JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I wouldn't have guessed you are travelling to Hungary from UK to do your shooting. I do cleave to the idea of human head size proficiency as good enough shooting. The black ball on my paper military targets is about the size of a human head. My own capabilities do not extend to ranges such as 900 meters. Or is it metres?

I travel to Hungary and CZ whenever I feel the need. There are annual paramilitary and police sharpshooter competitions in the Czech republic and Hungary - where they still have places where you can shoot further than 300m, basically military or ex-military ranges and training areas. All of the rest of Western Europe only has 300m ranges - not a lot of use to us who shoot semi-tactically in counter-sniper paramilitary or police roles. There are similar comps held in the Russian Federation - you can see them on Yotube - but I have a lifetime ban on travelling there. Our numerous long ranges in Germany disappeared when the British Army left, and they are all housing estates now. Hungary is just fine.

The yUK - which is not IN Western Europe - has some much longer ranges than 900m - in fact, there are at least five ranges out to 4000m, as well as a few commercial ranges in rural and hilly landscapes where this sort of thing might take place, if there was a will to do so. Orion Range Experience is one such location. It is both hilly, windy, subject to appalling sudden changes in weather [it's in Wales, say no more] and filled with suitable 'stands' and 'lay-ups' for this kind of shooting - it is, however, very expensive, and I'm being kind here. Our long ranges at Diggle would seem to be em eminently suitable, but as far as I am aware, nobody has gotten around to plotting/planning it. Accommodations would present a major problem - there is none for miles around.

However, travelling with around mainland Europe is much easier if you are already on the Continent. We all have a European Firearms Passes, but as of January 1st those of us living in UK had ours cancelled. Making arrangements for future events, especially with this "£"£$^"£$£""436 coronavirus, is going to be a RPITA to say the least - IF it ever takes place again.

FYI, since you asked - 100cm = 1 metre. Any multiple of it, or decimal fraction of it, like millimetre of kilometre, is spelled the same way. However, American English spells it -meter. A meter is a device that is used to measure something. Me, I don't lose sleep over it - right now I'm jonesing for a large salami sammidge and a half-pint mug of Joe.

Last Edited:
Most Accurate Dies for Precision handloading?

Easy, the ones owned by someone who puts the time in to LEARN how to really use them. Period.

$$ helps but a guy that knows how to rock a set of 1950's dies exactly for his firearm is going to win over the latest thing with micrometers (@tac I worked "meter" in for ya), lasers or sub-nuclear particles injected into the unitiaum metal used to make the "ultimate die".

Me? At it over 30yrs and still have a ton to learn.

Most Accurate Dies for Precision handloading?

Easy, the ones owned by someone who puts the time in to LEARN how to really use them. Period.

$$ helps but a guy that knows how to rock a set of 1950's dies exactly for his firearm is going to win over the latest thing with micrometers (@tac I worked "meter" in for ya), lasers or sub-nuclear particles injected into the unitiaum metal used to make the "ultimate die".

Me? At it over 30yrs and still have a ton to learn.

Metre, schmetre, tomAHto, tomAYTo, shrug.

I have other things to worry about right now, like, where's my sammidge?

My favorite target beyond 500 yards.

20200428_154603.jpg

He doesn't look very happy. Perhaps because he knows he's going to get shot? :D
Wife asked the question, "did you draw that?" She's witnessed me be a ornery grizzly all day. The visage reflects my mood at the time: changed some redundant network configuration settings to what they're "supposed" to be, and have been fighting it ever since.

Wife asked the question, "did you draw that?" She's witnessed me be a ornery grizzly all day. The visage reflects my mood at the time: changed some redundant network configuration settings to what they're "supposed" to be, and have been fighting it ever since.
I can easily relate.

Btw if anyone cares, I did do a comparison of bullet runout between the Forster ultra micrometer seating die on an RCBS press and the Wilson die on an arbor press. There was no discernible runout difference between the two. If anything the Forster was ever so slightly better, but I'd call it a draw.

I used the Sinclair gauge to check runout on 20 samples of each.

RCBS Universal decap die, Lee collet neck die, Redding body die, Forster ultra micrometer seater die, Lee factory crimp die. hornady split rings on all dies. And Hornady die boxes for all. I have had less case stretch using the lee collet die as I'm not pulling an expander ball back through the neck. I run the body die every time to set back .002 set after measuring 10 pieces of fired brass and taking an average. The forster bench rest die is good enough for most I just go with the micrometer so I can load different bullets for different rifles. I can load ammo all day that shoots better than most of us can shoot with these dies. There are so many variables that dies alone won't get you there. I was arranging bullets today and thinking why do I have 10-15 different manufacturers and weight bullets of 22's, 6mm, 6.5, .270, 30cal. And that's 10-15 boxes of each with only 10-20 rounds out of each. Close to 40 1lb of powder and even different primers. And all this time I thought I got into reloading to save money and shoot more.

All this high-falutin' reloading gear is great for those who feel the need, and, of course, there is nothing wrong with that. I bought my Rockchucker back in 1978 from Wiesbaden R&GC, and a few sets of RCBS dies I felt the need for, including an ordinary .308 set.

This is what they still make for me - three shots at 100m from my 1986 Krico, the only real 'target-y' rifle I own in centre-fire.

1589027495371.png

I really don't know how having a couple of thousand dollars- worth of ballistic laboratory equipment could improve on that, TBH. But each to their own, right?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top