JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone happen to own one of the new Mossberg MVP rifles? My son is thinking about buying a .223 varmit rifle and the MVP looks pretty interesting with its 24" heavy fluted 1-9" barrel and the stock design seams very suited to bench and prone shooting. The AR magazine thing is really only an advantage to him because the 5 and 10 rd mags can be had so cheap compared to a rifle like the savages with their 50.00 mags

I've read 4-5 reviews on line and while the rifle does not seam perfect it does seam to have some nice qualities.

Just wondering if anyone has tried one out.

I get a kick out of a review that talks about accuracy using factory ammo in a brand new barrel by an inexperanced shooter.

And .223 to boot I seriously doubt the majority of .223 is loaded to match grade quality. Not for $6-7 bucks a box.

The only thing I don't like is the 1-9" twist. Won't stabilize the heavier bullets that I prefer for varmint shooting.

There is a discussion on Sniper's Hide about the gun using a barrel nut like Savage and having the same shank and thread pitch. The savage wrench fits the MVP's barrel nut, so you could swap on a Savage barrel easily and fix this. However I do believe there was a slight difference in chamber, but the general consensus there said it would work.

The only thing I don't like is the 1-9" twist. Won't stabilize the heavier bullets that I prefer for varmint shooting.

WHAT???? a 1-9 twist in a .224" bore will stablize up to a 70gr bullet. What bullets heavier then 70gr are you shooting in a .22 caliber rifle?

WHAT???? a 1-9 twist in a .224" bore will stablize up to a 70gr bullet. What bullets heavier then 70gr are you shooting in a .22 caliber rifle?

I use 75 gr Hornady A-max in my S&W MP-15 which has a progressive 1- 8 twist with 5R rifling. I should have said that a 1-9 is pushing the edge of heavier bullets. Who know's, every gun is different as to what it shoots best. Just sayin'.

Mark, I stopped by a LGS today and got my hands on an MVP. Looked nice in the rack, grabbed it and threw it up to my shoulder, fit perfect. Be still my beating heart. I gotta have one, just because I want one. Next payday, I'm buying one......NO, get thee behind me Gun Satan.....gotta have one.......NO! YES! I guess that's why they invented credit cards.

My son has decided to be responsable and he's going to put some money away each pay check (he's and E5 in the US NAVY) and get off his butt and sell off his paint ball and airsoft guns he dosen't mess with anymore. So he figures he should have the funds about the First of the year.

In the mean time I am going to keep my eye out for one popping up local. And since he can't buy one in CA where he's stationed (the whole 10 round mag thing) we will work it out that he buys it while home to go varmit hunting this winter.

OK an update we found one at Olies in Salem (actually the closest real gun shop to our house LOL) it was the exact model he is looking at buying. He got to handle it and has decided he really wants one. So he's going to sell off his paint ball guns and airsoft stuff and buy himself a MVP come Christmas time if he can find one.

I got one (just shot it today), and I like it. Works surprisingly well and is setup mostly the way I like it. Trying to work up a good 70 gr load (was given a box of bullets) but so far it seems to prefer 52 gr bthp, shooting those around 0.5-0.75 inch easily enough. 55 gr fmj seems to run more around 1.5-2.0 inches.

We haven't had time to do any shooting yet (my son is in the US NAVY) I just got the last of what we need to start loading for it the other day. I will try to get it on paper before he comes home on leave in Dec. So when he gets home he can do a bunch of shooting and spend his evenings reloading.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top