JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend recently asked me about my fascination with the SAA, specifically the colt single action army of 1873. I replied that it was one of the most influential handguns in history, which sparked a conversation that asked, what others would make your top 3? I had to struggle for the top 3, top ten, easy, top 5 not too bad, but top 3 is much harder for me. I would say the SAA, the 1911 and the glock. The SAA because it was the first really mass produced cartrige firing hand gun that spawned the revolvers into the modern age. The 1911 and its variations for similar reasons, and the glock as the first really modern striker fire. What are your top 3?

300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

1911 Been around for over 100 years and still going strong. Tough, reliable, powerful and accurate.

P38 First double action semi-automatic. Spawned so many others.

Glock I am not a fan but you have to admit they really started the polymer frame thingie and have become more than popular. Plus the "safe action" trigger with no safeties is ground breaking.

I like the luger, too, but didnt think it was as influential as john brownings design. I agree with orygun, glocks not my personal taste, but cant argue with their influence on the market. Good luck with that sponsorship ;)

Really, the HK VP70 was before Glock, but it was not seen much here in the US so it was no where near as popular as the Glocks were and are.

The model T wasn't the first car, but it is by FAR the most influential of any of the early cars,because of it's affordability and popularity. It made cars mainstream, just like Glock made polymer guns main stream.

Ogre, intersting take on the question, I have to agree. Diesel, That pistol was a big influence on the people who held it I am sure! Ever fired one? John, why the desert eagle?
The most powerful semi auto handgun mass produced. Odds are you could walk down the street and ask people that know little to nothing about firearms and they would know what a desert eagle is :s0159:

#1 Single action Army, sure (maybe the Lematt or the Colt Walker would be in contention but niether was produced in any significant quantity)

#2 1911a1, sure

But, the glock, really:huh:? other than being produced in mass quantities like donuts(another cop favorite) there is nothing all that endearing about them:s0114:.

Actually the first Modern striker fired pistol was the HK VP70Z, do your homework.

My #3 would be a tossup between the P38, the browning hipower, and the luger P08, all with more historical significance than the glock.

More info: I now it's Wiki, but there is more out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_VP70

#1 Single action Army, sure (maybe the Lematt or the Colt Walker would be in contention but niether was produced in any significant quantity)

#2 1911a1, sure

But, the glock, really:huh:? other than being produced in mass quantities like donuts(another cop favorite) there is nothing all that endearing about them:s0114:.

Actually the first Modern striker fired pistol was the HK VP70Z, do your homework.

My #3 would be a tossup between the P38, the browning hipower, and the luger P08, all with more historical significance than the glock.

I maybe missing it, but I don't recall anyone saying the Glock was the first striker fired pistol. It was the first with no external safety and a safe action trigger. The HK VP70Z had an external safety.

Also, the qualifications for this thread was "influential" not endearing. Many MANY thing are endearing because they are NOT influential. Take a look at my favorite SUV, the International Scout II. It's not influential, but it is sure as hell endearing. (So if you don't get it from the auto reference I've been a car guy for much longer then a gun guy....but I am working on it!)

Ravens are really cool, but, Mauser M-1896 broom handle! Coolest handgun ever and some were schnellfeuer's (select fire)! Some historical significance too. I have read arguments in favor of it being the first sucessful military self loading pistol! That is first to be adopted by a national army. I want one!

I agree with you coop on the glocks lack of endearing qualities, I do not own one, but I have carried them in the past. Not ever going to see an engraved glock on my mantle piece, but influential in my mind because they lead the polymer, striker fired hi capacity pistol into the mainstream. I look at the hi power really as one of brownings designs influenced by the 1911. The 08 and p38 are interesting, not sure if their influence has continued much, the togle lock action never really caught on, although the 9mm ammo certainly has some staying power. I like theat broomhandle, too, maybe it would make the top five if i were to pick 5 instead of 3. I fired one back in the 90's, was surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot to me, pointed well too.

1895 Nagant Revolver. First Gas seal,only silencer capable revolver. Invented 16 years before the 1911. Has been in More wars and Military actions, built better, still found around the world. Cheaper and more affordable, so has more mass appeal. Never has it been built on a CNC machine, and will be around when the 1911 is but a fleeting memory. It can also be used with different .32 cal ammo in a pinch...Take that 1911 guys....LOL( I do own a 1911A1 and have for 30 years. Just like to rattle the cage)...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top