JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is directed at those who have spent considerable time and objective testing of various brands of .22LR Hollowpoint ammunition, and understand that ammunition choice is extremely important for .22LR guns to shoot well.

What groups best in your quality hunting .22? (Rifle or pistol)

What gun is it?

What range did you test at? 50 yards (rifle) would be a standard, I'd think.

Did you chronograph?

Did you do impact testing? What media?

To start this off, I've tested numerous offerings in my Ruger M77 (standard wt barrel). Best for accuracy has been the Federal Hi-Power HP (the high-grade offering, not the bulk version), followed closely by the CCI Mini Mag HP.

I shoot primarily the CCI, since it is more readily available than the Federal.

The CCI averages .70" at 50 yards in this gun. Some groups at .50"

Capturing the bullet in plastic water jugs results in a perfect mushroom.

This bullet invariably stops within a raccoon's skull, and is also perfectly expanded.

Accuracy disasters? CCI Stingers. all over the map in multiple guns.

Take your favorite match grade .22lr ammo and have at it with this: <broken link removed>

Federal 719 match ammo has given me the smallest groups. It chronographs around the advertised speed out of a 16" barrel. I don't shoot much of it because it's just too darned expensive.

CCI minimag hollow points seem to shoot pretty well for me. That's about all I can say as I have only tested them for groups.

Here is a 100 yard group with Federal 719:

scan0001.jpg

Is that group with the modification (hollowpointing), or without?

No fibbing! Either way, that's pretty impressive.

Of course, match ammo (Eley, etc.) does much better than CCI HP's in my 77-22, but the purpose here is to survey and find what works best as a hollowpoint hunting load, available on the market.

I was gonna ask what gun, and I see now on the target: 10-22 with a Green Mt. barrel. Again: very impressive.

I've tried everything from Fed Match 711 (groups like a dime!) to white box Olin, to Rem-chester value packs.

For what I use my .22 for, I really like Federal 510 or Federal AE22 Hollow Points for the balance between accuracy & cost. They seem to hold to minute of critter out to where I'm comfortable shooting at them, pretty much readily available at most stores, and shoot well-enough for iron sights and Mk2 eyeball.

Yup, I know the Federal 510's aren't hollowpoints, but they seem to work well. Each rifle is different, and the only way to find out how well they work in your rifle is to give them a (literal) shot.

An issue here is the lot to lot variations inherent in rimfire ammunition. When I was at Quantico, the WTB/mtu there had a couple of guys doing nothing but test firing different brands/lots of .22LR. When they found a "good" batch, they would buy it all.

W_W Power points They group well out of a custom 10/22,Mark II slabside and a savage bolt gun and knock the snott out of Diggers.

Best hollow points I have used.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top