JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife has been talking about getting a CHL for a couple years, but hasn't taken any steps to get it. I'm thinking of signing us up for a class and am wondering which ones had you guys feeling like you actually learned something while you were there. We're both long-time gun owners and grew up around them, so a class that merely covers the four basic safety rules would be a waste of time and money. Thanks in advance for your opinions:D

I took mine from Albany Rifle and Pistol Club and it was great. To the point, and emphasized more than just safety, but the importance of being informed while you are carrying, as well as why one should carry.

Not sure if Clyde Caceres (formerly of Crimson Trace) is still offering classes/lessons but I've taken private shooting lessons from him as well as his CCL class more than once. Well worth the investement.

He was out of NW Armory when I first found him but that was many moons ago.

Please take a moment and check out Oregon Firearms Academy LLC
On home page, left column click on Schedule, scroll down to a basic safety handgun course that is listed, click on and review course content and view the photo's. If you have any questions you can either call or e mail the office. Hope this helps!

i want to signup for the jan class, but there are no directions on location. am i driving to bend, new york city or portland?

"The only set of directions to the Academy is what is sent in your Confirmation packet.
We ask students to give us a call 10 days after registering if they didn't receive their packets...
so if you don't call us we can't help you!"

soo funny. Take I-5 south for 1500 miles then you wanna go left until you see a green sign, but not the big green sign the.....

anyway. where you at? dont need specifics,although I would like them, just how far out of portland.

OFA is located near Brownsville, south of Albany and north of Eugene. Exit 216 off I-5 (OR228).

EDITED TO ADD: OFA's 8 hour Basic Handgun Safety Course is probably the best CHL course offered in the state. Lots of great knowledge and skills to learn. It's also a great introduction (and prerequisite) for OFA's more advanced classes.

Not sure if Clyde Caceres (formerly of Crimson Trace) is still offering classes/lessons but I've taken private shooting lessons from him as well as his CCL class more than once. Well worth the investement.

He was out of NW Armory when I first found him but that was many moons ago.

I used to teach classes with Clyde ( PFTT ) when he was still with CT,last i heard he was back east somewhere.
Good instructor,and all around nice guy. And he worked out some great deals for us on CT grips :D
RK

The reason OFA does not post the directions on our website like we we used too (14 years ago) is because we'd get people showing up unannounced and then they expect us to give up our time with our paying students to give them a walk-around tour and to watch for free. Ironically of all the people who showed up for a free tour we never had one come back and take a class - go figure.

Anyway, we want to devote 100% of our time and attention to those students who are willing to invest the time and money to come and learn. Every time someone shows up unannounced we have to pull an instructor away from paying students in order to find out what they want, and to answer questions - all of this is robbing from those who paid for coaching and instruction. Also it is a safety issue which we're very adamant about.

OFA is not the only place that does this...Thunder Ranch has the same exact policy.

On another note...yes our classes fill very quickly and out several months. We get a LOT of students in our Basic class who attended classes elsewhere and some who come back through a second time. Also we're drawing students from out of state which takes up those spaces for those locally. If you really want into a class and it says "full" then call the OFA Office and ask if there is a spot open...once in a great while we have openings in earlier classes. Yesterday we had two cancel in the Sunday, Dec 5th class. We've filled one of the seats already, but the last spot is still open as of Sat @ 1650.

Getting on the good side of our Office Manager, Vivian, always pays big dividends! Thanks again for all you OFA Alumni for your support and generous words!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads