JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your view is interesting. But it is the same as the view you expressed in your last sentence.
You hang with "your" generation because you choose to use lazy corrupt speech and are intolerant of anyone who is not just like you.

Using proper terminology usually displays an actual knowledge of the subject matter. You seem to feel that laziness and ignorance is acceptable.

So pack heat. fondle your rod, grab your gat. toss some bullets in your clip and chill with the home boys.

EXACTLY! How does it feel to be right?

O-l-d f-a-r-t-s

Most of you guys crack me up.
I can't help but envision you posting while yelling at the neighbor kid to get off the lawn and sipping Sanka or Folgers Crystals.

Shoot well, shoot more and keep to yourself if you need to.

I suppose black people and hispanics crack you up too. I suppose you picture hispanics eating a lot of beans, and black people enjoying watermelon.Trying to perpetuate stereotypes and thinking you are funny only shows us all your ignorance, resorting to name calling proves what kind of person you really are. Denegrating people based on sex, race, age, national origin has no place in an educated society, or on this board.

I suppose you really can't fix stupid.

I suppose you picture hispanics eating a lot of beans, and black people enjoying watermelon.

Yes. And I am an German/Italian mutt who is hot-headed and drinks alot of beer and old people are crotchetty. My Irish friend just got a DUI. It is what it is:)

Celebrating ignorance, lack of education, or even the desire to learn is so "Bush Era". Grow up, get your GED, try to improve yourself. Learning is a lifetime commitment.

Have to agree, only ignorance, and lack of education can explain our present situation with the "The Obama Era"

Clip.

It's pretty much the only thing out there I'm really ANAL about. Makes me totally crazy. Probably because I own a few clip-fed rifles, but students will tell you I was cool with "The thing that you pull back," (referring to a pistol slide or bolt handle," "Bullet" (meaning cartridge) and any number of other things, but "clip" (meaning magazine) is the one and only thing I NEVER let slide without comment.

who cares? if the way someone talks bothers you then you're the one with the problem, I call them CLIPS all day long, why? because when you say MAGAZINE you look like a nerd, if anyone has a problem with it they can kick rocks, I also bump fire, voted for Bush, had a child out of wedlock and could really care less about anyones opinion, I'll refer to a gun as a "heat" just to get a rise out of people. If ya cant handle it then kick rocks, I would much rather hang out with people from my generation anyways and feel no need to impress anybody with "proper terminology"

let me guess, freedom of speech and expression only applies if it meets the status quo, right? especially in this state, "oh we are so accepting and tolerant of everybody AS LONG AS THEY ARE JUST LIKE US"

Wow, project much?

The objection to the word "clip" instead of magazine is that it's referring to a specific thing. A clip is NOT the same as a magazine. Not even kinda sorta. They are two distinct and extremely different vehicles for holding ammunition, one, often not even lasting past the loading stage. The other, a reusable semi-permanent method of ammunition storage available for very fast loading.

BTW, "I could care less" means you CARE about what people think. You were looking for and FAILING to use the correct: "I couldn't care less."

People like you give me a giggle. Post an objection to one pet peeve (something with an actual meaning issue) and in the same paragraph use one of the most common and yet utterly ignorant turns of phrase out there. Just so ya know, avoid "For all intensive purposes," too. It makes you look like a maroon. -And no, that's not a typo.

Not at all. Folks of any age, color, gender, gender preference who adhere to the belief that the world around us and, in this case language, should not change under any circumstances and who cling to dogma are the focus of my statement. Despite the use of the term old in old-farts I am not convinced that it has anything to do with age but rather the inability to accept change and moreover an inability to consider that a particular, often tightly-held, point of view may be incorrect. I've met plenty of young people who are pretty set in their ways and unwilling to change or at least reflect and ponder their reasoning behind a particular set of values. Carry on as you choose but understand that the facts, as you see them, may be nothing but BS.

Not at all. Folks of any age, color, gender, gender preference who adhere to the belief that the world around us and, in this case language, should not change under any circumstances and who cling to dogma are the focus of my statement. Despite the use of the term old in old-farts I am not convinced that it has anything to do with age but rather the inability to accept change and moreover an inability to consider that a particular, often tightly-held, point of view may be incorrect. I've met plenty of young people who are pretty set in their ways and unwilling to change or at least reflect and ponder their reasoning behind a particular set of values. Carry on as you choose but understand that the facts, as you see them, may be nothing but BS.

Well said: a treatise seemingly opposed to the Prescriptive approach to language, while delivered in (and therefore credit to) the same.

There is a certain danger in elevating ourselves above others as a result of language they use, because often that elevation can be shown to be false (and we become embarrassed, or we offend). The speaker using "clip" (when technically what is meant is "magazine") may full well know the difference. He may full well know more than many in the "magazine" crowd about guns in general. If we elevate ourselves above him , we also isolate ourselves from him, and the loss may well be our own (unable to absorb what else he has to offer).

He may have been raised to believe that is the correct term. Although learning later it is not technically accurate, it is what he is comfortable with, and it is the first thing that comes to mind when referring to that object. "He" might also be a gun brochure from a major firearms manufacturer. This alone is evidence that the "magazine adherents" are losing their (perhaps originally admirable) battle. ("Look out you rock 'n' rollers!")

Once we appoint ourselves the "gun terminology police", and feel the need to crusade toward correcting each and every word we find to be technically improper, we have then chosen to take up residence where our only necessary household cleaning fluid is Windex. There will always be a faster gun coming into town, armed with the sharp rocks and willing to throw them. Our elevated perch is truthfully very fragile, temporary, and often false. Others who have not chosen to live there, but reside in sturdier structures closer to the ground (maybe even in the neighborhood of "clip users") immediately recognize the elevated residents for what they are, and are mildly amused by them, knowing what is in store for them. (Do you pronounce the Finland gunmaker "Say-ko"? If so, you are wrong: the correct pronunciation, almost NEVER heard in America is something more akin to what you might call an inflated punching-bag clown.)

Once again, slang, or more accurately "vernacular" (language used commonly by the general populace of a region or demographic) can be the BEST way to communicate. Often more efficient. Often more easily understood. OFTEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

Let us have deep sympathy for and share the sorrow of the (hypothetical) mother of a soldier who reads a communique' beginning with "The Department of Defense regrets to inform you...". An accompanying paragraph from the soldier's sergeant describes her son's tragic last minutes. She knows her son to be the type that always insisted people use the language correctly, and was especially precise and demanding when it came to his interest in firearms. The Sergeant is kind enough to supply her with her son's final heroic words from the field of battle:

"My magazine seems to have developed a failure to dispense a cartridge into the chamber of my Colt's M16A2, caliber 5.56 millimeter! Please direct fire from that Browning M2 Heavy Barrel Machine Gun, Cailber .50 toward the oppositional forces....."

A tear comes to Mother's eye as she longs for a different outcome if only he'd said, "Friggin' clip's jammed! Grease 'em with MaDeuce!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top