JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Ruger Security Six.

When they were worn out in the USA, our police in Northern Ireland - the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC)* - got them as issue carry and home security firearms. They NEVER let anyone down who needed to use them over the 20+ years they were in service. A late acquaintance of mine used his one morning at around 1am when a head he didn't know came through the kitchen window while he was there making a brew of tea. The head had followed and arm and hand, and the hand had a Browning pistol in it - the P35.

He leaned over, very quietly, stuck the barrel of his nice shiny Ruger Security Six in the nearest ear, and let loose a 158gr JSP from a distance of minus one inch - it was already inside the BG's ear.

Unsurprisingly, it worked as advertised, and the BG sagged where he was.

No second shot was necessary.

The pistol, still in his hand, had been stolen a couple of years previously from one of two off-duty police officers, murdered while they were fishing. It had also been used at least four times since in ditch executions, where the person accused of upsetting the IRA in some way had been abducted, tortured with drills and hole-saws, soldering irons - the usual thing - and then stripped to his underwear, forced to his or her knees and shot in a ditch for the SF to find. The BG might have been the trigger-puller - who knows? But he never did anything like it again.

You'll be pleased to hear that the RUC 'home and leisure fund' paid for the refurbishment of the kitchen, which was pretty much trashed by the flying brains and bones, let alone the bullet.

* Renamed Police Service Northern Ireland in 1999 - PSNI.

The Ruger Security Six.

When they were worn out in the USA, our police in Northern Ireland - the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC)* - got them as issue carry and home security firearms. They NEVER let anyone down who needed to use them over the 20+ years they were in service. A late acquaintance of mine used his one morning at around 1am when a head he didn't know came through the kitchen window while he was there making a brew of tea. The head had followed and arm and hand, and the hand had a Browning pistol in it - the P35.

He leaned over, very quietly, stuck the barrel of his nice shiny Ruger Security Six in the nearest ear, and let loose a 158gr JSP from a distance of minus one inch - it was already inside the BG's ear.

The pistol, still in his hand, had been stolen a couple of years previously from one of two off-duty police officers, murdered while they were fishing. It had also been used at least four times since in ditch executions, where the person accused of upsetting the IRA in some way had been abducted, tortured with drills and hole-saws, soldering irons - the usual thing - and then stripped to his underwear, forced to his or her knees and shot in a ditch for the SF to find. The BG might have been the trigger-puller - who knows? But he never did anything like it again.

You'll be pleased to hear that the RUC 'home and leisure fund' paid for the refurbishment of the kitchen, which was pretty much trashed by the flying brains and bones, let alone the bullet.

A Shooting Times article early in 1974 (bought the issue while in Boot Camp) as I recall compared 3 Double Action 6" .357's: The Ruger Security Six, a Smith and Wesson Model 19, and a Colt Python.

The Security Six took accuracy honors.

The Ruger Security Six.

I have a gp100 and I would state it is the best revolver I ever laid hands on. I have gotten to play with dozens of different revolvers including the infamous python. I'd take my ruger.

Single shot .22 Rifles...
Here I am talking of the Stevens Favorites and Model 15 series , the Winchester 67 and 68 , Remington's 510 , Mossberg 25 and others of that ilk....
They can be the most humble of rifle....but a lot of fun to shoot.

I have owned many , taught folks how to shoot with one...won many a : "Betcha can't hit that" kinda shot , got some meat for the camp....
I still own a few.

Simple to use as well as easy and safe for new and old shooters alike.
Many hours can swiftly pass , while shooting at discarded shot shells , stray bits of clay birds and the like...

I understand that their popularity has waned over the years...and most folks just yawn at them.
Dismissing them as next to useless and not a "serious" rifle for any purpose.
One of the many reasons why I like them , is that they are a "fun" rifle to shoot...

Back when I was introduced to firearms...many folks had a firearms , just because they were fun to own and shoot...I like that notion... a lot.

The "Ain't much to 'em" attitude ...can also mean that ain't much to break or go wrong with them....
Plus they are easy to clean and maintain.
Many are also surprising accurate.
With most of them....you can shoot .22 Short , Long or LR which is handy when ammo comes up wanting on the shelves.

I understand that these rifles , like my muzzle loaders are often over looked or underrated...
But if the rifle hits the target where you want it to....it may not matter if that hit came from a rifle that holds one shot or many....
Andy

Here I am talking of the Stevens Favorites and Model 15 series , the Winchester 67 and 68 , Remington's 510 , Mossberg 25 and others of that ilk....

I have owned many , taught folks how to shoot with one...won many a : "Betcha can't hit that" kinda shot , got some meat for the camp....
I still own a few.

Many hours can swiftly pass , while shooting at discarded shot shells , stray bits of clay birds and the like...

I understand that their popularity has waned over the years...and most folks just yawn at them.
One of the many reasons why I like them , is that they are a "fun" rifle to shoot...

Back when I was introduced to firearms...many folks had a firearms , just because they were fun to own and shoot...I like that notion... a lot.

The "Ain't much to 'em" attitude ...can also mean that ain't much to break or go wrong with them....
With most of them....you can shoot .22 Short , Long or LR which is handy when ammo comes up wanting on the shelves.

I understand that these rifles , like my muzzle loaders are often over looked or underrated...
But if the rifle hits the target where you want it to....it may not matter if that hit came from a rifle that holds one shot or many....
Andy
I love my Stevens in .38 special

Re: Ruger Security / Speed Six's.

Every time I see a thread dealing with double action .357's there's at least 10 guys who have spin a yarn of one type or another about the long lamented Ruger double actions.
"Underrated"? Not to them. Still seems like a popular sidearm.
I understand the Redhawk is the direct descendant and the GP100 is the "modern" version.

-----------------

Re: Single Shot .22 rifles.

Seems there's been quite the uptick in their popularity in recent years.
I blame the "survivalist" crowd for this.
Same guys who put the Break action single shot shotgun back on the map and heralded the Armscor M200 as the greatest handgun in the history of mankind.
You make a great point about simple, "fun-to-shoot" guns. I think as we get older, we seem appreciate that fact more and more.
I've been thinking about a Keystone Crickett with the "Adult" stock (see? Keystone's found there's enough interest to add an adult sized stock to their tiny little bolt action), or maybe an old Stevens 125.
...and I just found an unopened 100 pack of CCI shorts in the gun case......still not sure where that came from...:confused:

Re: Ruger Security / Speed Six's.

Every time I see a thread dealing with double action .357's there's at least 10 guys who have spin a yarn of one type or another about the long lamented Ruger double actions.
"Underrated"? Not to them. Still seems like a popular sidearm.
I understand the Redhawk is the direct descendant and the GP100 is the "modern" version.

-----------------

Re: Single Shot .22 rifles.

Seems there's been quite the uptick in their popularity in recent years.
I blame the "survivalist" crowd for this.
Same guys who put the Break action single shot shotgun back on the map and heralded the Armscor M200 as the greatest handgun in the history of mankind.
You make a great point about simple, "fun-to-shoot" guns. I think as we get older, we seem appreciate that fact more and more.
I've been thinking about a Keystone Crickett with the "Adult" stock (see? Keystone's found there's enough interest to add an adult sized stock to their tiny little bolt action), or maybe an old Stevens 125.
...and I just found an unopened 100 pack of CCI shorts in the gun case......still not sure where that came from...:confused:
I have a 357 Redhawk 8 shot and it is nice, but not as nice as my gp100.

Single shot rifles are cool in 22lr!

Savage Rascal rifles and Stevens Favorite rifles made by Savage (30G?) are the ones that I know about. I have not shot or owned the OLDER Favorite models. I know about the Stevens Favorite ones made by Savage in the early 2000 or so years.

We donated 2 Savage Rascal black single shot rifles to our range the other day so that Newbies, kids, teens, handicapped people and senior citizens can LEARN to shoot safely and learn more about firearms from PRO RKBA people.

ADDED more. I only shot 22lr out of the 2 Rascals but the book says that it can shoot 22 short, 22 long and 22 LR.

I only shot 22lr out of the former Stevens Favorite made by Savage too.

My husband shot up some older 22 short, 22 long and 22lr years ago out of one of his former lever action rifles. I personally shot some of his shorts and longs just to try it out. We used it ALL up. I personally never owned shorts or longs. I only bought 22lr and 22wmr ammunition in RF ammo.

We only buy and keep 22lr and 22wmr (For the 2 new 22wmr rifles.) on hand.

If the stupid - crazy times happen all over again, many 22lr rifles state that they will take 22 shorts and 22 longs. It stated that on many of our former lever action rifles in various brands.

I do not know much about the Crickett brand and I have never shot one. I have heard that they are popular.

Cate

Last Edited:
I've got a six-shot Super Redhawk in .357 Magnum, but it's kinda ugly...this here being mainland yUK. It is, however VERY accurate and a hoot to shoot with either the soft stuff I use for plinking, or the hot stuff it seems to prefer. It's now 18 years old and works like the well-oiled mechanism it is.

Back when I was able to shoot my .44Mag Redhawk no bowling pin was safe - the humungous mass of the thing just soaked up the fairly stiff recoil of my pet load of a 24gr of 2400 under a 240gr flat-nose hard-cast lead bullet. The post-shooting session with the Lewis lead remover was also quite amusing - I'd often get a four or five-inch-long curl of lead coming out!!! We were not allowed to shoot jacketed ammunition on the short range, y'see.

I still own a few.

Andy

...AND... they lend themselves so well to a little "Dollin' Up". This is the gun around here EVERYONE wants to shoot, even if they "don't like guns":

P7140351.JPG

Ruger Mark II pistols.

Easily the reason I don't own a semi-auto rifle in 22 LR, these pistols are just so accurate, dependable and packable!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top