JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I want to hear stories about strange/awkward/uncomfortable buying experiences from members here, who met a seller or buyer of a firearm related item and found said seller or buyer to be a little "off". Here is one of mine: I messaged a guy about an AMD-type muzzle brake for an AK he had for sale, I think he lived in Vancouver. I saw the ad for the item either here or on outdoorstrader.com, back when it was still around. So anyways, he asked if I could come pick it up from his place, I said I could. He gave me his address and I told him I'd pick it up the next day when I was off work. At the time, I worked for Loomis, driving an armored truck (worst job EVER, btw) and once I clocked out, I hopped onto I-5 and headed to the address he had given me. I arrived at his place, texted him to let him know I was there, went up and knocked on his door. He opened it, we exchanged greetings, and I immediately notice a USP in an OWB holster on his right hip. No biggie, his house and all. I enter his living room, and he walks backwards from the front door across the living room and into the kitchen, mean mugging me the entire time. I ask "wheres the part?" he nods towards a table at the center of the room. I see the part and I start feeling funny; the way the guy was eyeballing me and his posture, with his gun-hip canted away from me with his hands clasped at belt level, made me feel like he was just waiting for me to make one wrong move so he could practice some Magpul dynamics crap and hold me at gun point and feel like Sonny Puzikas or something... Anyways, I grab the part and the guy says "leave the money on the table", which I did. I say my thanks and he mumbles something and I leave. Anyways, the guy just struck me as someone who read too many books by Jim Cirillo and really wanted an excuse to pull his rod and feel like a big hero. All that crap over a $10 part. Its funny too, because I remember the guy insisting that I meet him at his place, and he invited me in... I'm pretty sure I didn't look sketch, as I was clean cut and still in my Loomis uniform (my gun and belt were secured in my trunk). The guy was just acting really funny. Anyways, anyone got one they feel like sharing?

Dang that is creepy. I've had nothing but good experiences on here. Even had good experiences from craigslist and armlist.
But I always prepare for the worst.
Sounds like that guy was a police recruit failure reading too many craigslist anus raping stories.
I try to never have people meet me at my house. Ever.
I've heard a lot of bad stories though.

I had a couple from Tacoma respond to my Vancouver, WA ad. They showed up at Starbucks as agreed but tried to pass fake $100 bills to me. I refused the sale and they got agitated. I put my hand on my hip (CC) and called the sheriff to report them. They left swearing but drove away in a hurry.

I had a couple from Tacoma respond to my Vancouver, WA ad. They showed up at Starbucks as agreed but tried to pass fake $100 bills to me. I refused the sale and they got agitated. I put my hand on my hip (CC) and called the sheriff to report them. They left swearing but drove away in a hurry.
Curious how you determined that. Super bubblegumty fakes, or do you bring a pen to meetings? I've considered doing that on occasion, and curious what others do.

Had a friend who worked as a teller. He said most counterfeits are pretty sad. He told the tale of the stack of $100 bills on special coated inkjet paper a guy tried to deposit in his account. Glossy coated on one side, so the front was bright and shiny and the back was NOT meant to be printed on, so the guy had glued two sheets together. My friend just looked at him and shook his head. The guy asked for his ID back then bolted when my friend refused. Just how stoned do you have to be for that to be a good idea?

Curious how you determined that. Super bubblegumty fakes, or do you bring a pen to meetings? I've considered doing that on occasion, and curious what others do.

The fakes were actually pretty good, but the ink was not quite the correct color and the micro strips inside the bills were missing but should have been there for the year of bills.

One odd one for me involved a simple purchase of a used stock. Did the usual PM followed by text. Originally he wanted me to meet him at a business in PDX. A few moments before I arrived, he texted again and asked if I could meet him at his house. That wasn't a bid deal because it was only 3 blocks from the spot we were supposed to meet. I texted back that I'd be there in about 2 minutes, he said he'd be waiting.

I got to the house and knocked on the door, no answer. A moment later an old gentleman opened the door and addressed me in Spanish. Since yo no hablo esapanol, I did my best to ask for the guy by name. He looked confused, so I asked again, emphasizing the name, the second time attempting the few words I think I may know ;) "es Roberto aqui?". Finally it clicked and he indicated for me to wait while he went to find the guy.

Now, the house didn't look like it was 25,000 square feet, but it must have been because, no kidding, 5 minutes later, the guy finally shows up at the door. Now, we had just texted a couple of minutes earlier, he knew I would be there, you would think he would have been waiting. After that, the transaction went fine, but it was just odd that he seemed almost surprised at my arrival. Very strange.

I'm not really a fan of meeting people at their houses, I prefer to avoid it, though I have done it several times. As far as meeting at my house - that's a no go. I've never made a sale for anything at my house, never will.

Last Edited:
I think my strangest was when I was selling two of my Taurus firearms, the guy used a first name in emails and calls so do I. I just wait to check ID and stuff at the transfer. Anyways guy shows up and its a well known public official. I was thrown back a second and after a few snickers and laughs we did the trade.
I told him I would not repeat his name in the sale as he had asked. But I found it funny that it was a well known politician. Ya he is very pro-2nd so was great doing the transaction.
Most all my transactions are good ones. I have had a few no-shows after driving two hours, but no weird stuff just good stuff some that often led to getting coffee after the trade and BS about guns and 2nd stuff.

I once met a guy who had arrived in a truck from Washington with a trailer with plates from Utah I think and a Texas driver's license. I told him we could run up to a local FFL but he declined so I didnt sell the gun that day. I always believe if it doesn't feel right, don't do it!

Neat thread;

"Strangest" buying experience; anywhere there is the proverbial "guy" "friend", or "good ole boy", who is not an employee, but one who sits behind the gun counter....keeping the shop-owner company, hanging around the gun store; speechlessly-watching other people shop, or discussing some of what is discussed in online forums between a customer's questions; perhaps having eyes or ears on the exchange of my private information.....

That is the 1st thing I look for when I walk into a store...if a good ole boy is there in that manner......it's about face, forward march.

There was an associate who worked at the McMinnville BiMart; he would literally yell a buyer's private info into the phone during the background checks....

For a while, there was a uniformed Marion Co deputy who would do the same thing at a sporting goods store in Salem; leaning on the glass case, chatting with the clerk, watching people....turns me away lickity-split.

A buyer's privacy should be respected AT ALL TIMES.

Last Edited:
Most awkward? That would be in 1980 when my boat was in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for overhaul, and I had to go to a Kittery, ME sex shop and buy, "certain tools" for my Chief's initiation.
So... Like wrenches and hammers and stuff?

I once pulled over at night to ask directions and the lady offered me a lot me a lot more then that.

I keep telling myself it's my devilishly good looks but I'm not always sure about that...:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top