Crossbreeds Ohai Holsters to carry my Sprinfield XD45 in the left pocket and then modified the stock XD mag holder to affix in the RT pocket.

For Sport Bike use I'm sure you could find a Joe Rocket or similar jacket that has a vertical opening inside pockete that you could do a similar treatment on.

I ride a sport bike. I use a shoulder holster. Don't have to worry about the jacket riding up and uncovering my gun.

Last Edited:
I use a leather 'gun vest' when riding the Harley and it works well for that . My S&W 642 is the largest {thickest} frame I could conceal comfortably in the vest without going to a sloppy larger size.

I ride a sport bike. I carry an M&Pc. I carry in my Comp-tac IWB or Uncle Mikes OWB Kydex depending on how I am going to carry that day. I had no problem in 10k miles last year........

You will want a holster with some retention like a Kydex, but I have not carried with a snap holster for a long time. I would not carry on my bike with something like a "slide" holster.

Whatever you do, make damn sure the gun isn't gonna punch a hole through your ribs when you fall off. Been riding 40 years and managed to total my bike in October and was very glad not to have a sidearm on me during both the impact and roll. That said, I use a small magnetic tank bag for carrying and take it with me everywhere.

Whatever you do, make damn sure the gun isn't gonna punch a hole through your ribs when you fall off. Been riding 40 years and managed to total my bike in October and was very glad not to have a sidearm on me during both the impact and roll. That said, I use a small magnetic tank bag for carrying and take it with me everywhere.
That would be my biggest concern about carrying while riding.

Of course there's always this option if you dont mind open carry:

f85232a7c761a381f043354612b2f719.jpg

I just got a shoulder rig, but I was thinking of getting a safariland and rigging it up to my chest, but if I were to wipe out I totally wouldnt want that thing cracking up my chest

That would be my biggest concern about carrying while riding.

Of course there's always this option if you don't mind open carry:

f85232a7c761a381f043354612b2f719.jpg

I wonder how many cars/trucks cut him off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I bought a vest also.It has two huge pockets that you can easily put a 1911 in and draw from.It already had the straps inside for a gun.I got it large enough to go over a coat.
http://www.eagleleatherstore.com/store/category/2/277/Mens-Concealed-Weapon-Vests/

I'm all for the left hand draw also,as the throttle take up the right hand.
I also have a lanyard for my gun.
My new glock has a hole in the grip for it and it's pretty easy to put a little hole if your gun doesn't.(poly frame,that is)
The idea being shoot,accelerate,and deal with it at a safe place.All while keeping the gun
Be a bubblegum dropping your gun at 80mph
Read about a guy watching his friend do this.He was following and the pistol fell out of his pocket and exploded as it hit the pavement.Parts everywhere.
But the idea of the lanyard is so you can drop the gun and get back to maneuvering the bike with two hands,if you need to use the gun while riding.

This is my new favorite.It's ambi,so I can use it for riding or everyday carry.Rides high too

yeah that is what I have been thinking too. I have had lots of motorcycle crashes - most on the track, a gun stuffed in your now broken ribs would really suck. i have a tank bag too and will most likely use that when I get my conceal permit.

5.11 Select carry pack. I can't believe I've carried for so long w/o it. Look up the 5.11 video. This pack makes for instant access while biking, hiking or strolling around down town... Works great while riding and doesn't move around much.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know of a good motorcycle salvage yard that has a good selection of sportbike stuff near Vancouver/Portland? I'm in need of a few parts for my old CBR9. I know that I have the parts somewhere in the cargo container but probably won't be able to get to them until late fall next year when I anticipate having the house finished. Would like to get the bike back up and running while I have the time.

wether its my GPz750 sport or my XL185 enduro i carry the same as when im driving my car or walking about. IWB, 4o'clock.

its memory for it to be there, im no changing it because im riding, then have a problem where i go to reach and its not there and in a pocket now or in a sholder holster. i just prefer to stick to however i always carry. i could also care less if my coat rides up every once in a while because my shirt still covers it.

It would depend on your percieved need to draw while moving and needing to draw left handed. I would suggest a nice shoulder holster or a pocket inside the jacket. I ride cruisers so what works for me may not work for the sportbike riding position but a nice small of back works for me along with a back up in my coat.

I've been riding with CCW both on and off road for 20 years. I highly recommend NOT carrying in a shoulder rig or using a holster vest. I want that solid chunk of metal/plastic as far from my chest as possible in a crash! I bruised my ribs landing on my PPK/S that was in a shoulder rig on my dualsport about 15 years ago. It was a light fall too, at about 10mph on a muddy trail with a soft landing. I cannot imagine the fun of doing the ragdoll tumble at speed with a gun bouncing around smashing my ribs in and poking them through my lungs! I carry at all times and feel naked without a handgun. I would leave my gun at home before I'd carry in a shoulder rig on a bike again.

wether its my GPz750 sport or my XL185 enduro i carry the same as when im driving my car or walking about. IWB, 4o'clock.

its memory for it to be there, im no changing it because im riding, then have a problem where i go to reach and its not there and in a pocket now or in a sholder holster. i just prefer to stick to however i always carry. i could also care less if my coat rides up every once in a while because my shirt still covers it.

I currently carry my XD45C in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB at 4 O'clock on a Comp-Tac Kydex reinforced belt. I am not concerned with weak-side draw while riding. When riding a motorcycle your greatest defense is maneuverability and speed. I honestly think that anyone believing they could effectively (or safely) shoot anything/anyone with a handgun while riding a motorcycle one-handed is fooling themselves. You've probably watched too many movies and/or have not actually tried it. I have tried it under controlled circumstances and it's damned near impossible. Under stress? No way in ****. Even with cars Clint Smith says, "Drive or shoot, not both at once!"

did i ever say i was a movie star or that i would try to fire my gun WHILE riding. no so please don't put words in my mouth. what i ment is i train with the gun in one place so it becomes muscle memory. heck im on a motorcycle and if someone wants to start crap i can, like you said, out maneuver them and ride off. you are no safer IN a car then ON a motorcycle when it comes to a shootout. and i dunno about you but i rather get the heck out of dodge then try to shoot from a motorcycle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top