JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My mother-in-law has decided she wants a .22 Rifle for target shooting and general fun shooting (at least I hope so anyways :s0131:).

Her birthday is coming up and I thought I might look into finding a nice specimen for her. She is the type to totally under buy and will sacrifice any and all quality to save any amount of money. I would rather pay a little more to get something worth having.

That being said, I'd love to find her a nice rifle that is a very good rifle for it's price. It does not need to be an expensive one, but it should have a REAL wood stock and should feel amazing in your hands like any good quality firearm does.(I imagine how my 50 year old Marlin 30-30 feels). It can be used or new.

What kind of price am I looking at?

What make/model(s) should I consider?

Can you narrow it down just a little?

Action type? Semi auto, bolt, pump, lever action, single shot?

Sights---is she going to want a scope on it? (some older guns are NOT designed for a scope).

If a repeater, any preference on magazine or tube fed?

Look at the Savage MKII's I believe the wood stock models are the ones that the model starts with a G

Very well made very accurate and reasonably priced. Bolt Action Mag feed

Buy one YOU like in case she decides she doesn't like to shoot.

I like 22s,just about any kind.They are all fun to shoot if they feed properly.So just about all of the above are great choices.Only style I haven't had is a bolt action.And with the accuracy of some of the semi autos,I don't see the need.Except for teaching kids to shoot safely.
My henry levers guns were accurate,my cheapo Marlin ,my Remington 597,my 10 22s (especially the one I have now)
All were great fun after I found the right shells for them.

I like scopes cause it's easier to see POI for my old eyes

You know, can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. After she gets tired of it, you can give it a "make-over". 10/22 aftermarket is endless. You can replace the stock, barrel, etc and get her a totally new rifle while still being the same old rifle, sorta.

Henry lever. 7-70 everyone has fun with it Best part is you can load it with almost any 22 ammo. with 22 short and you don't need hearing protection. Can't do that with a bolt or Semi auto.
Bimart usually has the best deals new.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top