JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All:

I have a chance to trade for one of these SPX Tactical shotguns but I don't know much about them. Nearly all the reviews I have read are positive. Do any of you have one and if so how do you like it?

Thank You:

James

Hi All:

I have a chance to trade for one of these SPX Tactical shotguns but I don't know much about them. Nearly all the reviews I have read are positive. Do any of you have one and if so how do you like it?

Thank You:

James

Have not yet shot one but every time I see a review of them it makes me want to buy one. 930 line gets great reviews and the model you are asking about is the one that has me taking some long second looks at. Looks like it would be a great SHTF gun for guys like me that can't see well enough to worry about long distance any more. :s0112:

Have not yet shot one but every time I see a review of them it makes me want to buy one. 930 line gets great reviews and the model you are asking about is the one that has me taking some long second looks at. Looks like it would be a great SHTF gun for guys like me that can't see well enough to worry about long distance any more. :s0112:

I was looking at some reviews 930 back in 2013 and some people said it was a great shotgun for the price but other people were having issues. Did Mossberg finally get the 930 issues worked out. I was reading on AR15.com in the shotgun forum and I guy said he wanted the throw the gun in the creek.

I love this shotgun - but im about to throw it in the creek (update pg2: gun is back from repair) - AR15.COM

Thanks All:

I am going to make the trade and it should workout good. The gun I am trading is worth about $440.

Thanks for your comments.

James

I've been considering either a 930 or a 590 for my next 12ga. I'm torn though because pump guns are simple but the speed of an autoloader is very attractive, and the JM 930 price point and capacity has just about sealed the deal for me.

I bought a FNH 18" SLP back in 2013 and the speed is amazing since I fired the shotgun so quickly that the shells are in the air. I cannot shoot fast enough without a alot of practice but I shoot 3 shots quite easily.

I bet dollars to donuts that problems with the 930 that are searchable on the interwebz are mostly ammo-related. Additionally, Mossberg is no Remington. I'm betting Mossberg fixes their problems and supports the problems that get through!

I rencently bought a 590 from a member and I had been researching the 500, 590, and 930 for several months. I decided on the 590 because I could only have one (for now) and I knew a pump was bomb proof.

But in all the reading and videos I watched/read I never read anything that suggested the auto loading 930 was any less reliable than the 500/590.

The 930 is on my short list

Oh, in the 3-gun world, the 930 is NOT considered bomb proof. I'm not suggesting that chatter on the interwebz is definitive, but the 930 is not the standard in anywhere near the way that Mossberg's pumps are considered to be. Now, on the other side of this coin, most reliability issues with any semi-auto are with low-brass light target loads, which is exactly what 3-gunners use all the time. SD loads will probably run almost any semi-auto shottie on the market.

Oh, in the 3-gun world, the 930 is NOT considered bomb proof. I'm not suggesting that chatter on the interwebz is definitive, but the 930 is not the standard in anywhere near the way that Mossberg's pumps are considered to be. Now, on the other side of this coin, most reliability issues with any semi-auto are with low-brass light target loads, which is exactly what 3-gunners use all the time. SD loads will probably run almost any semi-auto shottie on the market.

Actually, a lot of 3 gun shooters avoid low power target loads, and instead go with high velocity 3 1/2 dram 1 1/8 oz or even 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz heavy field loads, in order to insure that targets get hit with enough power to knock them down.

The main restrictions on Shotgun birdshot ammo for 3 gun is that steel shot is not allowed. The Pellets must be lead. And shot size must be no larger than #5 shot. Although I know that there are ranges where nothing larger than # 7 1/2 birdshot is allowed, due to range restrictions.

For traditional target clay shooting I think that something better than the 930 would be in order. But for 3 gun competition, the shooter should have no trouble using more powerful ammo that will cycle the gun with absolute reliability.

And one can find good deals on field loads, especially if the ammo is purchased in bulk cases.

But guys (and girls) get this false sense of what bomb proof is in a heavy use environment. Just like Glocks, ARs, etc.
Everything has a lifespan, and everything needs propper maintenance.

I have these cables at work that say that will go down to 50% before needing to be replaced. They only pull about 400lbs, but say they will do 2000lbs.

I change them out once they get to 90%.

But a break can be an injury waiting to happen.

Guns are the same way. Maintenace and swapping springs, pins, etc after a certain use.

I bought a FNH 18" SLP back in 2013 and the speed is amazing since I fired the shotgun so quickly that the shells are in the air. I cannot shoot fast enough without a alot of practice but I shoot 3 shots quite easily.

The FN SLP is an excellent shotgun. Beretta's newer model 1301 comes standard with a 5 shot magazine, but can be had with an optional 9 round magazine too. It is another good choice that people could consider. Both of these shotguns are much more expensive than a 930 SPX, however.

1301 Comp With Optional Magazine Extension

Beretta Takes on Tactical: the 1301 Shotgun Review

Beretta-1301-Tactical-Shotgun-2.jpg

Last Edited:
A little late to the party, but own a 930 SPX Tactical and have to say that so far it' exceeded expectations. I shoot nothing but cheap Walmart shells thru it and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Many on the internet and youtube have had similar findings function wise. To me it' a keeper, and for the price I don' think you can go wrong with this semi shotgun. I acquired mine also thru trade. Here is how mine sits, will be adding a red dot soon.
20180210_105050_zpsxuxb29hf.jpg

Last Edited:
I forgot to update this myself. I bought one and it cycles the cheap low brass like a boss! Great scatter gun!

i have one too, I prefer the ghost ring over a red dot, but I did run a Vortex venom on it for several hundred rounds but went back to the ghost ring set up. I read the reviews about ammo and the failures and it made me shy away but I was in Northwestern Pawn on day and I couldn't pass it up. run the bulk Wally world stuff through it without a hickup

I just picked up a new 930spx Tac. Does anyone else hate the elevator? I've been trying to load twins and the rounds either get caught on the receiver port or the elevator grabs my thumb like a Chinese finger trap. Has anyone done the elevator "v-mod" or port modification? Just curious if it's worth the trouble.

In contrast, my 500 is much smoother to load. I'm sure some of that has to due with being broken in, but the 500 elevator never grabs my thumb.

I had an issue with my 930 JM for the first time 3 weeks ago. For some reason it wasn't grabbing the next round and then the bolt was staying open. I haven't cleaned it since 5 or 600 rounds. so I'm sure it's just do for a good cleaning. From the few people that I know that have them only time they seem to have an issue is when they get real dirty.

I'll update if after I clean mine if I still seeing the same issue.