JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While out shooting at my dad's range, he brought out his Jack O'Connor tribute rifle he had Al Biesen make for him in 1971 so I could snap some pics of it.

Based on a pre-`64 Model 70 and chambered in .270 Winchester (of course) it cost him $764 in 1971. Just a gorgeous rifle that he used to take his first Grand Slam with.

This is the rifle back in the 70's...

IMG_20200824_154942124.jpg

And this is it today. I apologize for the crappy lighting and background (my dad's butt...) but I was thankful I was able to get any pics at all of such a legendary rifle.

IMG_20201015_141020451.jpg

IMG_20201015_141043960.jpg

IMG_20201015_141031197.jpg

IMG_20201015_141052639.jpg

IMG_20201015_141100282.jpg

The thought of this rifle being mine someday is just overwhelming.

Beautiful. It is not the style I generally naturally gravitate towards, but that one is art. (Old, archaic, and weird are my general actual preferences.) The metalwork is just enough without being gaudy, the wood is beautiful too.

Fantastic rifle.

$764 in 1971 is almost $5K today (makes my heart hurt a bit but inflation would be a different thread)

What is most important is your sentimental value.

I have one of my Grandfather's pistols. He bought it for $25....today it's worth about $2K; but to me it is priceless.

I hope the rifle stays in your family and provides years of joy.

I just noticed in the photo of the engraving on top of the barrel, Al made a typographical error. It reads, "AL BIESEN GUNMAKER SPOKANE, WN". I wonder if he actually thought Washington was abbreviated "WN" instead of "WA", or if that was a one-off goof. Interesting.

I just noticed in the photo of the engraving on top of the barrel, Al made a typographical error. It reads, "AL BIESEN GUNMAKER SPOKANE, WN". I wonder if he actually thought Washington was abbreviated "WN" instead of "WA", or if that was a one-off goof. Interesting.
In 1971 I don't believe the USPS had standardized the abbreviations yet.

That is how Washington use to be abbreviated up to around 1973. Nothing Al did was a "goof", his craftsmanship is legendary and he was old school. That's how Washington was abbreviated when he started his business and he never changed his markings. My kind of guy, just because someone in Olympia decided to make it Wa. doesn't mean you have to change your ways to suit them.

Late 1960s I saw a Sako 243 that was a gunsmiths final school project. The stock was hand inletted for a octogon barrel in a light myrtle wood, the fit was amazing. A simple and rather plain monte carlo design.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top