JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just wondering if you fine folks have suggestions on the best way for me to carry my XDm 9mm compact while I'm commuting on my motorcycle? I always wear armored pants/jeans, and armored jacket, and sometimes a 2 piece rain suit (it is Oregon after all). My jackets and pants are fitted as such that in the event of a crash the armor all stays put (far more likely than needing my weapon) so there isn't really room for IWB or an OWB holster. A shoulder rig is no good because it wouldn't be accessible, and I'm not hardcore enough to go tactical holster in the open. I mean, in a tank bag? I don't know but welcome any suggestions you may have

One of the few situations where I suggest a shoulder holster is in situations like this. Could you get a well fitted shoulder holster to fit inside of your jacket with your pistol? Then switch to an IWB when you are off the bike?
Or perhaps look at having your jack custom fitted with an internal holster?

M

Just like Morpheus said, a fitted inside holster. I have used my tank bag in the past, but now I use a Maxpedition bag with holster pocket.
Nice bike btw, I had a black 92 VFR and loved it.

I ride a Magna and an FZ6 and I carry a .380 in my front chest pocket. If you wear a pack you can get the conceal carry quick access packs with the side access that you can open with gloves. Or even something like this.
PUSH Pack | 5.11 Tactical
When I hit the 4 point buck back in 2010 my glock 26 and mags where in my hydro pack or my camel bag. The medics, nurses and Doctors never found it. Funny thing is they gave me my backpack in the hospital. I guess they didn't see the zipper in the back.
The bag held up to a 60mph slide and my full gear saved my life.

No easy way when wearing armored gear. My pistol always ended up in the tank bag or trunk when I was commuting on the bike. It would be a lot easier in a butt pirate outfit, but there's no way in hell I would ride without the gear. I never did get around to doing anything, but the only reasonable way to keep a pistol on my person, concealed, and relatively safely, would be with a shoulder holster. Either that, or get a small pistol with a pocket holster and put it in a jacket pocket. No matter, I'm not going to be shooting while on the bike, or without taking off the gloves first anyway, so it shouldn't be too big an issue to have to take a few more seconds to dig the gun out - after all, the first and best option on the bike is to just twist the throttle and GTFO.

I always used a shoulder rig while riding. Make sure you practice drawing and shooting with your riding gloves on. I carried a p7m8 because I didn't like the how my riding gloves were too bulky to get a decent trigger feel.

Riding to and from work in downtown seattle in the wee hours of the morning will make u think twice about carrying with in easy reach. Especially when you pull up to a stoplight with a bunch of hoodrats eyeing you and your bike.

@ jbuck- that is exactly the situations that have me nervous- at every intersection in Salem on my commute there are sketchy looking beggars/street urchins that for whatever reason try to engage me in conversation and have even started to approach me. I'd prefer to ride away but when you are captive at a red light and a busy intersection...The problem with a shoulder rig is access. Nearly all of my jackets are a heavy zipper with a flap over the top- difficult to get through in a hurry. I like the idea of an messenger type bag with an accessible pouch or a smaller pistol with a pocket holster...just means I need another gun- that'll be fun to try and get past the "finance department" (wifey)

You need something with a large trigger guard and a heavy pull. A snub nose makes allot of sence. I had to find a riding jacket without the flap once I started carrying though. It was cheaper then a new pistol.

I've been riding for several years now and have had a ccw for far longer then that. I would give serious thought about not using a shoulder holster while riding (which I have done in the past).

You mention you ride with armored gear, which means you are open to the possibility of something happening. Follow this scenario: Something happens, you go down; odds are you are going to impact the ground with your torso. Now, when you do hit the ground and happen to land on the side you are carrying, what will happen to your ribs? Last time I had an unexpected dismount and landed on my right arm, my ribs ached for a week (nothing on but the armored jacket), and that was a sub 10mph get off. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was carrying my .45 or even a snub. I no longer shoulder carry for this reason. If I take a sidearm with me, it is in the tankbag without a round in the chamber (just in case)

I'm feeling the Maxpedition bag- I usually ride with a backpack anyway to carry my lunch and like the accessibility of the pistol compartment. @ vstromvoyager- does that have a second strap that goes around the waist to keep it from moving around?

Not necessarily I have a Maxipedition Side Bag that carries my XD40 SC. That has pocket I put the gun in
SO you might check different makers to see if one fits better.

Everyone here just carries them on their hip.

@ jbuck-. I like the idea of an messenger type bag with an accessible pouch or a smaller pistol with a pocket holster...just means I need another gun- that'll be fun to try and get past the "finance department" (wifey)

I have thought about this also. If I am riding to work its a little ruger 38 in front pocket. On weekends its a 1911 in a galco holster on hip. I have even crashed on forest service roads and it stayed put. I ride a dual sport. I could not imagine needed to shoot from bike. So front pocket or hip under outer riding pants should be fine. I do like the idea a tank bag with a velco tear open pouch for 1911 though...mmm. Would be hard to use throttle and shoot though. Being right handed.

Lots of options I did not read.
Carrying is always a compromise.Always effected by weather and the clothes we wear.
That said,I wore a touring jacket with a liner.Not a close fit crotch rocket jacket but still had armor pockets.The outside pockets were plenty big for a carry gun

Again,compromise just a little.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top