JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I gave my neighbor some 12 ga ammo, Brenneke slugs, some winchester saboted slugs and some magnum buckshot. I still have some slugs left per my inventory list, but I would like to get some premium 3" magnum slugs or saboted projectiles.

I prefer Winchester or Federal ammo, but a name brand would be fine (i.e., not some unknown "custom" ammo).

The purpose is dangerous animal protection - something that would be used for something like a brown bear. Animals with dense large bones and muscles - something that will penetrate and break thru bones and muscles.

Feedback on these would be appreciated.

TIA

any factory 12ga magnum slugs would do the job. it just comes down to what you like.

and you have to remember you have to control it for followups

you miss the first, at least your sore shoulder wont bother you anymore.

I gave my neighbor some 12 ga ammo, Brenneke slugs, some winchester saboted slugs and some magnum buckshot. I still have some slugs left per my inventory list, but I would like to get some premium 3" magnum slugs or saboted projectiles.

I prefer Winchester or Federal ammo, but a name brand would be fine (i.e., not some unknown "custom" ammo).

The purpose is dangerous animal protection - something that would be used for something like a brown bear. Animals with dense large bones and muscles - something that will penetrate and break thru bones and muscles.

Feedback on these would be appreciated.

TIA
I like these.
The Federal Magnums are 1 1/4 oz 3 inch
The Winchesters are just 1oz 3 inch... lol.
Both are super accurate for my needs out to about 150 yards. My steel stand hates them.
After about the 10 - 15th round the pre-flinch thing starts happening and my shoulder gets too sore.
It hurt just looking at them now. :)

IMG_4099.jpg

Yeah, I was just reading about those.

Also trying to figure out what Carlson rifled choke or other choke would fit on/in a 590 barrel. May have to ask @Velzey.

Ours is the Maverick 88, it's a 20 inch cylinder bore with a 3" Chamber. It is meant for 50 yards max and in, so a choke was irrelevant. I don't think the security models have chokes. We got the 20 inch to max the number of rounds.

20210513_214916.jpg 20210513_215033.jpg

It will shoot the Black Magics and has pretty good recoil absorption.

If I ever got into reloading for 12 gauge I'd get a Lee round ball mold first.. full cylinder bore size, no wad between barrel and ball. Better accuracy than if smaller and used with a regular cup wad as is most common. They are quite heavy and of course solid and you can cast them as hard as you want.

Winchester partition gold has almost 3000 ft lbs of energy at 1850 fps. It also gives excellent penetration.
Out of a rifled slug barrel, it has good accuracy

The Black Magics are just over 3000 ft lbs and at 100 they are still at 1200 with only a 1.5 inch drop. Plus they are a double tap. Each one hits the bear twice for better penetration. You don't need a rifled barrel with them either. I need to find some.

The Black Magics are just over 3000 ft lbs and at 100 they are still at 1200 with only a 1.5 inch drop. Plus they are a double tap. Each one hits the bear twice for better penetration. You don't need a rifled barrel with them either. I need to find some.

At 100 yards, Winchester has 2,032 ft lbs of energy vs 1200 for the Black Magic. For animals like bears, I much prefer the winchester design for deep penetration.

Remington 2-3/4" 1oz slugs out of 20" barrel penetrate over 12-15" (deepest was 18") in a green fir log butt at 15 yards. That's way short of what that slug will do in flesh, grizzle and bone.
Semantics aside, that will kill anything. I don't care if it's pissed off or not.
Preferences, if we're shooting at 0-50 yards, I'm cool with my 12 gauge, but wonder why anyone would be packing a shotgun for a 100 yard shot instead of a rifle? Where i carry my shotgun for protection, I can rarely see half that distance.
But if you're so inclined, go shoot some of that 3" slug stuff. See how well you can make that second shot.

Remington 2-3/4" 1oz slugs out of 20" barrel penetrate over 12-15" (deepest was 18") in a green fir log butt at 15 yards. That's way short of what that slug will do in flesh, grizzle and bone.
Semantics aside, that will kill anything. I don't care if it's pissed off or not.
Preferences, if we're shooting at 0-50 yards, I'm cool with my 12 gauge, but wonder why anyone would be packing a shotgun for a 100 yard shot instead of a rifle? Where i carry my shotgun for protection, I can rarely see half that distance.
But if you're so inclined, go shoot some of that 3" slug stuff. See how well you can make that second shot.
Recoil from Shooting 3.5" loads produces greater recoil than any slug load. And I can shoot three 3.5" loads at geese very fast.

Recoil from Shooting 3.5" loads produces greater recoil than any slug load. And I can shoot three 3.5" loads at geese very fast.
Not a 3.5" slug. Also, with guns shooting loads like this fit and buttstock style are hugely important. I love the basics of @Ridge Walker 's Maverick, but I shot 3.5" slugs out of a Mossberg with a stock like that and it was one of the most unpleasant firearms I've ever shot. Period. And I've shot some pretty serious kickers.

My hunch is that the shot at geese are from a gas gun. That makes a big difference and would certainly cancel part of my "2nd shot" comment.

I have some of the Magnum crush. 1.5 ounces. I also have the 1 3/8 oz black magic. Can't say what they do to live targets, though I'm sure at 50% greater mass than standard slugs, they'll hit harder than hard

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top