JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger 10/22 would be my choice for her, there is one or two on this board right now for sale.

This.

Tghe 10/22 for all my myriad of complaints about Ruger RIFLES is an awesome gun.they tend to be tack drivers, are light, easy to use and have an excellently short LoP for females. The new ones also have some sweet fiber-optic sights for no extra charge.

For an entry .22 rifle this gets my best bet for price, accuracy, easy of use and fun-factor.

Well---as many have said, you can do a 10-22 from mild to wild, satisfying almost
any taste.

You did say that you wanted a gun that "has a real wood stock and feels amazing
in the hands", and you would probably not scope it.

I'll make a suggestion that's a little out there----Browning Auto Rifle. One of the
most elegant 22's I know of. Go for the Belgian manufacture if you want a gun that
will continue to grow in value, or the Miroku version for a LOT less money.

Either one will be a used gun---they haven't made the model for a while.

Since you said you are looking for something a bit nicer, I would look at the CZ line of .22 bolt actions. There is a wide range from heavy barrel varmint to iron sighted sporter. The quality is excellent and they feel nice in the hand.

The Savage bolts are good shooters, as are Ruger 10/22's. I've owned both as well as a CZ. Side by side, there is no comparison. The CZ has that little bit extra in appearance, style, and performance that stand out. Just my opinion of course...

One thing to consider is weight. If she's the "little old lady" type, a gun that's just right for you may be way too heavy for her. If the gun is only to be used on a bench, that's a moot point, but the Henry I bought my mom is almost too much for her to shoot standing. In fact, she likes to lean up against a post to shoot it. And this is a gun that seems as light as possible to me. Also if she is a smaller woman (or even one that is very "round") consider the length of pull. Some people have a very hard time with full sized rifles. My wife, as an example, is about 5'2" and she would have a very hard time with the full sized rifles that I have. She has a Ruger Compact that fits her perfectly. I have a hard time with it cuz it's soooooo short, but it ain't my gun!
I would suggest taking her out shopping so she can try them on for size herself.

Good luck. Getting a family member interested in shooting, especially an older one, is a pretty gratifying experience.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top