JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd imagine most have seen it in one's own experiences, preparations, or while observing other's preparations: the inadequately prepared aspect, the blind spot, et al.

From your own life experience, what area of preparedness do you believe people oft overlook, don't prepare well enough, or otherwise miscalculate what is needed? What steps have you taken based upon said?

Thanks for sharing. :s0155:

Latrine system and supplies.

Earthquake (the most likely disaster in our region) will take out: water supply lines and sewer lines (as well as a whole lot more).

We probably all have a stash of water, can deal with no electricity, no natural gas, etc.

Might be worth preparing a latrine setup you can put in your back yard. Lots of different possibilities. There are a lot of tools, supplies and materials to setup different types of emergency latrine systems. Everything from small changing tents (i.e., portable outhouse), seats that fit 5 gallon buckets, bags that fit 5 gallon buckets, absorbents, digging tools, chemicals, etc.

If we're out of services for several weeks to several months (most likely with major earthquake damage), latrine system is essential. But who thinks about that s**t? (Sorry, couldn't resist that pun :p.)

FWIW

Keeping current on expiration dates.. from meds to aspirin.. and making certain all that stuff is watertight. Batteries.. dates..!!! Food, water, expirations and such. Is that surplus nylon or polyester tarp you stashed still good or has it rotted out on the folded seams from old age (seen it)? Most of the fails I have seen and experienced is not checking and keeping up on prepper stuff. Found Top Ramen in a truck bug out bag six years after expiration. Probably still good... but for six more years..?

I work out three days a week and walk 3 miles every day.
Wife and I eat fresh and no carbs. Have for years.

And I was thinking during my workout today.
My Dad, Grandad, Great Grandad?

They sure as heII didn't work out at 50+ !
It must be a new thing. :s0112:

That's much better then most. I find the more fit/healthy you are the less you become dependent on preps that some may deem essential for their health. But this isn't the sexy answer or cool piece of gear that people usually think of.

Funny thing, Finger nail clippers are legit hole. You don't know the number of times I've needed them in the car, but somehow I still don't have them in there. Add tweezers to that as well.

A short list I can think of for the "standard" household. I've needed multiple times in my job as a Realtor, helping a home owner. It surprises me what normal ppl just don't have in a full home they have owned for years.
Extension cords of proper gauge. Seen many ppl even with generators, but no cords to reach what they need.
Duct Tape
Variety of screws, nuts, bolts, and nails
Drain opener, snake and or plunger
Rubbing alcohol, peroxide
Cordage
(twine, paracord)
Manual can opener
Spare lightbulbs

Keeping current on expiration dates.. from meds to aspirin.. and making certain all that stuff is watertight. Batteries.. dates..!!! Food, water, expirations and such. Is that surplus nylon or polyester tarp you stashed still good or has it rotted out on the folded seams from old age (seen it)? Most of the fails I have seen and experienced is not checking and keeping up on prepper stuff. Found Top Ramen in a truck bug out bag six years after expiration. Probably still good... but for six more years..?

Check exactly how things degrade. Many meds will degrade and lose effectiveness over time but will not become poisonous. Then again, some do become real bad to take if they've broken down. The more you know!

Ramen can last damn near indefinitely. Make sure to get just the noodles (not the ones with veggies or meats), and place them in an airtight package with silica gel. Literally zero moisture will keep mold and bacteria from growing. If it looks alright, smells alright, feels alright, and doesn't have any foreign growths (like mold), it's good.

For most foods, expiration dates are just suggestions.

Funny thing, Finger nail clippers are legit hole. You don't know the number of times I've needed them in the car, but somehow I still don't have them in there. Add tweezers to that as well.

A short list I can think of for the "standard" household. I've needed multiple times in my job as a Realtor, helping a home owner. It surprises me what normal ppl just don't have in a full home they have owned for years.
Extension cords of proper gauge. Seen many ppl even with generators, but no cords to reach what they need.
Duct Tape
Variety of screws, nuts, bolts, and nails
Drain opener, snake and or plunger
Rubbing alcohol, peroxide
Cordage
(twine, paracord)
Manual can opener
Spare lightbulbs

I have solar battery banks, solar light bulbs bolts, all kinds of battery operated tools with spare batteries, can openers galore, extension cords so I can use the power inverter in my car as a mock generator if needed, and yes, finger nail clippers/tweezers/GLOVES. The gloves keep me from having to use tweezers. I pulled out tiny thorns out of my palm from a hike for 2 weeks once. I carry finger nail clippers in my EDC bag.

Cash. I know people who don't have cash on hand or even in saved in the bank. Cash is still king in a crisis. Paying for food, hotel, gas, etc. Network is down? Can't use a card.

Another thing is documentation of your stuff, computer backup off site. House is destroyed and they've lost everything on their computer. Photograph everything you own, room by room, drawer by drawer, closet by closet. Backup computer on hard drive or cloud so it's off site. It'll make an insurance claim much easier.

In my opinion cash will be useless except as toilet paper. Look to our history and notice how "greenbacks" were not welcome except at a huge discount rate. I have silver in one ounce bars. I also have .22 LR ammo in 50 round boxes. Either of these items will get you whatever you're looking for. I also have photos of me in a speedo in the event I need something really expensive.

Why would you punish yourself like that? I am way older than you and eat donuts, candy, drink sugary soda, plenty of red meat, gravy and sleep a lot. When I'm dead, I don't want people standing next t the box saying" He looks so natural." I want them to say he looks awful, no wonder he's dead!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top