JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 590 SP and a Knoxx stock. I like the Mossberg safety since it's right where I can see it, but a pistol grip renders it difficult to reach. I got a Calvary Arms SST-590 safety, which is wider, but still not very easy to reach. I knew that it wouldn't work for me, but I got it for the purpose of copying the part that connects to the gun without having to take my it apart.

Never leaving well enough alone, I have decided to design and have a small quantity made at the machine shop we use a lot at work and wanted to run the concept across folks for opinions before I started the modeling, created the drawing, and have it made.

My idea is an ambidextrous "handlebar" safety that comes out around the side of the gun and drops down enough that you can push it forward with one thumb and pull it back with the longer forefinger on the other side. I'm thinking that the outside profile wouldn't stick out any farther than necessary to engage/disengage it with your thumb/first finger.

My only real concern relates to accidental movement. Since this sticks out on both sides perhaps 1/4", I'm concerned that it might be easily bumped out of safe mode. The other possibility is that it might get bent so that it hangs up on the side of the receiver. I plan on having it made out of 7075 aluminum, which is pretty hard, but can still be damaged. Can someone give me a good idea of the sort of clearance there should be between the safety and the receiver?

Any ideas for improving this concept? Should there be any sort of finger pad that makes it easier to push on? The problem with this idea is that the profile gets wider, increasing the likelihood it might snag or hang up on something.

I'm also open to the concept of having someone make a few, in exchange for one or two for me. Barter is better... I didn't plan on having it anodized black just yet; I want to firm up the design before I went for that expense, and having four or so made isn't that much more expensive than one, since they'll likely get made on a CNC machine anway.

Anything that is easier to hit on purpose will be easier to hit by accident. The Mossberg controls are good for standard stocks, but become almost useless with a pistol grip. When a pistol grip is added, a Remington or Ithaca style control set becomes better. All are good guns, some are just better suited to certain things than others...

The Mossberg controls are good for standard stocks, but become almost useless with a pistol grip. When a pistol grip is added, a Remington or Ithaca style control set becomes better. All are good guns, some are just better suited to certain things than others...

Can't say any better.

I forgot to mention that I went and had the safety made for me. Put it on, and with some fitting, it all went well until I tried to operate it. Seems that the block the switch mounts to can't tolerate any sort of rotating force caused by pushing the safety a small distance from the centerline; it just binds up. Regardless of what I tried, it didn't get better. Scrapped that idea. I have another idea that can address that problem and allow even better access, but since I do my design in CAD first, I just haven't gotten around to making more of a CAD model of the shotgun.

Actually, the inquiry needs to begin with what good is a pistol grip on a tube fed pump action shotgun in the first place. I can see a limited place for a PG without a shoulder stock for having a "cruiser" configuration that at least has the benefit of being shorter.

A PG combined with a shoulder stock? Just not seeing the allure. It screws up the recoil management geometry between the weapon, arm, and
shoulder.

It's the Knoxx stock, and it's for my family, who range from short to tall. If I had to do it all over again, I'd likely go with the 870, but they're getting used to it, but the safety is a slight issue. Well, not a bad issue; I just would like something better.

PG alone is a waste as far as I'm concerned. At the range the other day I saw a fellow with just a PG and a red dot, shooting at a target about 15 feet out. Whatever.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top