JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plus one for the charter 44spl bulldog.
Steel roundbutt frame got me to hand it back to the owner after 4 rounds. He unloaded the 5th with the empties, right in the dirt ,as he had already decided never to shoot the little mongrel ever again.

I had match grade machine make me a 12 inch 50 Alaskan for my encore pistol, full bull, non muzzle brake.i loaded up some loads from the reloading manual (starting load for rifle) put on a past shooting glove and touched the sucker off.first shot, compression cut on trigger finger right where glove ended, blood all over. Wrapped electrical tape on cut to stop bleeding and shot it 3 more times. BRUTAL RECOIL!. Now mind you I had the same company make me a 375 h-h, 458 Lott, 416 Rigby, 470 nitro express, 15 INCH full bull, muzzle braked barrels and with starting rifle loads never came close to the arse kicking I got from the 50 alaskan.

S&W 329 PD in .44 magnum forced myself through 18 rounds(3 full cylinders) of 240 grain full power .44 magnum with the factory S&W rubberized grips. F&*% that hurt to shoot, like getting hit in palm and web between your pointer finger and your thumb with a hammer. My hand didn't fully recover til about 2-3 weeks later, I'm only 27, I never thought a handgun could be that painful to shoot.

I've read reviews and heard in videos many people say shooting the 329 is worse than shooting a .500 S&W, I didn't believe them before but now I do.

Plus one for the charter 44spl bulldog.
Steel roundbutt frame got me to hand it back to the owner after 4 rounds. He unloaded the 5th with the empties, right in the dirt ,as he had already decided never to shoot the little mongrel ever again.
When that gun was designed, there was only one .44 special load available. 246gr. LRN that left a 6" barrel @ 750 ft./sec.
Very mild, but extremely accurate.
Anything stronger than that, would actually fall outside of its design parameter and however it acts, upon shooting it, is on you.
Stick with the original load with that gun and it probably won't be too bad to shoot.

Dean

A 7.7 Arisaka from the pawn shop ($30) I shot when I was about 14 reloaded with some match head homeade foil primers and some old fireworks for propellant out of a test blank cartridge stuffed with a tad too much toilet paper. Yeah it was out of it's stock because I was "refinishing" it. "Shooting" from the hip in the backyard in suburban America. Everyone is at work - what can go wrong? Just one quick shot right?

It fired like a 1776 musket, smoke and sparks everywhere. It took off, and went through the sliding glass door and ended up next to the hot tub in the greenhouse.

Let's say when Dad and Mom got home I had some explaining to do. ......and lots of lawns to mow and dog shat to clean up for about 6 months.

Probably some of the more unpleasant guns I have shot have all been revolvers with a steep rise in the grip and a low trigger. I just don't have my grip trained for that.

S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum. Had tons of recoil and the Pachmayr grips were too small and I have big hands. It was terrible because the gun was a beauty and I ended up selling it.

Either the lefthanded .375 H&H, 20" barreled carbine from a family friend, or the 18.5" barreled 12ga single shot NEF Partner with Choate Survivor Stock set (that stock set is meant for a 20ga :rolleyes: ) too dang light for their calibers.

S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum. Had tons of recoil and the Pachmayr grips were too small and I have big hands. It was terrible because the gun was a beauty and I ended up selling it.

Strange.....I have the exact story. A 6" 629 bought from a member here. Came with a box of factory ammo. Damn I'm a pussy when it comes to recoil. I just don't see a use for it. Hand loaded and shot .44 special in it. Wasn't as cool as I thought so sold it, and dies, brass and bullets to another member.

The Ruger SP101 w/.357mag was another I shot, twice, back when I wanted to appear manly, and handed it back.

A guy in Klamath Falls touched off a 50 BMG single shot pistol. I've seen the gun, it was fouled at the time. I hear the guy didn't fare too well from that one. Sounded like factured bones.

Screw that. No way in hell I'd shoot that and I love crazy guns!
There are ways I would. All involve imminent death.

Strange.....I have the exact story. A 6" 629 bought from a member here. Came with a box of factory ammo. Damn I'm a pussy when it comes to recoil. I just don't see a use for it. Hand loaded and shot .44 special in it. Wasn't as cool as I thought so sold it, and dies, brass and bullets to another member.

The Ruger SP101 w/.357mag was another I shot, twice, back when I wanted to appear manly, and handed it back.
I shot my grandpas 44 mag redhawk when I was in my late teens. whatever unholy loads he was making severely bruised the webbing of my hand. Now I shoot 50ae and 454 for fun. But the thought of that 44mag is enough for me to nope on out. I like recoil within reason. My 357 GP100 6 inch really does not have much. Now my ruger lcr in 38 special. Holy monkeys! that little thing hurts. I could touch off 100 hot 357 loads out of the gp100 far easier than one 38 special out of the LCR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top