JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
True story,

I reckon it's been about 15 years ago, give or take. My Mother in ~ law came to visit. Right when she walked through the door, she whipped out her new Glock, to show us her new purchase. " Saying look what I got", while pointing it at all of us. It was like she had a flashlight in a bat cave. I had never seen my wife & 4 kids move that fast EVER!!. The wife and kids looked like Gazelles being chased by a lion. I pinned my ears back, ready to tackle her, until the muzzle returned pointed between my eyes. After my eyes uncrossed, which felt like an eternity, but knowing it was really just a split second. I ran from the living screaming like a little school girl. Well behind the rest of my family, I might add.

Now you may wonder about the MONEY part of this thread, well it's like this. I wanted to pistol whip her for that, However I did not have enough money for a lawyer, & court fees. (or family Therapy) Took me about 8 yrs to get over that incident. Later that evening she shared with us that she slept with it under her pillow. Five years ago, she took us on an Alaskan Cruise. The only time Iv'e ever been happy to see no fire arms allowed. People would have been jumping overboard, into the frigid waters seeking safety. She has since passed, god rest her soul.

Last Edited:
* Note: Case in point. Not everyone should have a firearm. She felt that it was ok, since it was not loaded. Obviously I felt other otherwise. Told her they are always loaded. No matter what.

Last Edited:
Grandma had always been a bit paranoid to the point of being afraid to be alone at night. This was set in stone back in the 60s in Fresno when some random gal jumped into her car at an intersection - ever since the paranoia level was fairly high. When we moved up to help care for her and grandpa who's cancer had returned we realized that grandma wasn't just forgetful, but had fairly advanced dementia. A few years ago she started threatening to kill her self if she didn't get her way on various things which led me to "clean her gun for her" removing the hammer spur in the process just in case. I also loaded up some nice dummy hollow point .38s to further reduce risk to herself and others. A week later I checked the gun and she had replaced the bullets with some she had stashed away somewhere. It was a good thing I had as one morning about 15 minutes after giving him his meds, including pain meds, she started yelling for help. My wife went in to check on things and grandma yelled that grandpa was in pain and needed pain killers. I heard the yelling I went to see what was going on as my wife told her that he had just gotten his meds and a second dose could kill him. At that point she pulled the gun and threatened to shoot us if we didn't get him more pain meds - Man am I glad I had disabled the gun since we had to wrestle the gun from her. A few hours later I found that she had dug his shotgun and 22 rifle out from where ever he had it hidden - one was in the shower and the other laying on the floor just under the bed - took those too. Talk about a week of agony dealing with her demanding her guns back and knowing it just wasn't safe to give them back. While I firmly believe in a person's right to defend themselves I now understand why there must be some exceptions - especially for those who don't have the ability to use good judgement any longer.

Grandma had always been a bit paranoid to the point of being afraid to be alone at night. This was set in stone back in the 60s in Fresno when some random gal jumped into her car at an intersection - ever since the paranoia level was fairly high. When we moved up to help care for her and grandpa who's cancer had returned we realized that grandma wasn't just forgetful, but had fairly advanced dementia. A few years ago she started threatening to kill her self if she didn't get her way on various things which led me to "clean her gun for her" removing the hammer spur in the process just in case. I also loaded up some nice dummy hollow point .38s to further reduce risk to herself and others. A week later I checked the gun and she had replaced the bullets with some she had stashed away somewhere. It was a good thing I had as one morning about 15 minutes after giving him his meds, including pain meds, she started yelling for help. My wife went in to check on things and grandma yelled that grandpa was in pain and needed pain killers. I heard the yelling I went to see what was going on as my wife told her that he had just gotten his meds and a second dose could kill him. At that point she pulled the gun and threatened to shoot us if we didn't get him more pain meds - Man am I glad I had disabled the gun since we had to wrestle the gun from her. A few hours later I found that she had dug his shotgun and 22 rifle out from where ever he had it hidden - one was in the shower and the other laying on the floor just under the bed - took those too. Talk about a week of agony dealing with her demanding her guns back and knowing it just wasn't safe to give them back. While I firmly believe in a person's right to defend themselves I now understand why there must be some exceptions - especially for those who don't have the ability to use good judgement any longer.
Swedish K, It's always hard to watch our loved ones deal with dementia, glad you had the foresight to remove items that could have caused herself,and others harm. When my father was passing from cancer, we also removed his weapons from the home, better to be safe than sorry. I always felt bad for doing so, but he was not in the right state of mind at that point. If that time ever comes for me, I know my children will do what needs to be done. Thanks, for sharing your story.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top