Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mother Mistakes Small Gun for Cigarette Lighter, Daughter Wounded

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PhotogUSA3, Jul 28, 2011.

1. PhotogUSA3

PhotogUSA3 Boring, OR Member

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the mother messed up and wants to cover herself.

3. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

AFTER, the mother shot the daughter she says "The lighter resembled a miniature firearm and it was lying on the ground"? Nice cover, I tried to twist things like that when I was 12.

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Darwin award. Sounds like BS.

"Derringers are among the smallest, potentially deadly handguns made."

That statement is based on?

5. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Well, any handgun is potentially deadly, and I think derringers actually are among the smallest handguns... So the statement isn't false, but "potentially deadly" is a redundant repetition when describing "handgun."

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This one doesn't pass the smell test. I used to smoke years ago and for the round to riccochet off the ground she would either have to have held the muzzle of the pistol up over the end of the cigarette with the muzzle pointing to the ground (which you just don't do lighting a cigarette) or have been in some kind of contorted position like almost bent in a "U". I'm calling BS on this one.

7. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

It never said she was trying to light a cigarette. It said she was trying to light the "lighter". Either way, how stupid can people be?

8. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

I hate stupid people.

9. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Whenever somebody either has an accident or gets a citation, or experiences some other negative event in their lives, you can always count on that group of people who want to assure themselves and everybody else that it could never happen to them to start spouting off about how dumb the person had to be, how careless they were, what awful parents they must be, that they are, in short, somehow in a way different class from us intelligent, careful, competent people who could never have it happen to them.

Without more facts I can't make a judgment about the veracity of the story, but I can imagine it going either way. Here's the deal: I've never met a perfect person, so I kinda think that if you play with guns, motorcycles, horses, boats, golf clubs, etc. long enough something unintended will eventually happen. To me that means that the proper response here would be concern for the injured party and reassurance (and maybe education) for the one who caused the injury. Then again, maybe you're that rare person who's never found a gun to be loaded that wasn't supposed to be? Maybe you've never tripped and fallen with a loaded gun in your hand? Add a little bad luck to those situations and suddenly you're "THAT" person.

10. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Possibly, and you can add eating with a fork, taking a crap in the woods, walking down the street, sleeping, eating microwaveable Mexican dinners, lipping off to your big sister, and flying small planes to your list. But the truth is that educated, responsible folks can go a lifetime without a FU while doing all of these things.

Yes, I have and I did not shoot anybody with it because I am smarter than that.

Yes again, and once again I am smart enough to know how to fall with a weapon so as not hurt anyone.

There I fixed it.

11. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Maybe they should start putting "not a lighter on the side of all firearms" -__-

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

cyclesarge and (deleted member) like this.
  12. cyclesarge

Yeah, but then you'd run into the person that thought it was an ear irrigation device.:laugh:

13. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Or ear plugs lol

Stupid people do stupid things

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

14. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

It does sound fishy.

They do make lighter look like pocket pistol or revolver, But you had me on SINGLE ACTION. lol

15. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Shhh! Ruger may be monitoring this.

16. cyclesarge

Or a SNEAK-A-TOKE.:cigar:

17. cyclesarge

She says she thought it was a lighter that "looked like a gun", wouldn't you assume it was a GUN? After all it "looked like a gun". Seems like anyone with half a brain would assume the thing that "looks like a gun" is in fact a gun until otherwise proven.

18. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Kind of like the Cheech & Chong skit about Cheborneck and his buddy walking across the tundra when they spot a small brown log shaped object on the ground. After some testing they remarked "Good thing we didn't step on it".

MrNiceGuy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. ta2er

ta2er Oregon Member

Didn't it say it was a single-action revolver? Doesn't that mean you have to pull the hammer back first? Don't know many lighters that require 'cocking' to operate. And as someone else already mentioned, how in the world would the bullet ricochet off the FLOOR?? Who tries to light a lighter upside down, whether a cigarette is involved or not? Somebody screwed up and didn't put quite enough thought into their coverup story, methinks.

20. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

facepalm. wrong thread