JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok here we go I have been looking and reading. I would like to see what you all think pros and cons. I have been looking for a 20 gauge tactical defense for the wife. Its only for fun at the range :s0114: what do you think between the Mossberg vs Remington? I think Remington has $30 off right now so thats a plus but want to kept it around or under $300. She like the Remington 870 with 18" barrel nothing crazy just all black with tube extender 6+1 is good enough. No pistol grip just regular shotgun stock but in black. Main purpose is fun at the range and HD. i know 12 gauge is better she used mine once and that will be the last time. She does not even want to look at it again :s0114: its not a option trust me......... What do you think????????????????

I prefer the Remington. I've had a few Mossbergs. The parts tend to get a little loose and sloppy on ya, at least they did with mine. Right now I have an 870 super mag and an NEF 870 copy. I like them both way better than my Mossbergs.

I have a few mossbergs and I think they're great shotguns... but in reality, they're both good reliable guns with very minor differences.

The main real difference is the safety. The Remington is by the trigger, the mossberg's is on top of the receiver.

Choose which safety you like better and you've found your rifle.

Both made in USA so both would work fine for your purposes in my opinion. Just a heads but I just got Bi-marts add for black friday sale and the remington home defense 870 is going for $269.99 (after rebate) and big five has the field/security combo for $259.

Both made in USA so both would work fine for your purposes in my opinion. Just a heads but I just got Bi-marts add for black friday sale and the remington home defense 870 is going for $269.99 (after rebate) and big five has the field/security combo for $259.

Oh why oh why did I check this thread?!? Now you've set upon me a great temptation! :D

I've actually been mulling over the same question myself for a few months. I'm a lefty, so the Mossberg's safety location makes a lot of sense in a home-defense situation. For any other time, trigger-guard mounted safeties are only a minor nuciance.

Do you know if this will be on the 20g or is it for the 12g only? :huh:

Do you know if this will be on the 20g or is it for the 12g only? :huh:

My 1st pump gun was the Mossy 500 two barrel combo in 20 ga. got it @ Bi-Mart on one of the seemingly regular sales they run. Cheap and reliable until I decided to trade up to the 12 Ga. version which has proven just as cheap and just as reliable.:s0155:
I also prefer the safety location on the Mossberg.

Of the Mossbergs, I prefer the 590 series. The 500 series always seems to rust faster than any other firearm I've had.

I own two 870's and a 590 and there isn't alot to argue against either. Being 20 guage and not the 'hot' seller your wife can probably shop around. I believe there might even be one for sale here on the board.

SF-

I grew up shooting my Dad's 870 for birds and clay pigeons. Sometimes Jackrabbits. When I joined the military I got intimate with the 500. So I'm kind of partial to both. They're both really good shotguns. You really can't go wrong either way. At this point though my muscle memory is more in tune with the 500, so that's what I bought for the house after I got out. I really like it. I bought one that came with just a pistol grip. Short breacher barrel. I dressed it up with a Butler Creek folder and a sidesaddle with a Surefire mounted. The 870 is a really good one as well. Like was already mentioned here, find the one that feels right and you can't go wrong.

Remington and Mossberg have comparable quality and both have great warranties. There is a variety of after market equipment you can get for both. They both have great styles and a variety of models that can suit your purposes. What it will really boil down to is price. I do believe Mossbergs are a bit cheaper but then again I haven't shopped for a new one, ever. We have a Maverick 88 and a Mossberg 590 and while they sound "loose" they are solid where it counts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top