JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector First Model of 1896: Not the first S&W, but the first "modern" revolver.

Pic found on another forum:
picture.JPG

Actually, the Colt New Army, adopted in 1892, predated the Smith hand ejectors, and is the grandfather of all DA revolvers with swing-out cylinders.

1895 Nagant Revolver. First Gas seal,only silencer capable revolver. Invented 16 years before the 1911. Has been in More wars and Military actions, built better, still found around the world. Cheaper and more affordable, so has more mass appeal. Never has it been built on a CNC machine, and will be around when the 1911 is but a fleeting memory. It can also be used with different .32 cal ammo in a pinch...Take that 1911 guys....LOL( I do own a 1911A1 and have for 30 years. Just like to rattle the cage)...

1911 a fleeting memory? Right. Thats why Ruger, Sig, SW, RIA and others are coming out with new lines of 1911's one hundred years later. The 1895 Nagant was influential in what way? In all the copies it spawned... No. In all the other designs it's influenced... No. Don't get me wrong, It is an interesting pistol, but you could make a better case for a SW chiefs special.

Notice how Colts are on nearly everyone's list?

I'm not a Glock fan, but that family is in my top 3 for its pervasive influence on the development of polymer framed pistols. After the SAA and 1911, as others have said.

I don't think the quantity of guns produced or their pevasiveness is an indicator of how "influential" they have been, so the Lugers and Makarovs don't make my list. Lots of anti-Nazis and iron curtain dissidents might feel otherwise about the "influence" of Lugers and Makarovs though.

1911's just rifled of CNC machines and no longer the quality they once were. Would not be surprised that Nike made one soon. Most are being produced overseas for these companies. As for Polymer Pistols, I prefer to store My food in Tupperware, not shoot it....

as far as the 1911 vs the 1895 nagant, is the 1895 still in use? Meaning is it issued to some militaries troops anymore? I know the 1911 has been issues to us troops since the Great War.

Still being issued to Railroad and Militia Troops(Police in Rural areas) in Russia and still found in use around the world...1911 Went out of Vogue in the US Military in 1989...I do believe they've realized their mistake and are looking at "Plastic Fantastic s" in .45 ACP...

Still being issued to Railroad and Militia Troops(Police in Rural areas) in Russia and still found in use around the world...1911 Went out of Vogue in the US Military in 1989...I do believe they've realized their mistake and are looking at "Plastic Fantastic s" in .45 ACP...

Excuse my ignorance of military matters, but isn't the 1911 in some form still being issued to specialized US troops on a limited basis?

Actually they are still being issued to troops. there was an article a few weeks ago about the marines buying thousands of them to replace their beretta 92s

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top