JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://motoped.com/survival/

300 miles on a tank.
k8KMMtq.png
uZOhwRq.jpg

And because it's labeled survival, painted in od green, and has mounts for jerry cans. Add 2-3000 dollars to normal msrp of a generic moped.

It's cool. But in a real survival situation this stands out more than anything.

Id take a Honda 100x over this. They are pretty tough little bikes.

Basically you buy the frame kit and add your own engine.

If you want, or if you must, in some areas they can be licensed as a motorized bicycle if you keep the engine under a certain HP power rating and usually 50cc and keep the pedals and keep them under a certain speed (25 to 35 MPH). For some people who have problems with getting a drivers license, this can be a solution.

You can also bump the engine displacement up to about 125cc without changing the 49cc marking on the case, thereby officially keeping the displacement under the limit - just don't get caught going faster than the limit for a motorized bicycle.

For most people, this isn't an issue - it makes no difference to me whether it is a bicycle or a motorcycle, I have my license with a motorcycle endorsement. But for some it may be an issue.

The other advantage is that these weight 100 to 125 pounds, which is generally lighter than almost any other street legal motorcycle, and if you don't have a bad back, it can usually be lifted over many obstacles, including fences if you are fit.

As for noise, that depends on the silencer you use, but yes, generally any motorcycle is going to be louder than a car unless it is electric. If you want this one to be quiet, you can pedal it, but then it becomes a really heavy bicycle.

Don't think you can ride this on a bicycle trail, even with the engine off, it is usually considered legally a motorcycle for the purposes of such trails.

There are pros and cons to everything.

The thing I always consider is what is my foot print. I want zero, the thing is they would hear you before you hear them. I love the Bike though a cool factor of 1000 for sure. Around here one of the things we practice is small foot print.
I think a Mouse in my living room, or a tiger. Which really do I want to appear as to would be badguys. I think if SHTF stealth will be the survival mode most used. Perhaps large armored groups wont mind appearing as tigers. But most of us will be in small groups which means small target, which mean stealth equal living another day to fight.
Dangit why is all the cool stuff not as practical as it is cool.
By the way Bolus not knocking your thread that thing is pretty bad-asss

Nifty looking with the od/black paint and knobbies....

Urban areas with rivers running through them would have a number of people trying to infiltrate or escape using small-camouflaged rafts, under cover of darkness......

Using unsecured roads and trails with motorized anything would violate a fundamental of security.

But in a non-attributional (guerrilla) warfare situation, an occupying force may let you travel in their sector once they know you aren't a threat..

Bring them hot soup on a cold day :D

There are much better seats you can get for any bicycle.

I gave my mountain bike to my brother over a decade ago. I couldn't ride it anymore with my back - at least I couldn't ride it enjoyably like I used to. If I had to use a bicycle to get home I could

$3600 is not much money really. A high end bicycle will run that easy.

Not that I feel any need to buy two or three.

Personally I would rather have a Yamaha TW200 for this kind of work which is again about the same scratch. It weighs three times as much but it will also take substantially more abuse and I bet will operate on minimal maintenance far longer. It would also pack far more weight at a more respectable speed.

If you are really trying to get out of dodge and not just move yourself around locally something much larger than either of those would be necessary. I think I have posted a pic of my rig before which is a Kawasaki Versys with a enduro hack It will do 80 MPH and pack 400-500 pounds including the rider with no struggle. I could probably pack 750-1000 pounds in a last ditch move going slower. 217815_3462121958828_1127669904_n.jpg

Add me to the TW200 list :)
TW.JPG
Awesome , fun , nimble, I am sure there are more such to add. Wife learned to ride and got her ticket, son learned to ride and will get his. Great commuter and trail ride :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top