JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting article...thank you for posting.
So my questions are ....Just what is it , that makes it so difficult to cope with :
Stress...
Anger...
Depression...
Self esteem issues...
That one feels the need to harm others....

Also we as people have always had to deal with the above issues...Why is it that in today's world it seems as if , for many folks the answer to these issues , is to harm others...?

At one time you could have a firearm shipped directly to your home...no FFL needed.. Up until the 1960's it seemed as if we as a nation had no real problems with this.
What has changed since then...?
Millions of guns and gun owners are in the US...millions of gun owners each day do not harm other people with their firearms...why is that not commented on more often in mainstream news and articles...?

Back to the OP , we need to recognize that not every one who needs a little extra mental help , is a not danger just because they may own a gun...If they could seek out help before this issue became a bigger problem , without the fear of social stigma or the potential of firearm ownership loss...maybe more folks would get the help they need.

A revamping and far improved mental help system...along with a long hard look at just what social changes / attitudes are in common with "shooters" is also in order.
Or maybe a look into all those millions of law abiding gun owners , who harm no one , just to see what and why they are different than the folks who harm others....Maybe see what they "have" that the others are "missing"...
Andy

"The FBI could only verify that 25 percent of the gunmen examined in the study had any type of mental illness diagnoses, including disorders affecting mood, anxiety and personality."

The ones that weren't suicide by cop I assume?

"The study noted, although, that a large portion of shooters, about 62 percent, were dealing with stressors in their lives such as depression, anxiety and paranoia before their attack."

Gee I wonder why in modern times....

"Those symptoms don't mean the suspect was necessarily dealing with a mental illness and the conclusion that all active shooters are mentally ill is both "misleading and unhelpful," the bureau said."

I agree

"The 30-page report examines active shooter incidents from 2000 to 2013 and suspects in 63 cases, finding suspects showed signs before they attacked but law enforcement wasn't notified in more than half the cases until it was too late."

As we've seen in recent times before it gets weaponized against the remaining law abiding.

"Forty percent of suspects purchased a firearm or multiple guns legally for the sole purpose of an attack. Another 35 percent already legally owned a gun before planning an attack, meaning 75 percent of active shooter incidents reviewed by the FBI legally owned the gun they used in the attack."

Refer to study about "stressors" in light of current political climates.

"The remaining suspects stole, borrowed or purchased a weapon illegally."

HOW BOUT THEM LAWS PREVENTING THIS BOYS!?

"The 30-page report examines active shooter incidents from 2000 to 2013 and suspects in 63 cases."

Right, now i'd like a report on death by car accidents and homicides related to vehicular manslaughter and then lets compare and contrast the two and see which one stacks up higher. BONUS POINTS: incorporate geographic and demographics of each reported area density!

Last Edited:
Back to the OP , we need to recognize that not every one who needs a little extra mental help , is a not danger just because they may own a gun...If they could seek out help before this issue became a bigger problem , without the fear of social stigma or the potential of firearm ownership loss...maybe more folks would get the help they need.

They do not want help... they want to mire in their anger... then go out and hurt people. They need intervention, which would be a more active solution than waiting for them to request help. People can sometimes see when others need help, but we have strong prohibitions against violating someones individuality. Other times we hear afterwards that nobody suspected a thing of "the quietest guy you could imagine". That is where some outreach might work. Society does NOT approve of people asking for mental health care... you are right on there.

Or maybe a look into all those millions of law abiding gun owners , who harm no one , just to see what and why they are different than the folks who harm others....Maybe see what they "have" that the others are "missing"...

They have a moral code. Their empathy has not been drilled out of them. They have means of coping and ways of dealing with anger.

And then there are the glory seekers... what to do about that?

I didnt read the article after reading the title and realized it was from the FBI

ya right like the FBI can be trusted to tell the truth and if I recall most of the recent shootings and most of the terrorist attacks the FBI ALREADY knew about the perp
and if I recall most recent shooters WERE on psychotropic drugs
do you think the FBI wants you to have guns? are you aware the FBI is demorat corrupted and guess who really doesnt want you to have guns.....demorats....... anyone see some FBI bias AGAIN :rolleyes:

Andy

The article did recognize that many Americans have mental health issues and do not harm others:
"In light of the very high lifetime prevalence of the symptoms of mental illness among the U.S. population, formally diagnosed mental illness is not a very specific predictor of violence of any type, let alone targeted violence," the study says. "Careful consideration should be given to social and contextual factors that might interact with any mental health issue before concluding that an active shooting was 'caused' by mental illness."

With our electronic medical records today, I can imagine that many folks might decide to not seek mental health help so that current or future employers, etc, will not see that info in a background check. Ditto, anyone who owns, or might want to own a gun - best to suck it up and deal with it on your own.

Most people guilty of vehicular homicide got their cars through legal means. No point to this bubblegum. There is no right of the people to keep and use cars. There is for guns.

any links to the study and not that garbage of an article?

"Australia hasn't had a fatal mass shooting since 1996"
way to go Christal Hays of USA Today who cant even google.

Osmington shooting 11 May 2018 Osmington, Western Australia A mass shooting, with three adults and four children killed. A grandfather shot his four grandchildren at their home, his daughter, his wife, and then himself.[19]

People need to stop calling these POS "shooters", I'm a shooter, you're a shooter, most people I know and certainly the ones I like are shooters, these POS are mass murderers, not shooters.

Most people guilty of vehicular homicide got their cars through legal means. No point to this bubblegum. There is no right of the people to keep and use cars. There is for guns.

There is a point to it, and it's this: media people, network owners, politicians, soccer moms all use cars. There's BIG MONEY in cars. Look at the ads on TV tonight, and I'll bet 1/4 of 'em are for cars.

If we compared the money that domestic civilian guns make and the money that cars and the auto support infrastructure makes, well--- the guns business and it's citizen market is easy to marginalize.

Same with tobacco as it is cars, there's no serious effort to stop the 1,300 deaths per day caused by smoking and there is no Constitutional amendment guaranteeing any right to kill people with it, yet... the band plays on.

To sum up, many, many more people use cars than use guns -so none dare bring up tougher controls on cars.

Also the literal tons of money made every day by the auto racket and the smoking racket dwarf civilian gun money by an astronomical amount.

As they said in the Watergate investigation, "follow the money". That's where the weight is.

So if most of the shooters were initially just normal gun owners then what they are implying is that nobody should have guns then. What is being inferred is that anybody could snap at any time so therefore it would be in the public interest to remove all of the guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews