JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to put together a list of guns that are somewhat easily available for the general public to buy, that are seen as gangster type bad guy guns. Whether it be because of movies or real life. What should be on the list? I'm looking for modern, say 1980+. Not looking to include class 3 stuff.

My list so far is -

AK47
AR15 (M4 style mainly)
Glock
Tec 9
MPA 10 (Mac 10 copy)
Uzis (although kinda spendy)
Pistol Griped Shotgun

Your list covers some of the movie bad guy guns. Unless they are well financed bad guys then you tend to see a lot of MP5s and variants.
In real life the list would probably be dominated by names like Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco and anything else they can get for cheap and ditch if necessary.

I thought all guns criminals used were ak47s or Glocks. Thats what the media tells us. guide.jpg

guide.jpg

Pretty funny that you'd put all Glocks on the list, since they're the most popular guns with police departments nationwide.

Clearly, gangster guns are above all else disposable, which means Hi-Point, Jennings/Jimenez/Bryco, and Chinese AK's.

Stupid fictional super villains have given doomsday death-rays a bad name :(

Any of you watch "Gangland"? They often show tables of seized weapons and its a pretty wide variety, mostly due to the nature of criminal acquisition (IE: broke into your house, gun store, car, etc)

Hi all,
I think that the guns that they would have are hot, as most of the criminal persons can not buy a gun from a FFL Dealer. Therefore what they fine is what they would use. Criminals would only buy guns from other Criminals or persons that do not care who their gun may end up with.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

The initial list is pretty high-dollar stuff (although only the Uzi was labeled as such). But, the question was not what criminals actually use (which Toxic6 had the absolutely correct answer for), but rather what was available to the public, and perceived as gangster/bad guy guns. In that respect, the initial list is a good one. I would add only a big huge silver automatic pistol (KC said Desert Eagle).

The criminal that is actually well-informed/well-trained about firearms is an extreme rarity. (Slightly more rare than a similarly knowledgeable police officer.) Also, the "criminal firearms dealer" that shows up in a hotel room with 3 or 4 attache' cases of very refined and shiny high-dollar weapons to offer the criminal for sale is a myth. But, that is what the public sees in the movies and TV, and so that is what they believe. Law enforcement enjoys the perpetuating of these myths because they convince the public that police are "out-gunned" on the street, thus resulting in tax levy approvals for fancy cop toys. Gun control advocates enjoy the perpetuation of the myths as well: it conveys that every thug has unlimited (unregulated) access to refined sinister weaponry.

Even in the few documented instances where the cops were graphically "out-gunned" by the criminals, such was truthfully only the advantage of preparation by the criminals: the cops were surprised, had no preparation time. It was not because the cops did not have access to adequate weaponry, only that they did not have it with them. This can always happen, and cannot be solved with money to buy toys that are not constantly carried.

The guy with the case full of high end guns is a myth? In that specific image, perhaps.

Mexican drug cartels have outfitted some of their ranks with FN Five seveNs, AND the "LE and military restricted", armor piercing rounds for them. AK 47s really are all over. They're cheap, and reliable, so they circulate.

That 'guy with a case' is a straw man, or perhaps a company rep.

S&W is a saturday night special?

they can be...I think the reputation of sns in part came from people buying old revolvers that were designed for black powder shells and then shooting smokeless powder through them. a lot of the old S&W, Iver Johnson, Colt, etc. pistols in .32 and .38 that were made in the late 1800's and early 1900's were not designed for modern ammunition, and can fail under the pressures.

But i wasn't trying to imply that S&W were sns per se, i just worded it wrong. i meant to say old 38 and 22 revolvers, and sns pistols (thinking old lorcin/davis guns, old italian and german guns, etc...).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top