JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I dont want a full on monitored home alarm system, I just cant afford it, plus my parents had one when I was growing up and it was more hassle than it was worth (I am sure it has improved though)

My house itself I am not really worried about, the neighborhood is good and practices "block watch" and plus my wife works nights/mornings and I work days, so there is only a couple hour gap when no one is home, and our ankle biter dogs will protect our house ahah!

What I am concerned about is our detached garage that is off an alley, it has a couple windows on it that I plan on baring one of these days but I am also thinking about getting a motion sensor alarm. Just something I can mount up in the rafters so if you go in and dont disarm it say within 10 second it has a very loud siren. I figure this will scare the BG away while I run outside to see whats up.

I use my garage as a workshop (lots of tools) and big boy toy storage (motorcycle, jet ski, maybe a quad here soon) so there is ALOT of money wrapped up in my garage.. And I am just trying to figure out an easy way to protect it.

A battery powered motion sensor seems like the real way to solve the problem.

Is your garage electrified? Somewhere on the web I have seen advertised sirens that screw in like light bulbs into a motion-sensitive security light fixture, which are cheap and available everywhere. Just mount it inside the garage on a separate switch that you can turn off before you enter the thermal field of the photocell.

Another option is to use a "sonic" electric outlet adapter to plug a siren into, like the "Clapper", which is set off by loud or sharp noises. If you enter quietly you can just manually switch it off while you are there. I used to travel a lot, so I put one of these next to the window most likely to be pried or broken, with a BRIGHT RED spotlight aimed at the window. A burglar would get this in the face and likely retreat, even though it was silent and would not bother the neighbors.

A cheap setup for security bars is just to use three-quarters inch thinwall electrical conduit tubing, and the screw-down mounting straps for it. If you are worried about a determined thief sawing through, hide some steel rebar or other metal junk inside the tubes :D.

Last random thought: make sure that scampering rats or cats will not set off the photocell! Possums will drive you crazy!.......................elsullo :s0155:

I wouldnt recomend a motion sensor as I had some bad experience with one. The problem is a small spider crawling across it looks like a giant and off it goes. I have a sound sensor that detects breaking glass attached to that zone set now instead, along with contacts on all doors and windows. I have tamper proof siren boxes mounted outside the shop as well as inside so it goes off if they mess with the sirens also. Another idea is rose bushes or some other type of thorny bush planted at all the windows, great detourant and cheap.

An alarm is your second line of defense.

Install a double cylinder (keyed on both sides) deadbolt on your garage man door. One that cannot simply be removed by a screw driver. See your local locksmith.

Then put a good padlock on your roll up door.

Do not leave any tools laying around that can be used in defeating your locks.

If they break out a window, anything they steal will have to be carried out the same window.

I've got a shed far from the house that I worry about sometimes, and it doesn't have power to it, SO...
<broken link removed>
It's just a battery-powered POS that makes the base station beep when something passes in front of the sensor, but y'know, it actually works - too well. I had to move it inside the shed because every nocturnal varmint strolling by was setting it off.

For twenty bucks, it's an interim solution until you can get the double-cylinder locks and hardwired system that others here have recommended.

Got this emailed to me today.

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Go to a secondhand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16 work boots.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of Guns & Ammo Magazine

3. Put a few giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads:

Bubba,

Bertha, Duke, Slim, & I went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour.
Don't mess with the pit bulls; they attacked the mailman this morning and
messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell
from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house.

Better wait outside. Be right back.

Cooter

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews