JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I want to hear stories about strange/awkward/uncomfortable buying experiences from members here, who met a seller or buyer of a firearm related item and found said seller or buyer to be a little "off". Here is one of mine: I messaged a guy about an AMD-type muzzle brake for an AK he had for sale, I think he lived in Vancouver. I saw the ad for the item either here or on outdoorstrader.com, back when it was still around. So anyways, he asked if I could come pick it up from his place, I said I could. He gave me his address and I told him I'd pick it up the next day when I was off work. At the time, I worked for Loomis, driving an armored truck (worst job EVER, btw) and once I clocked out, I hopped onto I-5 and headed to the address he had given me. I arrived at his place, texted him to let him know I was there, went up and knocked on his door. He opened it, we exchanged greetings, and I immediately notice a USP in an OWB holster on his right hip. No biggie, his house and all. I enter his living room, and he walks backwards from the front door across the living room and into the kitchen, mean mugging me the entire time. I ask "wheres the part?" he nods towards a table at the center of the room. I see the part and I start feeling funny; the way the guy was eyeballing me and his posture, with his gun-hip canted away from me with his hands clasped at belt level, made me feel like he was just waiting for me to make one wrong move so he could practice some Magpul dynamics crap and hold me at gun point and feel like Sonny Puzikas or something... Anyways, I grab the part and the guy says "leave the money on the table", which I did. I say my thanks and he mumbles something and I leave. Anyways, the guy just struck me as someone who read too many books by Jim Cirillo and really wanted an excuse to pull his rod and feel like a big hero. All that crap over a $10 part. Its funny too, because I remember the guy insisting that I meet him at his place, and he invited me in... I'm pretty sure I didn't look sketch, as I was clean cut and still in my Loomis uniform (my gun and belt were secured in my trunk). The guy was just acting really funny. Anyways, anyone got one they feel like sharing?

I've been to the same house buying a muzzle brake and got the exact same feeling!

Guy here had an AK-74 for sale, We exchanged messages and several text for a few days (he was holding out hoping for more $$ from someone else) he finally text me and says he's accepting my offer. We agree to meet at Sportmans in Salem (the only one in Town) I get there early. I see a vehicle pull in matching what the seller tells me he's gonna be driving. It parks right up in front of the store, we had agreed to meet at the end of the parking lot close to the Shari's restaurant. Guy gets out an looks around then goes into the store. I figured not him, a few minutes after the agreed upon time passes he text me saying he's running late, I ask how long and he says 90 minutes or so. I say ok and tell him to text me when he arrives and I leave. 3 hours later guy text and says be there in 10 min. I head back over and park in the exact same spot I had been in previously. about 20 minutes later I see the same vehicle as before pull in and park up front again. I text the guy and ask ETA and get no response. Guy then exits the vehicle and started walking around the parking lot. He had nothing in his hands, so I call and dude walking the lot stops and pulls his phone out and ignores the call. I stated my truck and got out my CCW. He then began walking around again looking all over the place. When the guy was 50ish yards from my vehicle I drove off towards the chevron gas station. I went across the street to the Shell station and called a friend who lived close by. He and his dad raced over. I sat and watched the guy walk around the parking lot and they arrived within 2-3 minutes. We discussed our options (call PD or just leave) and I decided to call him one more time. I lost sight of him right before I decided to call so we got in my friends dads truck and drove over in front of the Shopko (other end of the parking lot from Sportmans) and when I caught sight of him again I called. He pulled his phone out and watched it ring until it went to VM. I left him a message asking his ETA. Then I texted him again asking ETA. He then walked around for a few more minutes then waked back to his vehicle. Once in he texted me and asked which sportmans I was at (remember this is the only one in town) I tried to call him 2 more times and he wouldn't answer. I texted him and said I was there and had left when he started walking the parking lot. He started his car and raced out of the parking lot, almost going airborne because he hit the speed bumps so fast. He didn't slow down much as he exited the parking lot and cut off a car and nearly hit another merging onto the street. At that point we drove to my friends house and call the Sheriffs office non emergency number to report what happened. They said they were gonna have a deputy call me. About 2 hrs later I get a call and the Sheriff asks me to come down to the Sheriffs station. Well after being interviewed and showing them all my text and letting them see the messaging between the guy and myself on NWFA on my laptop I am sent home and told "This is why you buy guns at a brick and mortar store and not on the internet" and sent home. I never got another call from the sheriffs office or DA's office and they never returned any of my calls. I will leave it up to the Site Admins if they want to discuss the conversations I had with them about this.

Guy here had an AK-74 for sale, We exchanged messages and several text for a few days (he was holding out hoping for more $$ from someone else) he finally text me and says he's accepting my offer. We agree to meet at Sportmans in Salem (the only one in Town) I get there early. I see a vehicle pull in matching what the seller tells me he's gonna be driving. It parks right up in front of the store, we had agreed to meet at the end of the parking lot close to the Shari's restaurant. Guy gets out an looks around then goes into the store. I figured not him, a few minutes after the agreed upon time passes he text me saying he's running late, I ask how long and he says 90 minutes or so. I say ok and tell him to text me when he arrives and I leave. 3 hours later guy text and says be there in 10 min. I head back over and park in the exact same spot I had been in previously. about 20 minutes later I see the same vehicle as before pull in and park up front again. I text the guy and ask ETA and get no response. Guy then exits the vehicle and started walking around the parking lot. He had nothing in his hands, so I call and dude walking the lot stops and pulls his phone out and ignores the call. I stated my truck and got out my CCW. He then began walking around again looking all over the place. When the guy was 50ish yards from my vehicle I drove off towards the chevron gas station. I went across the street to the Shell station and called a friend who lived close by. He and his dad raced over. I sat and watched the guy walk around the parking lot and they arrived within 2-3 minutes. We discussed our options (call PD or just leave) and I decided to call him one more time. I lost sight of him right before I decided to call so we got in my friends dads truck and drove over in front of the Shopko (other end of the parking lot from Sportmans) and when I caught sight of him again I called. He pulled his phone out and watched it ring until it went to VM. I left him a message asking his ETA. Then I texted him again asking ETA. He then walked around for a few more minutes then waked back to his vehicle. Once in he texted me and asked which sportmans I was at (remember this is the only one in town) I tried to call him 2 more times and he wouldn't answer. I texted him and said I was there and had left when he started walking the parking lot. He started his car and raced out of the parking lot, almost going airborne because he hit the speed bumps so fast. He didn't slow down much as he exited the parking lot and cut off a car and nearly hit another merging onto the street. At that point we drove to my friends house and call the Sheriffs office non emergency number to report what happened. They said they were gonna have a deputy call me. About 2 hrs later I get a call and the Sheriff asks me to come down to the Sheriffs station. Well after being interviewed and showing them all my text and letting them see the messaging between the guy and myself on NWFA on my laptop I am sent home and told "This is why you buy guns at a brick and mortar store and not on the internet" and sent home. I never got another call from the sheriffs office or DA's office and they never returned any of my calls. I will leave it up to the Site Admins if they want to discuss the conversations I had with them about this.
That is very peculiar...

I have 2 questions.
Why did you bother calling the cops? What were they supposed to care about here?
And why didn't you go into the store and ask him if he was going to make a deal or not?
Not much threat in doing that.
OK OK 3 questions
WTF would you bother going back 3 hrs later? You weren't quite sure the guy was a looser yet?:confused:

A long time ago in a ....

so I was living in CA, about 2005-06...I had my C&R and wanted to CZ52 but locally they were still semi spendy, so with my 03 I figured i'd try to get one when I went back to WI that year to visit family and friends. I post a WTB add on a big board in the WI section about what I want, explain it and get something set up. (fast forward) Im in WI my wife and I borrow a car, drive down to meet this guy who had good feedback and post count. we meet at a park-n-ride right off the highway. Meet up, talk about guns, check it out, exch paperwork, etc. He then says check this out and shows me his Krink SBR that he has in his trunk. Cool. Then shake hand and I walk back to my car where my wife was waiting. As im walking away I see 3 patrol cars rolling up, two to him and one blocks my car in. I cant really see what happen to the other guy but the office with me asks what going on, asking about buying guns in the parking lot (legal in WI). I'm out of the car still, he asks my wife to exit the vehicle and puts her in the back of the patrol car ( she is really not happy). Seems someone saw guns and called police/911 and they had all raced over. I explain what is happening show him a copy of my 03 and the file copy I have of his and he realises its on the up and up. So far. He leaves me alone by my car and walks over to the other guy and officers (my wife is still in the back of the patrol car). This guy ends up getting arrested for carrying concealed when WI does not allow it yet. My officer lets my wife out of the car and tells me to put the gun in the trunk so its being xported safely and lets us go. My wife still brings this up now and again. She is still not happy about the whole situation.

Went to meet a guy in Forest Grove to sell him some powder. Since I had already planned on being there earlier in the day, I found a convenient place to meet and texted him that I would meet him in such-and-such parking lot under THE tree in the corner. (there was only one tree!). Get there a few minutes early and wait. Guy drives up and parks beside me so I get out with powder in hand. Greet him and he says "Here it is."
"Here's what?" I ask.
"The car." he says.
"Aren't you here to buy some powder?" I ask.
"No. Aren't you here to buy a car?" he replies.
Apparently we had both scheduled a meeting at the same place and time. After a few minutes his buyer shows up and they drive off. A little while later my buyer texts me asking where I am. I remind him that we are meeting under THE tree. He has been sitting in the middle of the parking lot, maybe 75-100 yards away waiting for who knows what. Finally get together and make the deal.

Went to meet a guy in Forest Grove to sell him some powder. Since I had already planned on being there earlier in the day, I found a convenient place to meet and texted him that I would meet him in such-and-such parking lot under THE tree in the corner. (there was only one tree!). Get there a few minutes early and wait. Guy drives up and parks beside me so I get out with powder in hand. Greet him and he says "Here it is."
"Here's what?" I ask.
"The car." he says.
"Aren't you here to buy some powder?" I ask.
"No. Aren't you here to buy a car?" he replies.
Apparently we had both scheduled a meeting at the same place and time. After a few minutes his buyer shows up and they drive off. A little while later my buyer texts me asking where I am. I remind him that we are meeting under THE tree. He has been sitting in the middle of the parking lot, maybe 75-100 yards away waiting for who knows what. Finally get together and make the deal.
Should've asked if he'd trade the powder for the car.

Sold a nice S&W .357 revolver to a real tall guy (think Lurch), and after the inspection and payment part was over with, he told me that he was extremely happy to have found one in such good condition and then proceeded to give me a great big bear hug.
I'm not talking about a "glad to see ya bro" type hug.
I'm talking a spinal popping chiropractic re-alignment with feet leaving the ground type hug.
He then tells me about living alone and traveling all around the state for his work.

Yep, The dog showed up one day, and Pat's mom started calling him "Stranger."
After some antics by the dog, it got shortened to "Strange."
I have most of Pat's books, and remember "Crazy Eddie Muldoon," "Retch Sweeney," "Rancid Crabtree," and the rest. Pat is around 82 now, and the website has been taken down.

Weird so many have had somewhat negative interactions. I have done many of these all over Oregon and California and never had any issues. I have set rules and procedures maybe that why.

1. I want and email or text record
2. Want a phone number.
3. Meeting in the day in a public place not my home.
4. I never wait more then 15 minutes.
5. I always bring someone else with me 99% of the time as a witness and my six.
6. I make sure I am chambered .

Number six ^ is important as over the years people have gone to car sales with cash and then been robbed. I never heard it happen with firearms transfers but I watch the persons hands the whole time we are there just instinctive I guess even if we are laughing and getting along my hackles stay up until I know its all clear and I can go home.

I remember too as well a guy giving me a hug in a transfer, just about belted him.
He didnt know that but dang guy getting that close when we are with firearms makes me touchy. So if I ever trade with any of you I dont know. Don't hug me ROFL:s0140::s0140:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that once and it made my head hurt. I think you're lucky he didn't call the cops and his posse on you?. you circle the wagons boy you! what? ow

I read that once and it made my head hurt. I think you're lucky he didn't call the cops and his posse on you?. you circle the wagons boy you! what? ow
Seems like absolutely passive aggressive. I would have hailed so loud from afar and afair you'd a shart yer shorts sure as the sun. pretty odd

I recently sold a SIG in Portland and the buyer was great but the two females running the store were kind of strange. Maybe some missing teeth, really open with some embarrassing personal information. One had a nice tooshie though. Who am I kidding, I'd hit it.
"Tooshie" or "toothie"?

Should've asked if he'd trade the powder for the car.
It wasn't much of car, Mercedes. Besides, in the market of the time the powder was worth way more to me than a Mercedes. You know, at least $25 or so.

I have met people from here and Craigslist at my house, their house, public places and never had a problem, knock on wood. Some folks are a little "different" but none have given me cause to be concerned.

It wasn't much of car, Mercedes. Besides, in the market of the time the powder was worth way more to me than a Mercedes. You know, at least $25 or so.

I have met people from here and Craigslist at my house, their house, public places and never had a problem, knock on wood. Some folks are a little "different" but none have given me cause to be concerned.
I never meet a craigslist person without at least one firearm on my person. In fact, when I sold my Subaru, I had an airweight in my right pocket, and a Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster.

I never meet a craigslist person without at least one firearm on my person. In fact, when I sold my Subaru, I had an airweight in my right pocket, and a Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster.
The only person I met from craiglist was cop trading me a service firearm. Ya I know you cant do that on craigs but we did , nice guy awesome firearm I got from him sadly he was moving to California and couldn't take it with him.

Segue... To a Time... Long ago... Being in a group of three, middle of Heidelberg Germany.... Buying.....

A half kilo of Black Afganastan Hash... 40% opium....

ONE HUNDRED YARDS FROM a POLZIE (cop)

I now return you to the regular channel you were reading...

(Circa 1970/71) price: 25 Cents (1 Mark) per gram. I Kidd you not....

OK, Stop drooling on your keyboards, the stuff "I was told" was Phyne!!!!

"I didn inhale, I didn exhale, I couldn't remember how to do that" !!!!

Signed/
Anonymous :confused: :eek:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR